The plan - Please read

GreenEyes

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:43 am
Butrflynet wrote:
GreenEyes wrote:

Hey Butterfly - I am an Irish Bostonian--I am closet gourmet chef and this would be a GREAT opportunity to make a traditional Irish breakfast.... black & white pudding, bangers & rashers, etc.... There is more to Irish than just the pint!

Heya GreenEyes. My dad's side of the family are all Irish Bostonians too. They've been in West Hanover for close to 150 years now. My 85 year old father just recently moved back there from Georgia to be near his brothers and sister. Lots of old Irish recipes in that family that I'd love to share. Smile

I am first on one side, first and second on the other... what does that mean? But... I am 100% Irish through and through, although I am tall, think and dark with green eyes... I get asked if I am Italian of all things!
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:43 am
thin*... although I do think!
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:48 am
actually dark refers to hair.. skin is typical .... white. We sunburn in summer and if you don't use sunblock you are screwed... i.e., Irish Tan... sunburn, blister, peel, connect freckles.. whalaah!! Irish Tan!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:48 am
Craven, put me down for $10.

Lots of good feedback here. I'm sure we can make it happen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:00 am
Quick note -- ton of experience with non-profits here. Don't really recommend it unless we are going for grants. Which is not out of the question -- we could conceivably swing an NEA grant, for example. Actually, the more I think about it, we could research grants and then tweak the site to match.

The ESL part of the site is a major candidate. There are lots and lots of education grants out there.

What I would be talking about is getting $10,000 -$25,000 to cover us for a good long chunk of time.

I'd be willing to do the research and paperwork if I get a percentage. It's a lot of work, but it's what I do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:35 am
Craven --

<<As to begging for money I will not do that. A hobby that makes one resort to begging should at least involve riotous living.>>

Absolutely! And if you're not making money, you should at least be having fun.

I'm very glad to hear I don't have to worry about your commitment to the site. Good for you.

Lots of good ideas on here. If you're already looking at a tie-in with Amazon, why not ask them to sponsor a contest? A couple of large gift certificates from Amazon.com would certainly appeal to the folks on here. And to make it worth Amazon's time, give them a banner ad during the contest.

Raising $2,500 a year is not much. Perhaps you should set the bar higher and compensate yourself, Craven. You're worth it. You do a great job here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:40 am
I can pay 5-10 monthly, but I'd rather drop a larger check less frequently. I'd also rather not have paypal take a cut.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:41 am
I agree with Visitor's last point. Craven, you and Jes should get some sort of compensation for all the work you do.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:00 am
Thanks everyone. I think I have the data I need. It will be a while before anything happens.

I probably won't be taking any checks. And I think most members are interested in helping but pretty much want to make a donation.

So it's unlikely that I'll be moving on this soon. I do not wish to accept checks at the moment (probably not at all).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:21 am
Some good ideas...hope ya work something out Craven.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:34 pm
Humour this blonde for a moment okay folks?.....

In the space above that reads 'Advertising Suspended' is the place where banner ads go.....what's the problem? I ignore them anyway.

I have read through the entire thread ~ pop-ups are a no-no. But banner ads? In that tiny space? Or even on the side?

Forgive me if I've missed something pertinent.....

I visit a few sites regularly ~ mostly to keep up with the news ~ the banner ads are everywhere, but I honestly can't remember what any of them have said, because I ignore them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:37 pm
"what's the problem? I ignore them anyway. "

The question and the answer all in one.

Advertisers don't like to advertise on forums because of the high amount of displays compared to the low amount of clicks.

Couple this with some of the stuff posted on the forums (that the advertisers want no association with) and other demographical data it's a substandard solution.

But no worries, I ahve the info I need and will continue to work with affiliates and ad brokers to acheive solvency.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:42 pm
Gotcha boss.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:44 pm
Not sure how I missed this one, but I'm here now -- and I have read pages 1 & 8.

I am certainly willing to pay an amount to help keep the site solvent -- and to prevent the kind of thing Craven considered when he mentioned the possibility of being "down-sized."

$5 a month is exceedingly inexpensive considering the entertainment I get from A2K.

I'd be delighted to send a year's contribution at any time -- as soon as the plan is implemented.

CAUTION: (This may have been covered)

Some people frequenting these sites really don't have lots of bucks to spare. I think "voluntary" probably works much better than compulsory. I am positive Craven will find enough willing contributors to take care of the needs so that the people who truly cannot contribute without stretching a budget won't have to do so.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:50 pm
Update:

I will not be implementing this plan.

Clarifications:

I will never consider a mandatory fee.

I will not accept donations.

Explanation:

This thread has served to give me the following useful information:

The demographics of this site (particularly the average age) is not going to lend itself well to service oriented support.

Older demographics are less interested in online services than are a younger crowd.

On a gaming board I could have been flooded with hosting requests.

Anywho, the services I can offer as premium services are simply not that interesting to the group (with a few exceptions).

So it's time to work on the other ideas I have had.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:51 pm
Stole your style there didn't I Frank? :-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:06 pm
edited by author
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:14 pm
CDK I was wondering if we could have a Forum called "Stupid Questions" and can I be the Moderator??
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:31 pm
Craven--

Count on me for $60 a year--and I'd much rather send someone a check than pay on line.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:40 pm
My checks in the mail. Wink c.i.
0 Replies