Being a Christian and Drinking

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:26 am
Dizzy Delicious wrote:
Doesn't Islam prohibit the use of alcohol?

Perhaps. But, Islam is not Christian and that is what the question was asking.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:27 am
Intrepid- Nahhh.............I am not offended. You happened to be right.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:29 am
I'd bet Jesus got a little tipsy a time or two...heat and alcohol just don't mix.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:07 am
Re: Being a Christian and Drinking
ktflyer wrote:
I am a Christian and I drink... I don't get drunk. I drink sometimes with my meals because I like the taste... I was talking with some friends and they said you can't drink and be a Christian, that its wrong. I don't think it is. I've been studding the Bible for the past two days and I can't find anything that says its wrong. My friends have no proof to back up what they say. In the Bible it states nowhere that it is right nor wrong to drink. I'd love to hear what others think!

Rom 14:13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died.

16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil.

17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,

18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:37 am
I think it's cool to drink, smoke, masturbate, have sex and enjoy life. But, what do I know? I'm a Buddhist.
0 Replies

NWIslander

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:45 am
Quote:
Doesn't Islam prohibit the use of alcohol?

Um, yeah.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:48 am
NickFun wrote:
I think it's cool to drink, smoke, masturbate, have sex and enjoy life. But, what do I know? I'm a Buddhist.

Apparently, not a practicing Buddhist.

The Buddha indicates that drinking alcohol at all is not a wholesome activity. This is because it clouds and distorts the mind and so therefore can lead us into acting in inappropriate ways. For Buddhism, the issue is not so much about how much is drunk but drinking at all.

Promiscuity is not something that fits well with Buddhist teachings as it smacks of personal gratification.For Buddhism, sex is something that should from part of a caring and loving partnership.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 09:54 am
Even beer? Damn. Glad I'm not a Muslim!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:03 am
Lash wrote:
As long as you drink but don't get drunk, you will only go to the third ring of hell--which is where you are routinely raped by so-so looking gargoyles.

If you drink and DO get drunk--level of drunkeness to be decided by Rev Hal Philbus of NJ--you will die ten years earlier than you would have originally, in a fire of some description, and you'll be directly transported to the fifth ring of hell, where you'll get poked by those three pronged pitchforks for all eternity.

Since Jesus made wine from water, they are better Christians than Jesus anyway. They should write their own Bibles immediately.

OK - Now I can see you're a Baptist.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:21 am
Intrepid wrote:
NickFun wrote:

Apparently, not a practicing Buddhist.

The Buddha indicates that drinking alcohol at all is not a wholesome activity. This is because it clouds and distorts the mind and so therefore can lead us into acting in inappropriate ways. For Buddhism, the issue is not so much about how much is drunk but drinking at all.

Promiscuity is not something that fits well with Buddhist teachings as it smacks of personal gratification.For Buddhism, sex is something that should from part of a caring and loving partnership.

There is more than one Buddhist school. I am a Nichiren Buddhist. Buddhism requires that we take personal responsibility for our lives. Granted, excess alcohol and promiscuous sex are not "good" things but it is still a personal choice. True Buddhism has no commandments.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:13 am
Does that mean everything's relative in true Buddhism?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:09 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix,
This thread was "Being a Christian and Drinking". Therefore, I would think that the poster wanted Christian answers. However stupid you may think this is, most of us stuck with the premise of the thread.

I can't believe you are riding her for giving her opinion!

Poster comes on and asks specifically 'what people think?'. People quote scripture or give their personal opinions. Phoenix expresses an honest opinion about people who look outside of themselves for answers. She offers an alternative approach. Christian (you, Intrepid), gives her **** and thinks it is his place to enforce/police the thread.

That is bullshit! That isn't right. You're using the same old techniques of trying to dictate how others should behave.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:08 am
snood wrote:
Does that mean everything's relative in true Buddhism?

Buddhism deals with the absolute law of Cause and Effect. You may have heard of Karma. We are responsible for our lives and our destinies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:12 am
I appreciated you sticking up for Phoenix, flushd.
0 Replies

ktflyer

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:31 am
flushd
flushd

I did post this thread mostly asking the opinion of other christians (f.y.i. its posted under Religion and the title is " Being a Christian and drinking") because I knew that they would better understand where I was coming from. I welcome any and everyone's opinion. But, most non believers don't always understand the way christians live, believe, think, ect... I don't go around telling others the way their living their lives is wrong. I respect others and I think that everyone in entitled to their own opinion.

I don't think that Intrepid meant in a bad way and I think that Phoenix could see where he was coming from and that she was not offended by what he said. Go back and read what you wrote flushd. Your telling Intrepid not to do exactly what YOU yourself are doing!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 03:25 pm
The first post did not make that premise clear.

The threadstarter, although he/she clarifies now, said he/she was seeking the opinions of "others".
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 05:15 pm
ktflyer, I'm just giving Intrepid a heads-up on how 'policing' is not appreciated. Intrepid is a good guy and I think he recognizes that I respect his opinions.

I just don't like seeing attempts to 'quiet' people who aren't following the party line. I had to say something. There is a tendency here in S&R threads for folks to want to lead topics in a certain direction. This is an OPEN forum. No one owns any one thread.

Phoenix and Intrepid are both long standing, respected members here.
I've been around long enough that I know I can speak my mind. Smile

It's all good. Not trying to derail the thread, ktflyer, and it's nice to meet you btw.

Thanks, Lash. Razz
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 08:44 pm
No matter what anybody else says......Youz guyz r alll rite. (*hiccup*) Embarrassed

Razz

just being stupid sorry.

My momma always said ya gotta go with yer strengths! lol Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:31 pm
flushd wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix,
This thread was "Being a Christian and Drinking". Therefore, I would think that the poster wanted Christian answers. However stupid you may think this is, most of us stuck with the premise of the thread.

I can't believe you are riding her for giving her opinion!

Poster comes on and asks specifically 'what people think?'. People quote scripture or give their personal opinions. Phoenix expresses an honest opinion about people who look outside of themselves for answers. She offers an alternative approach. Christian (you, Intrepid), gives her **** and thinks it is his place to enforce/police the thread.

That is bullshit! That isn't right. You're using the same old techniques of trying to dictate how others should behave.

I think that you have misread what I wrote and my intention. Phoenix understood where I was coming from and we are certainly not at odds with each other and it is past.

I was not "riding" her for giving her opinion. I was expressing my opinion just as she had expressed hers. And, just as you are expressing yours now. It seems that you are doing exactly what you accuse (may be too strong a word) me of doing.

I gave nobody "****" and I will not be dictated to on how I should act on a thread. I am sorry, but again, you are doing what you accuse me of.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 09:33 pm
Lash wrote:
I appreciated you sticking up for Phoenix, flushd.

Phoenix is a big girl with a bright head on her shoulders and probably does not need sticking up for. She handles herself very well on her own.
0 Replies