Art Quotes

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:51 pm
art
OH YES, C.I. by all means. In music the time value of the silences is as important as the pitch, value and timbre of the sound of the notes. It's JUST like in abstract art. The silence (negative space) and the sound (positive spaces) TOGETHER make up the aesthetic product.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
...and in literature, perhaps the 'negative space' is found in 'reading between the lines'.....The mistress of that art form (imho)was Isak Dineson who wrote 'Out of Africa'....I forget the exact literary term but it was discussed in "Silence will Speak" a biography of isak/karen blixon written by E. Treblinski.......

'Create like a god, rule like a king, and work like a slave."
Brancusi
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 04:56 pm
I remember the author of "Out of Africa" as Karen Blixen. Been to her coffeee plantation in Nairobi. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:36 pm
Isak Dinesen and Karen Blixen are the same person. I think it was Isak writing as Karen...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:31 pm
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 11:08 pm
art
Thanks, Osso. Big show, big names, very big direction by car to the museum. Kimmel's review of this minimalist show should have contained fewer words. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:06 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:27 pm
osso, You're right, ofcoarse. Isak just didn't ring a bell in my grey matter with all the junk that's stored up there. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 03:03 pm
If a picture isn't worth a thousand words, it isn't worth anything. (Author forgotten)

Anything that works -Richard Crumb
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:13 pm
I quickly read a book called Tulip Fever, which had lots of quotes, and passed it on to friends. I kept looking at it for sentences to replace my own tired signature, but none were just right. But, there we go, a melodrama about Vermeer....with good quotes.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:44 am
"I know of two painters in the world," said a newly introduced feminine enthusiast to
Whistler, "yourself and Velasquez." Why," answered Whistler in dulcet tones, "why
drag in Velasquez?"
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:08 pm
"Everything is miraculous. It is a miracle that one does not melt in one's bath.." - Pablo Picasso
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:03 am
those are both great quotes. The Whistler and Velasquez rings bells, re the NY show I saw...well should Whistler deny Velasquez, his progenitor.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:17 pm
art
Good point, Osso, but it's possible that Whistler was just enjoying being clever.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:37 am
Let's see... Picasso said something approximate to:

"As children we are all artists. The problem lies in how to keep it in us until we achieve adulthood."

Close enogh, meanings there anyway.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:54 pm
truth
NNY, I love your "Nihilism or Taoism? Depends on my mood." There is a thread (actually two) on the horrors of nihilism. I think it IS a matter of perspective, as you suggest. In Taoism the Tao cannot be discussed, cannot be understood, it is conceptually empty, but it is profoundly positive. Nietzsche, I think, thought of a positive nihilism as a curative process. A cleansing of the mind (rejection of ideologies and moralities) so that one can get in touch with realities not corraled and generated by concepts. There is nothing negative or disparing about this nihilism. Indeed, Nietzsche considers the Judaeo-Christian corset of Western culture with its denial of physcial life, instinct, and passion a form of negative nihilism.
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:08 pm
It is through Art, and through Art only,
that we can realize our perfection;
through Art and Art only that we can
shield ourselves from the sordid perils of actual existence.
- Oscar Wilde (1856-1900)
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:35 pm
JL: Nihilism has become quite negative hasn't it? Alot has to do with strict definitions of it. People read it, then say, "Whoa! Depressing!" If Taoism didn't have a top to the pendulum it might be held the same way. Anyway, I though it was neat, so similar and yet the proverbial Yin and Yang. Thanks for liking it, I figured it would just be overlooked.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:27 pm
quotes
Here's a good one from Francisco Goya:
Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters, united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels."
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 11:33 pm
"Those who fall in love with practice without
science are like pilots who board a ship without
rudder or compass, who are never certain of
where they are going. Practice should always
be built on sound theory......."

Leonardo Da Vinci from his Treatise on Painting
0 Replies