Being a Christian and Drinking

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:22 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Matthew 9:17 ~ Neither do men put new wine into old wineskins: else the skins break, and the wine runneth out, and the wineskins perish: but they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

Does that have anything to do with fermentation?

Like I said, this thread's a hoot!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:27 pm
I don't think this refers to fermentation. I think it more refers to the fact that putting something new into something old or something old into something new is not prudent. Putting new wine into an old wineskin will lose the wine if the wineskin breaks. I think there are some metaphoric clues when you read the whole chapter.

Have said this, it does follow that new wine would ferment in the old wineskins and probably break the skins before the wine is at it's peak.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:56 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
Matthew 9:17 ~ Neither do men put new wine into old wineskins: else the skins break, and the wine runneth out, and the wineskins perish: but they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

Does that have anything to do with fermentation?

Like I said, this thread's a hoot!

Let me explain a bit more of what I meant, but glad my obvious ignorance made you have a laugh.

I was wondering if the fact that the wine ferments as it gets older did it cause the wineskins to break or something.

Not everyone is obviously intelligent as you are.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:57 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I don't think this refers to fermentation. I think it more refers to the fact that putting something new into something old or something old into something new is not prudent. Putting new wine into an old wineskin will lose the wine if the wineskin breaks. I think there are some metaphoric clues when you read the whole chapter.

Have said this, it does follow that new wine would ferment in the old wineskins and probably break the skins before the wine is at it's peak.

Thank you, Intrepid. That is what I was referring to.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:11 pm
Arella Mae, my point was that the parable of new containers for new wine has nothing whatever to do with the alcoholic content (or lack thereof) of the liquid being poured into the containers.

(In the interests of full disclosure, I do not drink alcoholic beverages any more. But that has absolutely nothing to do with religious convictions; for me, it is a health issue. I find it ludicrous that any so-called Christian would try to make a serious argument against the consumption of harmless amounts of alcohol on religious grounds. Now, for a Muslim it's a different story altogether.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:24 pm
Merry Andrew,

My question had nothing to do with whether it had alcoholic content or not. I was looking for verses about wine and I came across that and just wondered if the fermenting process had anything to do with the wineskins bursting.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 08:52 pm
Let's talk it over down the pub!

All this sobriety and earnestness is making my head ache.

G'day MA!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 03:14 am
G'day, Margo. Where in hell you been hiding yourself?
0 Replies

ktflyer

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 02:26 pm
[quote="Merry Andrew"

(In the interests of full disclosure, I do not drink alcoholic beverages any more. But that has absolutely nothing to do with religious convictions; for me, it is a health issue. I find it ludicrous that any so-called Christian would try to make a serious argument against the consumption of harmless amounts of alcohol on religious grounds. Now, for a Muslim it's a different story altogether.)[/quote]

I posted this thread seeking mostly other CHRISTIANS opinions (if any of you haven't got that by now than your all oblivious) on being a CHRISTIAN and drinking. Most of my friends and family are very southern baptist and believe that its wrong to drink. I on the other hand do not. I believe as long as you drink in moderation and don't get drunk than its fine..... Thats just my personal opinion and what I believe
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 02:35 pm
But I agree with you completely, ktflyer. I, too, am a Christian, a Lutheran. Avoidance of alcohol has never been an issue in my family nor do I believe that it should be for any Christian or Jew. Again, Muslims are another matter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 02:53 pm
ktflyer wrote:
Most of my friends and family are very southern baptist and believe that its wrong to drink.

Not just Southern Baptists. All the Baptists I've known personally have been against any drinking of alcohol. Not that I know a lot of Baptists, and the ones I've met likely don't represent all Baptists, but it's as good as any other anecdotal evidence.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 03:12 pm
How do they justify that when Jesus himself turned water into an excellent '97 Port?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 05:32 pm
since most of the monks living in european monastries have been producing beer , wine and the finest liqueurs for centuries , i'd think that it must be o.k. for a christian to consume alcoholic beverages .
after all , the monks surely must have studied the bible carefully during those centuries also , and they apparently did not find anything to forbid either the production or consumption of alcohol .
this should give all christians great peace of mind !
hbg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 05:40 pm
Thank you hb

I feel I can retire to my pit with a profound sense of relief that I am in tune with the theologians and my not tossing and turning all night with guilt and shame has been the correct thing to do all these years.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
http://www.germanwine.de/archiv/apr00/prowein4.jpg

a/t to a german wine website , nuns are better at tasting and testing the finest wines than the monks .
as a matter of interest , the nun is holding a copy of the the german wine magazine "wine markt" (wine market).

having spent some time in a schoolhome in bavaria/germany that was run by some wonderful nuns that looked well after a bunch of rumbunctious teenagers from hamburg , i remember well that every sunday morning after mass , the abbess would march off to the local pub where she would meet with local farmers and businesspeople while enjoying "a cool one" .
hbg

this is where i 'mis-spent' about six months of my life - didn't live in the church Very Happy , but in building at back of it .
http://www.spidertrip.de/Bilder/Bild_147.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 06:04 pm
Quite a well designed building it seems to me.

It made me smirk anyway.
0 Replies