(UK) Women have to wait 150 more years for equal wages.

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:18 am
Women will have to wait up to another 150 years for equal wages to their male counterparts, according to research published in The Times.

The gap in pay between men and women had been narrowing for the past 30 years, but has now started to become static, analysts at the Centre for Economic Performance at the London School of Economics (LSE) said.

The imbalance was blamed partly on the penalisation of women who take career breaks to have children and then work part-time after giving birth.

However, the report found that even women who worked full-time and did not take career breaks would still earn 12 percent less than their male counterparts after 10 years, due to discrimination and ineffective government policies.

Lesbian women in couples were paid 11 per cent more than their heterosexual equivalents, and were 12 per cent more likely to be in work, due in part to heterosexual women's child care commitments, the study said.

The report also found that gay men were paid six percent less than their heterosexual colleagues, and were three percent less likely to be employed.

The Times: Women will earn the same as men - if they wait 150 years
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 808 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 01:23 am
I dispute this, Walter.

I know many women who are only 110, who have already acheived equal pay.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 05:19 am
I hope it doesn't take so long. I mean it is so grossly unfair.

of course one thing the study probably didn't take into account is the rising trend in male students who are not doing well in school or dropping out. Females are doing much better in school. There are now also more females graduating college at a higher rate than males.

This means that there will be more females and less males qualified educationally to do high paying jobs.

that could potentially level out the income differences.
0 Replies