The plan - Please read

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:48 pm
I've been saying I have a plan for the site's solvency for a while now and I think it's time for me to start thinking about it.

Right now I pay to host this site, it's not something I mind at all. Web development is a hobby and business I deeply enjoy. Before I continue I have to say that this site is not in any immediate danger. The following is an idea to enable the site to be ad-free for everyone and is not a "save A2K". I am perfectly capable at the moment of paying teh costs of the site.

But whether or not I want to pay for the costs is one thing, whether I can is another.

Right now I can. And have no problem doing so. But the site depends on my economic situation and that is something I consider far too fragile. If I were to lose my job I'd be unable to pay for the hosting and would not ahve time to execute a plan to keep the server paid for.

When I started the site the costs were about $8 a month, it was nothing and I paid a year upfront.

The site grew and before my year was up I had to move to a dedicated host (this means a server that's dedicated exclusively to me, so that I do not ahve to deal with a couple hundred other sites on the same box).

Dedicated servers run from $100 a month to a few thousand a month. So it was a big step up from what I was paying.

That's why I started to monetize the site. I affiliated with hundreds of sites and added banner ads.

Soon that server was not powerful enough and this last weekend we moved to a more powerful one.

The affiliations only pay per lead or sale. Thus far out of a few hundred affiliates only one (Amazon) ever drew a sale. This rate could have been improved but I'm not interested in more instrusive advertising.

Popups are another option, the banner ad market is horrible. A new site like this gets only a few centes per 1000 ads displayed. Popups would amke much more but I hate popups.

Rich media ads are now the rage, this means flash ads much larger than banners. Some are called skyscrapers (these are the tall ones that go down the side of a page).

While I might use them on some other projects and areas of this site I do not think large ads are good for the forums, where the level of activity is frenetic. Forums use huge amounts of system resources and bandwith but are not idea advertising mediums. Most advertisers reject any and all forum advertising.

So I do not want to use skyscraper ads and other large ads. Pageload time is something I hope to improve right now, not degrade.

So far all the ad revenue, all the Amazon revenue and all the Ad-Free subscription revenue has not totaled a month's worth of hosting fees.

Like I said, this is not a problem right now, besides my rent this is my next most important bill. But I do want this site to stand on its own legs and survive events that can happen in my life.

The current cost for hosting this site is between $150-250 a month (every now and then it gets real expensive, during this month it will be over 300). It varies depending on bandwidth usage and support needed and other variables (e.g. I paid for two servers this month so that there would be less downtime in teh site move). When the server has serious problems I have to pay an on-site (the server is in San Antonio) tech to help.

Amazon and banners have been negligible but the 4 or 5 members who contribute 4 dollars monthly (they pay 4.50 but paypal takes a cut) are the largest contributers to the site's financial independence.

I could eventually make the site supported through ads but many do not like ads.

Hats and other such merchandise have not helped. This far with out hats experiment we have only covered the cost of the hats. I've looked into other mechandising options and think that they will not be able to support the site.

I've planned to open premium services for a while. Services in mind were email addresses (with 100MB of space etc), hosting (I will consider hosting some sites as long as they do not harm A2K's functionality) private forums (for now the existing ones are free and this is not going to be made avalable for a while), photo album hosting, blogs and galleries
(like this), etc..

Right now the minimum cost of the site is $150 a month. I thought that this could be covered without banners on the forums and without becoming a paid site (if I can no longer offer a free service to those who do not want to pay I'll simply stop, I do not want a fee-based obligation).

Recently with the trouble the ads have been causing (they are slowing down the site because my ad serving technology used a database) I had an idea.

If, through the various methods outlined above, premium services can cover the base cost of hosting I will forego the banners on the forums entirely.

This means the forums (the part of the site in the /forums/ directory and below) will not have any ads. Some otehr projects might have ads but over 90% of the traffic is in the forums directory. Most here don't pay attention to the rest of the site.

I am currently in transition. I am redesigning the look of the site, and my ad agency is implementing a new system.

I'd like to know if the membership is interested in the plan.

Who would be interested in a subscription service that keeps the site self supporting and ad free?

If the subscriptions reach $150 a month (the current base price) I can safely stop worrying about developing the ad revenue and can then remove the ads from the forum.

So, if anyone here is interested in the plan please say so. I need to crunch the numbers. Please say what you would be willing to contribute (amounts less than $5 can help).

If there is interest I will elaborate more on the services I can offer in return (that would be the email, hosting, galleries, custom titles etc).

I may be optimistic but I think getting to $150 a month would be easy. Small payments can help add up.

