death prior to original sin

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:45 am
Chumly wrote:
Point of interest:

From my perspective in reference to the biblical mythos in question, whether you take a literalist or interpretive stance, it still needs to "hang together" (logically and/or congruently). . .
Exactly. Our disagreement must lie somewhere else.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:46 am
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Please state your position:
- human death prior to original sin
- no human death prior to original sin

We'll go from there once you choose!
If Adam and Eve were the first humans. then there certainly could not have been human death prior to their sin.

I am most interested in seeing where you will attempt to go with this.

It will just repeat. His point is why would they need the tree of life to give the eternal life if there was no death to stop life. A life without death is a life without end, therfore forever, therefor eternal....so why would they need a tree with eternal life if there was no death!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:47 am
EpiNirvana wrote:
Maybe the tree wasnt form Adam and Eve...Maybe it was for the angels? Couldnt it be possible that only god could be immortal and that he has his own set of boundrys /laws? Maybe he needed the tree for his angels to achieve an eternal life?
Then why did God tell them not to eat of it?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 09:49 am
He told the not to eat of the tree of good and evil...b/c it would be disobeying god, which would be a sin, and the penalty for sin is death.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
OH! I've been away from the thread so long, I forgot which tree you were referring to.

Since the tree of life has become such an important issue, I will do more research.

Edited to add:

I can find nothing to add to my original speculation that the tree of life would have been made available to Adam and Eve at some time in the course of their faithful avoidance of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.

See my post here: http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2189686#2189686
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 04:15 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Please state your position:
- human death prior to original sin
- no human death prior to original sin

We'll go from there once you choose!
If Adam and Eve were the first humans. then there certainly could not have been human death prior to their sin.

I am most interested in seeing where you will attempt to go with this.

It will just repeat. His point is why would they need the tree of life to give the eternal life if there was no death to stop life. A life without death is a life without end, therfore forever, therefor eternal....so why would they need a tree with eternal life if there was no death!
Right you are EpiNirvana! There is no need for a tree of life if there was no death before original sin.

Further, how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death as he was innocent? And nope Neo, you have not provided a rational explanation that man knew and understood death prior to original sin because as discussed: it's meaningless that Adam and Eve observed "that animals did, in fact, die." Why? I might observe that a gasoline engine in fact runs, does that in any way infer I understand how a gasoline engine works and it's implications? Not even close! Also when you say "it was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad" are you then saying that death does not fall under the category of knowledge of good and bad, if so I dispute this wholeheartedly! Understand therefore, that man could not know of death unless or until he had eaten of the tree of knowledge, because death is not morally neutral-exempt.
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever. That should be real easy to understand.
Well then if as you say "before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever" then prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals. Therefore the tree of life was not needed for immorality. Further (and again) how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death as he was innocent? (and no I do not see how you have satisfactorily addressed this directly and on point).
neologist wrote:
Adam and Eve both knew what death was because Adam had been around long enough to name the animals and observe that animals did, in fact, die.
Where is your scriptural "proof" that "Adam and Eve both knew what death was"? It's meaningless that they observed "that animals did, in fact, die." Why? I might observe that a gasoline engine in fact runs, does that in any way infer I understand how a gasoline engine works and it's implications? Not even close! Neo where is the logic and/or congruency?
neologist wrote:
As for whether they would overfill the earth, I refer you to my response to CI, above.
And I refer you to your assertion that "they had the prospect of living forever" and my counter that "prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals."

Also when you say "it was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad" are you then saying that death does not fall under the category of knowledge of good and bad, if so I dispute this wholeheartedly.
Then there is also my final point, if there was no death prior to original sin, then we potently have the issue of uncontrolled growth. Admittedly however, the issue of uncontrolled growth is the least of the problems I have addressed as per this Christian myth, at least or until you Neo respond with logical and/or congruently explanation to the above and below:

If there was human reproduction pre-"original sin" then the world would very quickly have been wholly overrun run with people. Here's an example of uncontrolled growth
Quote:
The mathematics of uncontrolled growth are frightening. A single cell of the bacterium E. coli would, under ideal circumstances, divide every twenty minutes. That is not particularly disturbing until you think about it, but the fact is that bacteria multiply geometrically: one becomes two, two become four, four become eight, and so on. In this way it can be shown that in a single day, one cell of E. coli could produce a super-colony equal in size and weight to the entire planet Earth. http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/zoo/andromed.html
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 06:30 pm
Somewhere in here is a galactic non sequitur.
Chumly wrote:

