death prior to original sin

Treya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:21 pm
Chai, it's not a matter of if others had died before them really. It's were THEY bound to die at some point? If they had eaten of the tree of life they would not have been. They would have become "immortal". That was after all the purpose of the tree of life. They didn't eat of that tree though. So therefore they were mortal and going to die at some point.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:55 pm
oh........ok hephzibah.........

you know, I gotta tell ya.......this doesn't have a thing in the world to do with you lovey.........

that's a bunch a bull dookey. you may quote me.

do you realize what that story would sound like if someone from another religion described this immortal khanuluka bush that if you ate of it their God Estlemato would let you live forever?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 07:26 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Well chumly, where exactly did you find a definition for everlasting life?
As discussed I did not find "a definition for everlasting life" it is "by definition". I do not know what additional/other interpretations you place on these two words but I am satisfied with "by definition" at this point. If you like I'll demo the meanings of "everlasting" & "life"

Everlasting:
Lasting forever; eternal.
Continuing indefinitely or for a long period of time.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Everlasting

Life:
A living being, especially a person
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Life%20

hephzibah wrote:
Obviously if there was a tree there that they could eat from and live forever, they couldn't do so UNLESS they ate of that tree.
Why? It sounds in fact like a glaring contradiction as pointed out earlier.
hephzibah wrote:
So therefore, there WAS physical death before sin.
You have yet to provide any logical and/or congruent explanation as to why there was physical death before sin. Simply saying there was a tree of life is not a merited rationale. By what logic do you come to the conclusion that they could not live forever unless they ate from said tree?

Further even if I was to accept that there was physical death before sin, that still leaves you with just as much of a problem, as pointed out earlier, I'll quote me again
Quote:
If there was human death prior to original sin, then how could it be as Neo says the "punishment for their sin was/is death" if death was already a given? Plus how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death, as he was innocent?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 07:35 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
well...I ask because if A&E were the 1st humans, how could there have been any human death before them?

Am I missing something?.....(scratching ass)
I don't think you're missing anything, I am not sure what your point is though, am I and/or someone and/or some scripture suggesting there was human life before A&E?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 07:57 pm
Point of interest (with humor added):

Irrelative of whether you are a Christian biblical literalist of some desecration (err I mean description), or you prefer some brand of interpretive biblical relief (err I mean belief), there still needs to be a goodly sense of logic and/or congruence in order to have this Adam & Eve death bit function! Thus far no one has been up to the task.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:27 pm
Quote:
You have yet to provide any logical and/or congruent explanation as to why there was physical death before sin.

Hmmm could be because YOU never asked why... Your original post was:

Quote:
If there was human death prior to original sin, then how could it be as Neo says the "punishment for their sin was/is death" if death was already a given.

If there was not human death prior to original sin then man was immortal prior to original sin and thus the tree of life was not needed for immorality.

To which I gave you this:

21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them. 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now,lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"
Quote:
Simply saying there was a tree of life is not a merited rationale.

I didn't simply say there was a tree of life I quoted what the bible says:

lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"[/size]

Quote:
By what logic do you come to the conclusion that they could not live forever unless they ate from said tree?

Here let me show you my logic ONE more time!: Razz

21 Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them. 22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now,lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"
Quote:
If there was human death prior to original sin, then how could it be as Neo says the "punishment for their sin was/is death" if death was already a given? Plus how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death, as he was innocent?

I already stated an answer to this one too. Because it was spiritual death not physical death God was talking about. They weren't "threatened" they were told. Just like me saying... Hey Chum... if you walk out in the road during rush hour you are going to get hit by a car. I'm not threatening to push you in the road. I am merely giving you a piece of advice.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 09:32 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
oh........ok hephzibah.........

you know, I gotta tell ya.......this doesn't have a thing in the world to do with you lovey.........

that's a bunch a bull dookey. you may quote me.

I'll do better than that. I'll add you to my sigline. Laughing

Quote:
do you realize what that story would sound like if someone from another religion described this immortal khanuluka bush that if you ate of it their God Estlemato would let you live forever?

LOL well it would sound pretty similar to the bible to me. Hmmm... I'd have to wonder if they stole the idea from there... :wink:

Edit: I guess I shouldn't JUST joke around. On a more serious note Chai I do understand how utterly ridiculous all of this would sound to someone who views the bible as nothing more than a story or myth of some sort. But... what if it's not? Have you ever wondered that yourself? I do. A lot. Not because I'm afraid of going to hell, but maybe... just maybe... because I would like to believe there is more to life than just living and dying. That there is a greater love out there than we see when we just look at the cold world that surrounds us. That suffering isn't always in vain. That even in my darkest hour when I feel the most alone I've ever felt there's still a hope of something better to carry me through it. Maybe believing that makes me a fool in some peoples eyes. I can understand why it would. But it makes me happy. So if I have to be called a fool by a few people in this life to believe something that makes me happy... then so be it. *shrugs*
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:50 pm
Hi Heph,
Quoting scripture is not tantamount to logic and/or congruency. You have in fact not addressed my points at all vis-a-is logic and/or congruency.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:52 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
There is a difference between everlasting life and immortality. The separating word is trust.
What is your context for the separating word? If I lived forever (or whatever time from frame you wish to apply that would be the reasonable equivalent, given I question the concept of infinity in this context) everlasting life and immortality are equal to me.
Supposing I had the power:
And supposing, as I do, that you have free will:
You may live forever if you prove yourself trustworthy.
Test - pass/fail - pass
You have proven yourself trustworthy, therefore you no longer have the possibility of death.

