if you lived here you might be dead-10 worst intersections

LibertyD

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:29 pm
Edgar, I didn't want to say or imply anything about Texas drivers, but we do get a lot of them in these parts of the country...Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:58 pm
Ah, but, I too am a Texas driver. I don't think you can pick on a specific state.
When I lived in Providence, R.I., I was continually aggravated by drivers' refusal to stop for flashing red signal lights. But, here is the strange part about traffic there. At the intersection before the state capitol building the intersecting streets are multiple lane and jam-packed all the day long. The traffic lights are absolutely ignored. The cars moving do not stop unless cars wishing to cross the other way manage to ease their noses far enough out to stop them. Then the newly moving cars go until they are forced to stop. This was over 25 years ago. It may be different now.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:13 pm
I was joking about Texas drivers (much of our family are also Texas drivers). It seems that certain parts of every city have different driving patterns, for whatever reason. It would be interesting to know what similarities these intersections share or don't share.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:20 pm
I know it was a joke. No offence taken. I was not joking about my family members, however. One is relatively cool, but the other amazes me by staying alive year after year with the way this one drives.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:41 pm
Dear Visitor. You've made me happy. I didn't want to think of LibertyD in the hands of a grappler without me being there to protect her. Hope you have a blast. At least you know you'll have a topic for conversation.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:46 pm
Edgar, those are the guys (or gals) who can prove miracles happen just by driving from one part of town to the other.

BobSmyth, what a sweet guy you are! Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:53 pm
Yeah, bob...we can talk about YOU! Smile (hee hee!)

See? The list wasn't worthless after all.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:08 pm
nothing's worthless if it makes friends of acquaintances. Old Smithism.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:27 pm
Does that mean you're an old Smith? Smile
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:14 am
Definitely. Why I remember as kid making drawings in the cave. Hunting mastodons. You try dragging one of those suckers back to the barbecue pit. Knocking women on the head with a club. You know the usual.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:26 am
Jeez, I'll be in Tulsa next week. Must remember to avoid that area. Thanks for heads up, bob!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:33 am
Happy to do it D'artagnan. Just remember if you see Memorial Drive take the first exit no matter what. LOL. Good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:49 am
LA, I am wondering too why it isn't in the list. Hmm, maybe the drivers are uninsured. by State Farm or others.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:19 pm
I hope you enjoy your visit to our lovely little city, D'artagnan -- and don't forget to visit Cherry Street! (just helping out a little with the PR, visitor! heehee) Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:26 pm
Say, D'artagnan, when will you be here? Perhaps all three of us could meet up somewhere? LibertyD & I were just planning a lunch...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:29 pm
That would be fun, Visitor and LibertyD, but I think I'll have my hands full with family responsibilities. There will be relatives I haven't seen in decades, my uncle's turning 80, and my ancient mother is flying in from NY. You get the picture...

But I'm sure I'll have a great time in your city. Say, can either of you recommend a nice pub in Tulsa? Thanks!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:32 pm
I would recommend Kilkenny's -- great food, great atmosphere, service etc. Do you know what part of town you're visiting?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:40 pm
I'll be staying at the Hilton that's nearest the airport. My uncle lives elsewhere, but my sister, her husband and I are renting a car. Thanks for the tip re Kilkenny's. I'll look for it!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:09 pm
Too bad you'll be tied up, but LibertyD and I will carry on without you! I certainly do understand about family obligations. They come first.

Kilkenny's is located in the Cherry Street district. That's on 15th Street between Peoria and Utica Avenues (near downtown). It's a fairly new pub that's authentically Irish...all millwork, light fixtures, etc. came straight from Dublin. They even brought over Irish craftsmen to do the interior. Naturally, they have a great bar, and the food's very good, too. You'll enjoy it...I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't liked it.

From the airport, take I-244 West toward downtown, exit at Utica. Go south (left) 1.5 mi. to 15th (Cherry St.), turn west (right), Kilkenny's is about 4 blocks down on the right. Take advantage of the valet parking if they're offering it...and have a Guinness for me!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:18 pm
'T'ain't just the State Farm skew -- it's also about how bad the accidents are. At a busy intersection, it's hard to get up the speed to kill somebody. Now, some of the intersections on Highway 99 in California are deadly in winter when the tule fog is thick -- people (specially those that don't know any better or just can't wait) get smeared across the road on a pretty regular basis, considering how light the traffic actually is.

Worst one in Seattle is at N. 130th and Aurora Ave. (the same Highway 99, only they give it a pretty name here). Traffic is just light enough sometimes that you can get up to a decent speed, fly into the red light, and have yourself a good wreck. The numbers of the disturbed homeless who like to wander across the street against the light probably contributes, too...
0 Replies