As the site's costs grow I would make the members aware of this.

My goal is to have a stable site that can withstand economic hardship on my part and in general. I can do it two ways, with the members or on my own (through ads etc).

I don't mind either way but decided to see what everyone thinks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,204 • Replies: 177
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:54 pm
errrrrrr, other than paying, would i have to do anything as a subscriber?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:59 pm
If you ask us to make payments on a voluntary basis I will contribute. If you ask us to pay to subscribe, I will subscribe. I await your signal and an address to mail to - I pay by checks and money orders only.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:59 pm
Yes, you have to whip the hamsters.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:01 pm
edgar,

This is just in the idea phase. It will only be implemented if there is interest. If not I'll continue to do the ad strategy thing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:05 pm
Note: I can get my employer to pay at least $10 a month. I'll give my company remote backup ability and since they will be using space, not resources, it won't make a difference for A2K.

So right now we are at $10. The goal is $150.

Note: getting to 150 is not going to be profitable for me. I will still be paying almost as much in other costs. $150 is the bare minimum the site needs to stay online at current usage levels. If that number is reached I won't worry about making the ads work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:05 pm
Hmmmmmm
so I could just drop a u.s. funds cheque in the mail and not have to accept a hat in exchange?

[size=7](i'd still like an A2K tie-tack pin - maybe I'll have to work up my own)[/size]
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:06 pm
Why not put it to a poll or vote of members. $5.00 amonth is like a hamburg and a coke. fee should not be chaged to a newbie until they achieve so many posts. Ask for input to fine tune system.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:08 pm
I don't think I'd be a very good hamster whipper, but I could brush their teeth, if that would help anything.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:08 pm
bobsmyth,

A fee will NEVER be a requirement. For newbies and regulars alike.

-----------------

re: checks, I hope to avoid using checks and would have to consider this before I say anything. I dislike dealing with money very much and am careful about what I get myself into.

----------------

Guys, until you give me numbers I'm stuck at $10.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:11 pm
Craven - my options are U.S. fund cheques or U.S. cash, and I'm not mailing cash. I was thinking of $50 or $60 U.S./year, paid in one clump. So say $5/mnth.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:14 pm
Ok, the following numbers are tentative because I'm not sure how I'd handle checks. I'd probably ahve to open a savings account and put it all there for an A2K rainy day.

so we are at a tentative $15
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:15 pm
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I do not process credit cards. I do not want involvement in such transactions so I'd use a reputable third party such as paypal (owned by ebay.com).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:18 pm
ok if folks don't like paypal.com there is another option via Citibank called C2it.com actually I kind of like it. It works basically like paypal - you can use your creditcard via C2it also just like paypal.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:22 pm
I wonder how folks think about surveys and giving up information like that?? I get paid by a one company to take a survey one or 2 times a week - last month I earned $25.00 - If there was some interest in that I'd approach them if I has statistics and info about our interest??? A thought
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:24 pm
I do not plan to bring third party surveys etc into the mix. "The Plan" is a simple one yet I spent a long time thinking about whetehr I could accept it. I don't want to trow additional factors into the mix.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:33 pm
I'm not knocking you bud! I've spent lots of time thinking about it myself. I had a business approach me today with a $50.00 a month plan like out of this world offerings, I had to tell the guy to go away for a while - temptation............ Smile and I'm to busy.
But the references looked interesting - man where are these guys
when ya ya need them, if they are anywhere near real!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:35 pm
Craven - at present I could manage $15 Oz dollars a month - this will be a bit variable - at present that would be about $9 or $10 $US - but it would go up and down.

I am happiest to do that in a hit once a year, by cheque or money order in $US., but will consider monthly automatic withdrawal.

Or, if the variability is an issue, I could hit on say $8.50 per month $US?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:35 pm
Craven, I don't think you are going to have any problem in getting the $150 (or say $200) a month you need. Let's say $2400 is the target for the next 12 months.
The problem is that you don't like to handle money while many of the rest of us don't like the concept of using Paypal or something like that. You also mentioned, a long time ago, that you were adverse to the notion of seeming to play favorites based on who contributed the most money.
Here is my suggestion: There are many fine folks here (whom I have never met) who I trust to be decent people. I would have no problem with one of them opening a bank account in which we could deposit our (non tax-deductible) contributions. Funds could be dispersed to you as needed. You wouldn't need to know who gave what and there could be an "audit committee" of one or two other folks to oversee the whole thing.
It seems to me that this would be pretty painless. -realjohboy-
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:36 pm
Plus - I am happy to groom hamsters- no whipping!
0 Replies