Being a Christian and Drinking

ktflyer

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
I am a Christian and I drink... I don't get drunk. I drink sometimes with my meals because I like the taste... I was talking with some friends and they said you can't drink and be a Christian, that its wrong. I don't think it is. I've been studding the Bible for the past two days and I can't find anything that says its wrong. My friends have no proof to back up what they say. In the Bible it states nowhere that it is right nor wrong to drink. I'd love to hear what others think!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,214 • Replies: 95
No top replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:26 pm
As long as you drink but don't get drunk, you will only go to the third ring of hell--which is where you are routinely raped by so-so looking gargoyles.

If you drink and DO get drunk--level of drunkeness to be decided by Rev Hal Philbus of NJ--you will die ten years earlier than you would have originally, in a fire of some description, and you'll be directly transported to the fifth ring of hell, where you'll get poked by those three pronged pitchforks for all eternity.

Since Jesus made wine from water, they are better Christians than Jesus anyway. They should write their own Bibles immediately.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:48 pm
It MUST be ok to drink! Jesus encouraged it among his disciples! He even turned water into wine! Those guys must have had a great time!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:55 pm
Why would Jesus change water into wine, if he was anti-drinking?

I think your friends don't have a clue...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:10 pm
Jesus must have had a real drinking problem if he insisted on changing healthy water into brian-cell-destroying wine!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:58 pm
I think friends who think it is their place to tell you how to live your life deserve a bop on the head. But since that is un-christian like, I'd pour them a drink instead.

I know christians who drink, and I know christians who don't drink.

The ones who condemn the other guys are aholes. Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:10 pm
One of the greatest Biblical proofs that drinking alcohol is not a sin in God's eyes is the fact that Christians drink wine showing Christ died for our sins. Some believe that "oinos" (Greek: oinoV, Strong's Concordance #3631) was grape juice, but it couldn't be because it represented His blood which pictures life. God said that what gives us life is our blood. Wine is fermented grape juice which is active or "living" just as our blood.

The Apostle Paul did not think drinking wine was a sin. He tells Timothy, who was having stomach trouble, that he should drink a little wine for his stomach's sake.

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities. " (I Timothy 5:23)
Based on the Bible, drinking alcohol is of itself not a sin or harmful. As stated previously, Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine to benefit his health. The latest scientific findings show drinking moderately is helpful for our heart and lowers cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Of course, the Bible does condemn drunkenness. Titus 1:7 states that a minister of God should not be given to wine or an alcoholic. Drunkenness is clearly a sin (I Timothy 3:8).

The Apostle Paul warns us that we should not be drunk with wine, wherein is excess ( Ephesians 5:18).

As long as we drink moderately, the Bible states it is good for us, but drunkenness or alcoholism is definitely a sin and not to be a part of a Christian's life.

www.biblestudy.org
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:14 pm
What a great guy Jesus was.

These brewery execs would be nowhere without him giving them the idea. I wonder what His royalties would have amounted to with just a 1% cut. And that's leaves room for the rest of us surely?
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:00 pm
Sorry to interrupt, but ....

squinney wrote:
The Apostle Paul ... He tells Timothy, who was having stomach trouble, that he should drink a little wine for his stomach's sake.

Until modern sanitation and sterilization came into effect, drinking straight water was a risky business, unless you had access to an uncontaminated spring. The brewing and distillation processes of making beer and wine essentially kills much of the harmful bacteria. And they both have other nutrients in them as well. This is why wine would be considered healthier than water and why ancient and not-so-ancient peoples drank water only as a last resort.

It also means that mankind has been drunk for a long time, and explains some of the weirder things that happened in history.
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:12 pm
Re: Being a Christian and Drinking
ktflyer wrote:
... I've been studding the Bible for the past two days...

Do you normally do this with the lights on, or off?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 07:19 pm
ktflyer wrote:
I am a Christian and I drink... I don't get drunk. I drink sometimes with my meals because I like the taste... I was talking with some friends and they said you can't drink and be a Christian, that its wrong. I don't think it is. I've been studding the Bible for the past two days and I can't find anything that says its wrong. My friends have no proof to back up what they say. In the Bible it states nowhere that it is right nor wrong to drink. I'd love to hear what others think!

Studying the bible for the past two days? You must be a bible scholar by now. Laughing Everything in moderation. The bible does not say you shouldn't or couldn't drink, just do not do so to excess. Drunkards are mentioned in the bible.

Yes, Jesus made wine from water. This was his first miracle at the wedding in Cana. He was urged to do so by his mother, Mary. Wine is also substituted for the blood of Jesus for the Sacraments.

Most Christians that I know enjoy a cold beer or a glass of wine. They just ensure that they remain sober in doing so.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:25 pm
ktflyer wrote:

Luke 21:33-35
34 "But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth.

Romans 13:12-14
12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Ephesians 5:17-19
17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,

All I've ever found are things along lines of the above scriptures. It warns against being drunk. I agree with intrepid. It's when it's in excess that it could be considered a problem. On the other hand though, many "christians" get a sense of self-righteousness out of laying down rules for others to follow that 99% of them couldn't or wouldn't follow themselves. It makes them feel big and important I guess.
0 Replies

ktflyer

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
Intrepid Studying the bible for the past two days? You must be a bible scholar by now. Everything in moderation. The bible does not say you shouldn't or couldn't drink, just do not do so to excess. Drunkards are mentioned in the bible.

I've been reading the bible the bible my hole life. I have only been studing this subject for two days.The reason I have been studying the for two days is because this only happend two days ago... what I was saying was that in the bible it says no where that you "can" or "can't" it just mentions different places in the bible about drinking, drunkness, and being sober
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:47 am
This thread makes me laugh. Are some people so clueless that they need to find a passage in a book to tell them whether it is OK to drink? Don't people think for themselves?

It is very simple. A little alcohol makes for a pleasant social gathering. If you drink out of depression, or to delay handling a knotty problem in your life, or just to "forget", it is unwise. If you drink to the point where it is affecting your relationships, your career, and your health, you are doing a very stupid and self destructive thing.

See. I gave you the answers, for free! Clue: You could have figured it out for yourself!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:15 am
Phoenix,
This thread was "Being a Christian and Drinking". Therefore, I would think that the poster wanted Christian answers. However stupid you may think this is, most of us stuck with the premise of the thread.
0 Replies

ktflyer

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:28 am
Amen Intrepid!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:32 am
Intrepid- I had a smartass answer all thought up, but I refrained from posting it. I think that with what is going on the the world, in the name of many religions, I am becoming a bit disgusted with how the world is being shot to hell in the name of religion. Unfortunately, I took out my pique on the folks on this thread.

Sorry about that. I have always been a believer in "live and let live", and I think that my current disgruntledness got the better of me!
0 Replies

Dizzy Delicious

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:54 am
Doesn't Islam prohibit the use of alcohol?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:02 am
I would love to master that "turnng water into wine" trick. I'd be invited to all the parties!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid- I had a smartass answer all thought up, but I refrained from posting it. I think that with what is going on the the world, in the name of many religions, I am becoming a bit disgusted with how the world is being shot to hell in the name of religion. Unfortunately, I took out my pique on the folks on this thread.

Sorry about that. I have always been a believer in "live and let live", and I think that my current disgruntledness got the better of me!

I hope I didn't offend you. I just said what I thought needed to be said. The horrendous things happening in the world notwithstanding.
0 Replies