death prior to original sin

neologist

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:22 am
Pm me next time you head south, my friends. It's a 2 minute side trip off I-5 on the way to Seattle.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:21 pm
pm'd!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:14 pm
Doktor S wrote:
I would find that to be a most interesting cup-o-joe.
Count me in.
Where is the Doc?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:19 am
Dunno. Ask him
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:40 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever. That should be real easy to understand.
Well then if as you say "before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever" then prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals. Therefore the tree of life was not needed for immorality.

I think the only explanation for this is that the God has already known that A&E would sinned one day and be exiled from the Garden of Eden. However, he love human beings and want to save them from their sin and death, so that he create the tree of life in advance for those rebels who would like to believe in him, with the privilege of living in heaven forever.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:55 pm
wwlcj1982 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever. That should be real easy to understand.
Well then if as you say "before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever" then prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals. Therefore the tree of life was not needed for immorality.

I think the only explanation for this is that the God has already known that A&E would sinned one day and be exiled from the Garden of Eden. However, he love human beings and want to save them from their sin and death, so that he create the tree of life in advance for those rebels who would like to believe in him, with the privilege of living in heaven forever.

Or the tree of life is just a symbol for the eternal life in heaven. Otherwise the snake would allure A&E to eat it instead of the tree of knowledge.

And I don't think A&E knew what the death was. If they had knew, they wouldn't have done something like disobeying the order of the God. And the God didn't threaten them too. Because A&E didn't even understand the concept or even had the feeling of fear at that time before their fall from the innocence. It's just that when the snake allure them, they divert their focus on God to the knowledge, which is the cause for their fallen life, for they were tempted to live like the God.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:08 pm
neologist wrote:
I have to be away for a while, but I did bookmark this spot.

Chumly, let's take just one thing:

Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever except for one test. They would not have been immortal because there was the very real possibility of not passing the test.

Were they to have passed the test to God's satisfaction, they would have eliminated the one obstacle to immortality. Exactly how and when the tree of life would have been made available to them is not explained.

I really don't see how your contrived erudition can change this simple fact. (According to the Bible, that is.)

I don't know if you are a Biblist, but I remenber reading somewhere in the New testament that God don't test man. It's the devil's job.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:23 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Hi heph,

It's irrelative where the concepts came from, the point in fact is whether there is logic and/or congruency, that's the charm of critical thinking. It's something I challenge you to demonstrate thusly:

If there was human death prior to original sin, then how could it be as Neo says the "punishment for their sin was/is death" if death was already a given?

It could be because the "death" that was being talked about was not physical but spiritual. ie... separation from God. They were in the garden, in His presence, they disobeyed and were kicked out of the garden, away from His presence. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand Chumly.

I think it doesn't matter whether they understand what punishment means. IMO, original sin was prior to human death. The key problem here is that they should obey God's order.

I agree with hephzibah on spiritually dead when A&E eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge, but not just becase of their disobedience but also they knew the good from evil which make them want to be God. At that moment, the knowledge diverted their life from God-centered to self-centered and all the selfness and sins arising from it.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
What part of exponential growth is speculation?

It's not even a thing, if God knew in advance that A&E would eat the fruits from the tree of knowledge and be exiled from the Garden.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:40 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
I was talking to some one about this an they take it as Adam and Eve were Immortal with no death, They ate from the tree of life as soon as they were given life but even before eating the had no death. They lost there imortality from eating the other fruit.

This would equal out that they didnt instantly die, but still died in the end.

I'd like to raise several other related questions on this topic to those who are interested. Why God create light, plants, animals, humans and so on. Why the snake doesn't lure A&E to eat the fruits in the tree of life. Why A&E sinned after eating the fruits. Why didn't they obey God's order and resist the temptation, what's inside their mind at that moment. Why the penalty(wage) of sin is death? Where did death come from? Why God allow A&E being allured?....
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:56 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
The Hebrew words we read as Garden of Eden literally mean 'paradise of pleasure', so Adam and Eve were already in paradise.

That's fine except it begs the question as to what sort of punishment would death be, from eating of the tree, if the net result of death in (Adam and Eve's case) was to go to heaven which, is also regarded as a paradise. It makes no sense; heaven as punishment?
neologist wrote:
Where did the idea of heaven come in? Not from the passages under discussion. The choice before Adam and Eve was between continued life in the paradise of pleasure or death. If they had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have had war and crime and sickness and death.Whether by now they or any of us would have been considered worthy of tasting the tree of life cannot be determined. Your argument that the tree of life makes no sense is valid only in its application to Chumly.
The idea of heaven came in from your ruminations in justifying the purpose of the tree of life. You suggest the tree represented a "symbolic reward for faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge of good and bad". There is a begged question here which would quite naturally include the implications of Adam and Eve's death. One of the implications of Adam and Eve's death is going to heaven and the immorality that implies.

According to the Bible. Adam and Eve would not go to the heaven after their death, because they sinned and disobeyed God. Their spirit is still in the form of death and they would go to lower world. When the Day of Judgement comes, they will be rised from the lower world and throw in fire of hell forever. But it will not change the fact that they are spiritually dead at the end.
0 Replies

wwlcj1982

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:07 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
but why would god give a test? You can have free will without a temptation.

God doesn't test human being. Only the devil does. God represents the perfect and extremely god aspect of the world. Human beings like Adam and Eve had to decide which way to go, the good or the bad. And they have their own free will to make choices. Either they obey God's order and live a immortal life or they are allured by the snake(devil) and die in sin. They are totoall free to do everything, only that they have to take the consequences from it which is not always beneficial.
0 Replies