Right you are EpiNirvana! There is no need for a tree of life if there was no death before original sin.
Unless the tree represented a symbolic reward for faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.
Chumly wrote:
Further, how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death as he was innocent?
It was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, a moral distinction, not a biological one.
Chumly wrote:
And nope Neo, you have not provided a rational explanation that man knew and understood death prior to original sin because as discussed: it's meaningless that Adam and Eve observed "that animals did, in fact, die." Why? I might observe that a gasoline engine in fact runs, does that in any way infer I understand how a gasoline engine works and it's implications?
Are you saying that because you don't understand how a gasoline engine runs you would not understand that it might sometimes need gas?
Chumly wrote:
Not even close! Also when you say "it was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad" are you then saying that death does not fall under the category of knowledge of good and bad, if so I dispute this wholeheartedly!
Again, the knowledge of moral good and bad is unrelated to the concept of biological death.
Chumly wrote:
Understand therefore, that man could not know of death unless or until he had eaten of the tree of knowledge, because death is not morally neutral-exempt.
Interesting choice of words. What are you talking about?
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever. That should be real easy to understand.
Well then if as you say "before Adam and Eve sinned they had the prospect of living forever" then prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals. Therefore the tree of life was not needed for immorality. (sic) Further (and again) how could man have been threatened by death as punishment if he had not yet eaten from the tree of knowledge and thus could not know of death as he was innocent?
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/band.gif
Chumly wrote:
(and no I do not see how you have satisfactorily addressed this directly and on point. . .Where is your scriptural "proof" that "Adam and Eve both knew what death was"? It's meaningless that they observed "that animals did, in fact, die." Why? I might observe that a gasoline engine in fact runs, does that in any way infer I understand how a gasoline engine works and it's implications? Not even close! Neo where is the logic and/or congruency?
How did this get in twice?
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
As for whether they would overfill the earth, I refer you to my response to CI, above.
And I refer you to your assertion that "they had the prospect of living forever" and my counter that "prior to sin by default they were de facto immortals."
Go back to the post and read it.
Chumly wrote:
Also when you say "it was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad" are you then saying that death does not fall under the category of knowledge of good and bad, if so I dispute this wholeheartedly.
See above
Chumly wrote:
Then there is also my final point, if there was no death prior to original sin, then we potently have the issue of uncontrolled growth. Admittedly however, the issue of uncontrolled growth is the least of the problems I have addressed as per this Christian myth, at least or until you Neo respond with logical and/or congruently explanation to the above and below:

If there was human reproduction pre-"original sin" then the world would very quickly have been wholly overrun run with people. Here's an example of uncontrolled growth
Quote:
The mathematics of uncontrolled growth are frightening. A single cell of the bacterium E. coli would, under ideal circumstances, divide every twenty minutes. That is not particularly disturbing until you think about it, but the fact is that bacteria multiply geometrically: one becomes two, two become four, four become eight, and so on. In this way it can be shown that in a single day, one cell of E. coli could produce a super-colony equal in size and weight to the entire planet Earth. http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursedoc/math100/notes/zoo/andromed.html
What you are saying is that it must have been quite obvious to Adam and Eve that such a thing as death existed.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
neologist wrote:
Somewhere in here is a galactic non sequitur.

If so, there is no point in traveling light (pun).
neologist wrote:
Unless the tree represented a symbolic reward for faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.
Any number of speculative ruminations might be suggested, but this still does not change the underlying "biblical facts", that being the tree of life is not only ill defined, but as discussed, there is no need for a tree of life, if there was no death before original sin. Now if you are going to claim speculative ruminations for the tree of life have merit without biblical scriptural substantiation, then by that same token you must apply that premise to any and all biblical scriptural substantiations meeting this rather modest level of presumption. Are you prepared do this? I kind'a doubt it, and I suggest your ruminations as per the tree of life are ones of convenience. You're welcome to prove me wrong.

But for the hell of it (pun), let's analyze your ruminations a wee bit further:

Why would there need to be this symbolic reward for "faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge" when they were already (as we have agreed) de facto immortals? You can't reward someone with immortally, if they are already are de facto immortals. It makes no sense!

Further, given that if/when they did die (due to being expelled from the garden after eating of the forbidden fruit blah blah blah) Adam and Eve would (I presume) go to heaven, so why would a reward of eternal life (symbolic as you argue) be necessitated, when heaven (I presume) is the ultimate idealization? It makes no sense!