I can't guarantee this is the explanation, but it seems likely.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:53 pm
There's a big hole in the concept of internal life on earth. If that were so, earth would be too small to accommodate all the following generations of life.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 10:59 pm
Hi Neo,

Why would I need to prove myself trustworthy? What exactly am I needed to be trustworthy for? Why wouldn't god already know my person?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:00 pm
Chumly wrote:
Hi Heph,
Quoting scripture is not tantamount to logic and/or congruency. You have in fact not addressed my points at all vis-a-is logic and/or congruency.

Hi Chum Smile It is when you are talking about concepts that come from the bible... which I believe we were at some point...

Quote:
If there was human death prior to original sin, then how could it be as Neo says the "punishment for their sin was/is death" if death was already a given.

If there was not human death prior to original sin then man was immortal prior to original sin and thus the tree of life was not needed for immorality.

This whole concept came from the bible did it not? Razz (Naner naner boo boo...)

Hi CI. Very Happy Long time no talk.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:03 pm
Well, if as you say, CI - that the life is internal. I'm sure the volume of the earth could accommodate quite a lot. Laughing

However. God told Adam and Eve to "Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth. . . Now, let's suppose you are in a restaurant and you ask the waiter to fill your glass. Would you be happy if he continued to fill the glass until it overflowed onto your lap? Or, would you prefer he filled it to the point where you could drink from it without spilling it on your shirt?

I submit you have not take the time to understand exactly what was promised to and required of the first human pair.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:04 pm
Chumly wrote:
Hi Neo,

Why would I need to prove myself trustworthy? What exactly am I needed to be trustworthy for? Why wouldn't god already know my person?
Have you forgotten so soon about the tree I told you not to eat of?

BZZZT!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:06 pm
Hi heph,

It's irrelative where the concepts came from, the point in fact is whether there is logic and/or congruency, that's the charm of critical thinking. It's something I challenge you to demonstrate thusly:

Therefore it must be that prior to original sin man was immortal!

I then ask, if there was human reproduction pre-"original sin" then the world would very quickly have been wholly overrun run with people. Here's an example of uncontrolled growth
Quote:
The mathematics of uncontrolled growth are frightening. A single cell of the bacterium E. coli would, under ideal circumstances, divide every twenty minutes. That is not particularly disturbing until you think about it, but the fact is that bacteria multiply geometrically: one becomes two, two become four, four become eight, and so on. In this way it can be shown that in a single day, one cell of E. coli could produce a super-colony equal in size and weight to the entire planet Earth.

http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/zoo/andromed.html
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
Chumly wrote:
Let's try again.

Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever. That should be real easy to understand.

Adam and Eve both knew what death was because Adam had been around long enough to name the animals and observe that animals did, in fact, die.

So don't BS us by saying that death did not exist or that Adam and Eve were immortal.

As for whether they would overfill the earth, I refer you to my response to CI, above.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
neologist wrote:
Have you forgotten so soon about the tree I told you not to eat of?

BZZZT!
But we've been through this have we not? It's part and pacel of the conundrum I set forth at the beginning of this thread; that being:

How could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death as he was innocent?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:14 pm
You should have waited a few seconds and read my above post.

BTW, it was not the tree of knowledge like the 'tree of education', it was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 11:37 pm
Chumly wrote:
Hi heph,

It's irrelative where the concepts came from, the point in fact is whether there is logic and/or congruency, that's the charm of critical thinking. It's something I challenge you to demonstrate thusly:

I then ask, if there was human reproduction pre-"original sin" then the world would very quickly have been wholly overrun run with people. Here's an example of uncontrolled growth
Quote:
The mathematics of uncontrolled growth are frightening. A single cell of the bacterium E. coli would, under ideal circumstances, divide every twenty minutes. That is not particularly disturbing until you think about it, but the fact is that bacteria multiply geometrically: one becomes two, two become four, four become eight, and so on. In this way it can be shown that in a single day, one cell of E. coli could produce a super-colony equal in size and weight to the entire planet Earth.

http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/zoo/andromed.html

Hi Chum. Smile I'm going to bed. I'll get back to you on this tomorrow. :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 12:06 am
neologist wrote:
Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever. That should be real easy to understand.
Well then if as you say "before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever" then prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals. Therefore the tree of life was not needed for immorality. Further (and again) how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death as he was innocent? (and no I do not see how you have satisfactorily addressed this directly and on point).
neologist wrote:
Adam and Eve both knew what death was because Adam had been around long enough to name the animals and observe that animals did, in fact, die.
Where is your scriptural "proof" that "Adam and Eve both knew what death was"? It's meaningless that they observed "that animals did, in fact, die." Why? I might observe that a gasoline engine in fact runs, does that in any way infer I understand how a gasoline engine works and it's implications? Not even close! Neo where is the logic and/or congruency?
neologist wrote:
As for whether they would overfill the earth, I refer you to my response to CI, above.
And I refer you to your assertion that "they had the prospect of living forever" and my counter that "prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals."

Also when you say "it was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad" are you then saying that death does not fall under the category of knowledge of good and bad, if so I dispute this.
0 Replies