Omega-3 Fatty Acid mg per day.

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:01 pm
Very Happy Hi: Fred here NJ USA. I am in good health. I did have a heart attack with a Quadruple Bypass May of 1990. No episodes since. I see my cardiologist regulary. My General Phy. who is a D.O. wants me to take 3500mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acid a day. I take a softgel 1000 mg Fish oil with 300mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acid. To obtain 3500mg I would have to take 12 softgels a day. I wonder if this mite be a lot of softgels a day. Just looking for a second opinion. Question Thanks. [email protected]
Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 593 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:21 pm
You might consider switching to flax oil gel caps (6 gel caps = ~3500 mg Omega 3) UNLESS you are on any kind of anticoagulant therapy as a result of your bypass surgery. This would include aspirin, baby aspirin, coumadin, warfarin, or any other over-the-counter or prescribed anticoagulant. Flax oil has the same blood thinning properties as aspirin so you should not combine it with other anticoagulants.

I read one study that recommended using flax oil in the spring and summer and fish oil in the fall and winter to vary the sources of the ALAs. If you're taking fish oil under the advice of your dr, I would suggest discussing any change with him/her before switching.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:04 pm
You should ask your cardiologist how much you should take.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
firefly wrote:
You should ask your cardiologist how much you should take.

Best to eat foods like salmon, that are rich in this metabolite.
0 Replies