Further, it's understood that one of the common definitions of heaven is paradise, thus to what avail would a symbolic reward for "faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge" be necessitated, when the garden of Eden and heaven are for all intents and purposes (in this specific immortal context) the same. It make no sense!
neologist wrote:
It was the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, a moral distinction, not a biological one.
Yup you have made this point earlier. And (I am pretty sure) I mentioned the clarification you present in no way affects my positions. Yes, I am aware that the tree of knowledge was one of knowledge of morality.
neologist wrote:
Are you saying that because you don't understand how a gasoline engine runs you would not understand that it might sometimes need gas?
Without question, if you do not understand how a gasoline engine runs, you may well not know it needs gas. What's your point please? Are you trying to show that Adam and Eve (pre-original sin) knew and understood death in all it's physical and moral implications? If so, as of yet, you have not made any successful arguments to that effect by simply saying Adam and Eve observed "that animals did, in fact, die." Remember man could not know of death, unless or until he had eaten of the tree of knowledge, because death is not morally neutral-exempt.
neologist wrote:
Interesting choice of words. What are you talking about?
Let's do it again then! You claim: Adam and Eve observed "that animals did, in fact, die." therefore they knew what death was and all it's implications. I say No Way José, simply because Adam and Eve observed "that animals did, in fact, die' in no way shows they understood death, either physically or most importantly in this case morally (remember the tree of knowledge?). I say in fact, Adam and Eve could not know what death was (in all it's implications as discussed) because they had not eaten of the tree of knowledge. The tree of knowledge would provide the info on the moral implications of death, without which Adam and Eve could not understand death because (as discussed) death is not morally neutral-exempt.
neologist wrote:
What you are saying is that it must have been quite obvious to Adam and Eve that such a thing as death existed.
Nope, I am not making such a claim. Why would you come to that conclusion I ask? Remember however, as per the gasoline engine analogy, that the existence of a gasoline engine in no way infers knowledge either in the physical sense or the moral sense (should one apply) of a gasoline engine. Bringing the gasoline engine analogy back to the knowledge of the moral implications of death, it's clear Adam and Eve did not understand death prior to original sin.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 09:26 am
You're a hoot, Chumly
Chumly wrote:
. . .Further, given that if/when they did die (due to being expelled from the garden after eating of the forbidden fruit blah blah blah) Adam and Eve would (I presume) go to heaven, so why would a reward of eternal life (symbolic as you argue) be necessitated, when heaven (I presume) is the ultimate idealization? It makes no sense!

Further, it's understood that one of the common definitions of heaven is paradise, thus to what avail would a symbolic reward for "faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge" be necessitated, when the garden of Eden and heaven are for all intents and purposes (in this specific immortal context) the same. It make no sense!. . .
The Hebrew words we read as Garden of Eden literally mean 'paradise of pleasure', so Adam and Eve were already in paradise.

Where did the idea of heaven come in? Not from the passages under discussion. The choice before Adam and Eve was between continued life in the paradise of pleasure or death. If they had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have had war and crime and sickness and death.

Whether by now they or any of us would have been considered worthy of tasting the tree of life cannot be determined. Your argument that the tree of life makes no sense is valid only in its application to Chumly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 10:24 am
neologist wrote:
The Hebrew words we read as Garden of Eden literally mean 'paradise of pleasure', so Adam and Eve were already in paradise.

That's fine except it begs the question as to what sort of punishment would death be, from eating of the tree, if the net result of death in (Adam and Eve's case) was to go to heaven which, is also regarded as a paradise. It makes no sense; heaven as punishment?
neologist wrote:
Where did the idea of heaven come in? Not from the passages under discussion. The choice before Adam and Eve was between continued life in the paradise of pleasure or death. If they had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have had war and crime and sickness and death.Whether by now they or any of us would have been considered worthy of tasting the tree of life cannot be determined. Your argument that the tree of life makes no sense is valid only in its application to Chumly.
The idea of heaven came in from your ruminations in justifying the purpose of the tree of life. You suggest the tree represented a "symbolic reward for faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge of good and bad". There is a begged question here which would quite naturally include the implications of Adam and Eve's death. One of the implications of Adam and Eve's death is going to heaven and the immorality that implies.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 10:43 am
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:

That's fine except it begs the question as to what sort of punishment would death be, from eating of the tree, if the net result of death in (Adam and Eve's case) was to go to heaven which, is also regarded as a paradise. It makes no sense; heaven as punishment?
neologist wrote:
Where did the idea of heaven come in? Not from the passages under discussion. The choice before Adam and Eve was between continued life in the paradise of pleasure or death. If they had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have had war and crime and sickness and death. Whether by now they or any of us would have been considered worthy of tasting the tree of life cannot be determined. Your argument that the tree of life makes no sense is valid only in its application to Chumly.
The idea of heaven came in from your ruminations in justifying the purpose of the tree of life. You suggest the tree represented a "symbolic reward for faithfully avoiding the tree of the knowledge of good and bad". There is a begged question here which would quite naturally include the implications of Adam and Eve's death. One of the implications of Adam and Eve's death is going to heaven and the immorality that implies.
Once again I ask: Where did you get the idea that one goes to heaven after death? Show me your research.

Hint: You won't find it in the Bible.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 05:02 pm
ive searched the bible about heaven, and first its just a word for the skys and the stars.....but just somewhere along the line its just established that it is a real place and you go there if your good. For no reason at all nor can you pin point it, but somewhere, it just takes off. And now its a "widely believed fact". My theory is that ppl started wondering what happens after you die, and you want to have something good for the good, so....whats good-er than god? so you spend eternity with god, is what thius came up with.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
neologist wrote:
Where did the idea of heaven come in? Not from the passages under discussion. The choice before Adam and Eve was between continued life in the paradise of pleasure or death. If they had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have had war and crime and sickness and death. Whether by now they or any of us would have been considered worthy of tasting the tree of life cannot be determined. Your argument that the tree of life makes no sense is valid only in its application to Chumly.
Once again I ask: Where did you get the idea that one goes to heaven after death? Show me your research.

Hint: You won't find it in the Bible.
OK, given that so many Christians believe in an afterlife in which they go to heaven (if they are good or some such idealization), I for one cannot defend such beliefs scripturally or in any other fashion; whether you assert such beliefs are part and parcel of Christianity or not. In point of fact, I can only say (with reasonable certainty) that it's a very popular belief, which I exhume you do not share for reasons as of yet un-announced.

Perhaps you can tell me where this very popular belief is sourced from, why you feel it is not part of Christianity, and why therefore so many "good" Christians are wrong for believing "one goes to heaven after death" (if they are good or some such idealization)?

Anywho, irrelative of whether this concept of heaven is or is not part of Christianity, my reference to heaven amounts to a very, very small part of one comment as per your rumination about the possible symbolism of the tree of life and thus in no way affects the main thrust of my sturdy arguments.

How about responding more to my text directly and on point? Not that I mind discussing the popular belief of heaven and the apparent fact that you do not share this idealization.

I am in fact still waiting to see if you can whittle down my sturdy arguments.....for entertainment and educational value if nothing else Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 06:56 pm
Actually, Chumly, I can't give you a definitive answer as to why the tree of life is mentioned.

I hate to cut and paste; but can't say it any better.

"The tree evidently had no intrinsic life-giving qualities in its fruit, but it represented God's guarantee of [everlasting life] to the one whom God would allow to eat of its fruit. Since the tree was put there by God for some purpose, undoubtedly Adam would have been permitted to eat this fruit after proving faithful to a point that God considered satisfactory and sufficient. " - Insight on the Scriptures Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, New York, 1988, Vol. 2, p. 247.

Adam and Eve could have lived live forever except for having to pass a test. Once the test had been satisfactorily passed, that stipulation would have been removed.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 07:38 pm
but why would god give a test? You can have free will without a temptation.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 08:10 pm
Thanks Neo, but alas that text does not illustrate a net intent, and understandably I take exception to words like "undoubtedly". In sum, I find this stuff very interesting (as well as your views) given that like it or no, it is part and parcel of our modern western world.

Thanks EpiNirvana,
I'm with you in that I find little logic and/or congruency in a fair bunch of this particular Christian myth, without which it does not hold together even in a fairy tale sense (for want of a better term). This aside from the definitive fact that I am a skeptical agnostic (for want of a better term as actually I am harder than simply a skeptical agnostic).

To all,
Thanks for the interesting dialogue!
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 08:15 pm
No, thank you Chumly for such a great topic. I learned alot.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 09:51 pm
Well, chumly, I must say you are an expert in creative obfuscation.

My offer for coffee still stands. Starbucks at 220th and Highway 99 in Edmonds, WA.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 12:04 am
Might well do that!
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2006 09:20 am
I would find that to be a most interesting cup-o-joe.
Count me in.
0 Replies