Art Quotes

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:24 am
Thank you for all these, piff.

I don't agree with the picture about the vacation one - but like the rest. I have not had that many vacations in my life and treasure the memories of most of them. The scenes I have from them, in photo and sometimes in my own paintings, are important to me beyond description here. Well, now. Maybe tomorrow I can up with a description of how important. My vacation memories are quotidianal and iconic at the same time. If others feel that way, maybe a painting by someone else that referenced the place would be a good thing.

I know local stuff is often hackneyed. But not always.

On the quotes, I hope over the weekend to add some from a book I am reading.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 05:40 am
Abstract literally means to draw from or separate. In this sense every artist is abstractÂ… a realistic or non-objective approach makes no difference. The result is what counts. (Richard Diebenkorn)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 07:24 am
"I don't believe in art, I believe in artists."
- Marcel Duchamp

(I do not know this is a good quote or not, but think it depicts his attitude well.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 03:29 pm
"The artist never entirely knows. We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark." -Agnes de Mille
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
"...the only good artist ; is a dead artist..."
anonymous art dealer/ Chelsea
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 11:47 pm
Oh dear, what's up colorific you having a rought time with a gallery owner?
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 07:46 pm
Until I am armored to the hilt with a sympathetic art lawyer, i suspect that shall be the case, But I learn from experience anyway.
A quote from Corot (1850;pre-impressionist times):
" The first two things to study are form and values. For me, these are the bases of what is serious in art. Color and finish put charm into one's work.
...Beauty in art is truth bathed in in an impression recieved from nature.
...Reality is one part of art; feeling completes it.."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:18 pm
"Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters, united with it she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels."
Francisco Goya
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 10:27 pm
art
To paraphrase Delacroix, the ESSENTIAL virtue of a painting is to be a feast for the eyes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:36 am
You can quote me on this Cool : Do not reject a painting for its defects; do so for its lack of virtues.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:51 am
I like that one.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:09 pm
minimalism
"I hear that all miminalists hate the label, Minimalism. I wonder: is that because it contains too many letters?"
JLNobody
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:00 pm
Are you quoting yourself? Wonderful!

It also reminds me of something I can quite think of, back later.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:46 pm
art
Yeah, Osso. It's mine. And I must admit it's cleverness is above my personal norm.
If I were referring to MUSICAL mininalists I would have said, of course, "too many sounds."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:07 pm
Your quote is reminding me of something I read in a New Yorker article about the new DIA museum....which I haven't looked up yet to find the quote.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:52 pm
In art, the blank space is supposed to be as good as what's filled in. c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:05 pm
art
I failed to grasp your point, C.I., but I agree that "negative spaces" are as important--aesthetically--as the positive ones. In abstract art, the distinction between postive and negative shapes virtually disappears. Everything is positive (or negative, perhaps, if you're a buddhist Very Happy ).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:31 pm
In art as in life...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:46 pm
art
Osso, :wink:
I'll bet the old jeans I'm wearing are older than the old jeans you're wearing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:16 pm
Sounds like a challenge. Wink c.i.
When I say "blank space," I'm talking about all forms of art including music. c.i.
0 Replies