Anachronisms

Tico

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:31 am
I'm reading a book titled A Perfect Red by Greenfield. Subtitled "Empire, Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire". It's the history of cochineal dye, produced in Mexico and part of the Aztec tribute system which the Spanish inherited on conquest. This dye produced a much-desired deep and fast red, and became a major source of wealth in Europe.

I very much like histories like this, because they give a better picture of the whole society, rather than the simple year/battle/dynastic histories of the upper echelons. This one had good promise, but by the first few chapters the author had already made me doubt her scholarship.

But here I am on page 80, where she says, "Sir William Cecil, Queen Elizabeth's secretary of state, for example, may have followed the sober Spanish fashion in his dress, but at home he slept in a Jacobean bed flamboyantly hung with crimson velvet."

Cecil died in 1598. The Jacobean period refers to the reign of James I, began in 1603. Clearly Cecil did not sleep in a Jacobean bed.

It's a small point (and it won't stop me from reading the rest of the book) but it's such an obvious error that it makes one suspect of all the author's work.

Aargh. Shouldn't the author have recognized her error? Shouldn't the editor have done so as well?

Do anachronisms make you crazy? Or is there another way of looking at this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 666 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 11:55 am
I so liked Johnson's Birth of the Modern that I gave copies to a lot of people. Great scope, yet still able to provide insights into small details. If there were any factual errors, I didn't catch them. Loved his notes and bibliography. His prose, was interesting and even lively without embellishment. Clear prose and persuasive of the author's point of view.

Sometime later I happened across Johnson's History of the American People, and snatched it up in anticipation of more good stuff. I pushed aside some reading that had a higher priority for me, and settled in for a good read. It was terrible. There were no insights into how the Revolution or the Civil War were tied into other events and trends of the day. The writer found no joy in his story, and that was reflected in the language. The book read like an undergraduate history text. For all that I didn't rush from notation to notes to discover other interesting material, and the bibliography could have been phoned in.

Even worse were the glaring errors that wouldn't be made by the poorest graduate student. He never seemed to realize that there were several important Confederate Generals named Johnson. There wasn't much clarity to be found anywhere in thought or in prose. The text seemed as if no one had proof checked it, much less checked to insure that the facts were straight. I never finished reading the book, and I still feel a bit betrayed by the promise of Birth of the Modern.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:09 pm
Re: Anachronisms
Tico wrote:
Cecil died in 1598. The Jacobean period refers to the reign of James I, began in 1603. Clearly Cecil did not sleep in a Jacobean bed.

...Aargh. Shouldn't the author have recognized her error? Shouldn't the editor have done so as well?

It's possible that she's knowingly applying the adjective retroactively, i.e. she's suggesting that the bed, had it been made a few years later, would have looked like what we understand as Jacobean. It's not that different from applying Freudian analyses to, say, Shakespeare, is it? It's still an anachronism, but maybe not quite a factual error.
0 Replies