Art Quotes

JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:08 am
Thanks, Miklos. Could we not also say that we re-arrrange? And, of course, our arrangements are creative acts. But Yourcenar is right to say that all the materials we use for creative (re)arrangement pre-exist us. We certainly could not do much had we not been born into a society with a history and culture.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:12 am
"Artistic growth is, more than it is anything else,
a refining of the sense of truthfulness. The stupid
believe that to be truthful is easy; only the artist,
the great artist, knows how difficult it is."

Willa Sibert Cather 1876-1947
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 05:10 pm
A critique of purely conceptual art. In the April 15, 2002 edition of the New Yorker, Richard Benson, (the then Dean of Yale's School of Art) said that "There's a lot of conceptual art around today because it's easy. It's much easier to think about something than to make something. But the absolute fundamental core of art is that you can't know ahead of time what the thing you're making is going to become. To me, you can't have the thing in your mind become clear without giving birth to a physical thing."
This is my core realization: I never know what my work will be like until it is finished, i.e., until it is realized concretely. Most of the ideas I start out with end up surpassed by the reality of the final "product."
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:25 am
bookmark
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:10 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
The first virtue of a painting is to be a feast for the eyes.----Delacroix

ossobuco wrote:
I love the Delacroix quote, Joanne, that's my point of view. Of course, one person's eye feast is another's piece of grit in the eye...

Wonderful reparte there, you two! Very Happy It brings up the topic of whether or not there are timeless standards of excellence. Has there already been such a thread? (There's such an ocean of threads here, how DOES one wade thru them all to make sure one doesn't rehash something that's already been covered?)

kayla wrote:
"The painting is not on a surface, but on a plane which is imagined. It moves in a mind. It is not there physically at all. It is an illusion, a piece of magic." --Philip Guston

Ha, a man after my own heart!

JoanneDorel wrote:
The aim off art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. Aristotle

That one, too! It's reminiscent of "Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas" (Pascal) and also Exupery's quote "L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

And now, I'll add to the "stash" here (in hopes that I'm not repeating anybody else's post----I've not read thru all of them):

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures." (Don't know the author.)

"L'Art supreme Seule a l'eternite
Et le buste Survit la cite." (Theophile Gautier)

"Ads are the cave art of the twentieth century." (M. McCluhan)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:28 pm
A hearty welcome to a2k, xprmntr2.

I once wanted to go back and put at least certain threads into categories for some kind of search usefulness, but never got around to it.

There is a search button at the top of the page and that can help, to some extent, sometimes, when the sun is to the yardarm.
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:46 pm
ossobuco wrote:
A hearty welcome to a2k, xprmntr2.

Thankee kindly, Ma'am. (Is "ossobuco" Italian for bone something?)

ossobuco wrote:
There is a search button at the top of the page and that can help, to some extent, sometimes, when the sun is to the yardarm.

Yes, I've noticed; it's not terribly useful for individual words, just for searching out a specific person's posts...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:55 pm
That's true. It relates to a cross cut of bon, or a shank, with delicous cooked marrow.. a northern italian dish involving braising.
However, while I've had the dish a few times, I picked the name because I liked the sounds of the syllables.
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:17 pm
ossobuco wrote:
That's true. It relates to a cross cut of bon, or a shank, with delicous cooked marrow.. a northern italian dish involving braising.
However, while I've had the dish a few times, I picked the name because I liked the sounds of the syllables.

Makes my mouth water (it's high time for dinner <g>). And yes, the syllables are indeed pleasing...sooothing... Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:20 am
A woman of good and savoury bones.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:57 am
Noddy24 wrote:
A woman of good and savoury bones.

Very Happy and nourishment for the soul
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:56 pm
Brava, Ossobuco! In a lot of the best poetry the sound itself is about 90% of the meaning. I think right away of Seamus Heaney. You are in excellent company!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:25 pm
The sounds of words are why I don't even try to speed read...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:33 pm
Osso, yes, especially for literature and poetry. I do try to read the newspaper as fast as I can, however. I like to HEAR poetry read by a sonorous and understanding reader. One of my major musical experiences was a recording of Dylan Thomas reading his own work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
I take it back, I do speed over newspaper pieces from time to time...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
I found an art quote yesterday I wanted to post, but now I've gone and forgotten it. Back with it later, one hopes.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:38 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Osso, yes, especially for literature and poetry. I do try to read the newspaper as fast as I can, however. I like to HEAR poetry read by a sonorous and understanding reader. One of my major musical experiences was a recording of Dylan Thomas reading his own work.

talking of sonorous - I've got Richard Burton reading Under Milk Wood - pure magic!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:47 pm
Diebenkorn on de Kooning: "The way he used that line--that was really IT for me!...I'm against the cult of originality, though I don't, of course, like copycats. But, afterall, here's this tremendous experience, and what's the young painter [or the older one?] supposed to do with it--stick it under the rug?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 04:42 pm
Good one.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:24 pm
Diebenkorn, one of my favorite artists, was such an unpretentious individual. His creativity and originality were so genuine, reflections of himself rather than attempts to fit into history by means of some fabricated contribution to the historical 'progress' of art.
0 Replies