Being a Christian and Drinking

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:43 am
Her statement "The Bible says do all things in moderation" incorrectly states that anything you want to do is ok, as long as you do it in moderation.

This is wrong.

It shouldn't stand unquestioned.

She has rephrased now.

Crisis averted.

It wasn't that hard for her to correct her error, nor was it unreasonable to expect her to do so.

What makes this so long and drawn out is her loathe to admit her mistakes.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 11:54 am
Intrepid,

Thank you for posting that verse from Phillipians. I was having a hard time trying to explain how it fits into "all things in moderation". Someone had explained it to me but I couldn't seem to repeat it as they had.

I really thought I had posted somewhere after that original post of mine about "all things in moderation" that COMMON SENSE would tell me that I can't do EVERYTHING I want to as long as I do it in moderation, but perhaps I didn't.

What this little exercise has done is show me just how easily scripture can be twisted to mean exactly what one would like for it to mean for their own ends. Just like those that believe that if you are not Baptized a certain way then you aren't saved, works are more important than grace, etc. It's easy to focus on one word or phrase and make of it what you will. So, it is equally important to be very careful about how you state something because there will always be those that will make something of it other than it is. But, I don't think God ever meant for us to keep common sense out of reading the Bible. A lesson learned. :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:09 pm
If you are more careful with your declarative statements about what the Bible and God mean and say, you'll avoid so many criticisms.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:07 pm
Lash wrote:
Her statement "The Bible says do all things in moderation" incorrectly states that anything you want to do is ok, as long as you do it in moderation.

This is wrong.

Maybe you made this interpretation. I did not. Then again, I wasn't purposely looking for fault.

Quote:
She has rephrased now.

Crisis averted.

It wasn't that hard for her to correct her error, nor was it unreasonable to expect her to do so.

Only because she was called a liar and made to feel that some sort of vindication was in order.

Quote:

Lash, let me ask you. Do you ever make mistakes? Do you expect to be dragged behind a speeding chariot when you do? Does everything have to be about finding fault?

It is not my intention to drag this out, only to point out that what you perceive as one thing may be something different altogether.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:17 pm
Remember Christians, when the New testament was being written as separate unincorporated documents, it didnt exist yet, so all the scribes and Apotles only had the OT to draw from. The OT is loaded with drink and sex and dancing and playing cards. Those guys knew how to party, so how , could a Christian be doctrinally against drinking?
The ones who extract single lines here and there and then base their entire lives on them are about half smart.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:30 pm
That's right fm. I consider myself a Christian most of the time. I dreamt I was helping a little old lady across the street the other night.

I certainly have nothing against drink and sex and dancing girls and playing cards. Gambling generally.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
speaking of half smart. Am I being stalked ?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:51 pm
Are you saying that any stalker of yours would have to be half smart? Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:01 pm
I didn't see too many, if any, Christians that were against drinking per se. Only against excessive indulgence.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
What a frikkin goon. Not you, Farmerman.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:10 pm
Shocked Question
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:02 am
Intrepid wrote:
Lash wrote:

This is wrong.

I took it literally. It was literally wrong, as many of her statements about God and the Bible. She has set herself up as an Oracle on religious material. She should expect challenges when she's wrong..
Maybe you made this interpretation. I did not. Then again, I wasn't purposely looking for fault.
I took it literally. How you took it is your business.
Quote:
She has rephrased now.

Crisis averted.

Only because she was called a liar and made to feel that some sort of vindication was in order.
Because 1) she did lie and 2) the method I use is the only method so far discovered to cause her to admit error.
Quote:

Lash, let me ask you. Do you ever make mistakes?
Many times.
Do you expect to be dragged behind a speeding chariot when you do?
I have been dragged behind MANY speeding chariots. Does everything have to be about finding fault?
No. Only with holier than thou liars who continue to act as though they have the inside scoop from God.
It is not my intention to drag this out, only to point out that what you perceive as one thing may be something different altogether.
My perception of her is based on plenty of information from her. I think you only exacerbate the problem by adding in. But, certainly you're free to do it if you choose.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:54 am
Intrepid,

I do appreciate what you tried to do here. I do understand you did it in a spirit of caring for both Lash and myself. But please, for the sake of harmony, can we just not respond to it anymore? I just hate to see everyone drug into this because she can't let go of whatever it is she feels she has against me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:26 pm
You never told the truth about what you did.

Do it, and I'll stop.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:55 pm
Does anyone know definitely if the wine that was being drunk at weddings and such was actually alcoholic? Does anyone know of any particular scripture for this?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:17 pm
which reminds me, does anyone know what kind of bread and fish were served? perhaps some rye and albacore or maybe wholewheat and snapper.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:44 pm
First marketed in the year 311 b.c. in anticipation of the immaculate deception and birth of jesus.
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/images/Radios%20Page/radio-welchs.JPG
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:50 pm
I just found this thread. Why've you folks been hiding it? It's a hoot!!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:56 pm
snood. If I am a goon, then I shall wallow in my goonness, for very few of us can say that theyve achieved such status in life. My very first cartoons were based upon Mr Segars own work , he has been my personal hero. (Mr Segar, not the goon)
As for spendi, he just roams around , usually half in the bag, trying to insult his bettors.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
Matthew 9:17 ~ Neither do men put new wine into old wineskins: else the skins break, and the wine runneth out, and the wineskins perish: but they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

Does that have anything to do with fermentation?
0 Replies