if you lived here you might be dead-10 worst intersections

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 12:40 pm
I checked and none of them is near where I live. Please see if you or a near and dear is endangered:

10 most dangerous intersections & photos

City/State Location State Farm Danger Index*
1. Pembroke Pines, Fla. Flamingo Road and Pines Boulevard
2. Philadelphia, Penn.
Red Lion Road and Roosevelt Boulevard
3. Philadelphia, Penn. Grant Avenue and Roosevelt Boulevard 2204
4. Phoenix, Ariz.

source: http://www.statefarm.com/di/danlist00.htm
7th Street and Bell Road
5. Tulsa, Okla. 51st Street and Memorial Drive 2000
6. Tulsa, Okla. 71st Street and Memorial Drive 1995
7. Phoenix, Ariz. 19th Avenue and Northern Avenue 1975
8. Plano, Tex. State Highway 121 and Preston Road 1937
9. Metairie, La. Clearview Parkway and Veterans Memorial Boulevard 1925
10. Sacramento, Calif. Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue 1912
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,368 • Replies: 66
No top replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 12:41 pm
Hmmmm. How did I do that? Please forward complaints to the Whoops department.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 12:54 pm
It figures that two of them are in Tulsa (my town). I've had more than one accident on Memorial Drive. I try to stay off that street now. (One of the many benefits to living in the older section of town is less traffic.)
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 01:03 pm
Visitor--In the interests of education why is it so dangerous? Or is there no clue so they can't fix it. I saw 2 of the sites are on the same road.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 01:55 pm
I didn't know my ex-girlfriend had driven in all those places.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:09 pm
Hey Visitor -- I'm in Tulsa, too. I hate driving in that part of town and avoid it at all costs.

BobSmyth, I think those intersections are dangerous because there is a high concentration of businesses and especially shopping in that area. There seems to be a lot of red-light running there, too, especially in rush-hour.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:16 pm
That'll do it every time. I can't imagine anyone in Boston running a red light (tongue firmly in cheek).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:28 pm
bobsmyth, 71st & Memorial is the largest intersection in town...most traffic, therefore most wrecks. Memorial Drive in general is very congested, very commercial (as LibertyD said) and can't be widened due to businesses on both sides. The city has tried to divert traffic onto a nearby expressway, but it is extremely congested, too. Just too much traffic heading out to the suburbs.

LibertyD...didn't realize we were in the same town! Where are you? I'm in Sunset Terrace (south Maple Ridge). I do P.R. for Cherry Street...we should meet for lunch up there some day!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:42 pm
Visitor, we just purchased a house in Gracemont (21st and Yale area). How cool that you're involved in the Cherry Street neighborhood -- one of my favorite parts of town! I would love to meet for lunch someday!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:46 pm
Look at that! I have an almost serious post and these two are making a date. You'd think I'd lose faith in humanity
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:20 pm
Bob...I'm female, and I'm married to a wonderful guy. No date. I assumed from the avatar that LibertyD is a woman, too. Just ladies who lunch...BTW, Cherry Street is a restored historic district here. Lots of fine antiques & local restaurants, etc. (www.cherryst.com)...I help them out with P.R. and events. Since I know most of the restaurant owners & managers, it's a lot of fun for me to take people there. If A2K ever has a gathering in Tulsa, I could put together something really special.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:55 pm
Intersting that Boston isnt on that list somewhere

What is a red light for by the way, I find its only a deterrent when a large truck is coming the other way or there is a police vehicle in direct sight Rolling Eyes Its great though that Green now means..look both ways then proceed to try to go, I dont remmber it being that way when I got my license but, perhaps they changed the laws.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:00 pm
Nope but of the top ten in my state 1/2 of the top four are in my town.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:03 pm
Important note on statistics!!!

Quote:
* The State Farm Danger Index is determined by the number of crashes at various intersections, how many of those crashes involved injury and the severity of those crashes.
Quote:
It is adjusted to account for the percentage of vehicles insured by State Farm in areas where the intersections are located.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:06 pm
This list is clearly useless. Not a single L.A. intersection appears on it. Bah.

(Talk about your trial by fire -- when I moved to L.A. I had a few months' driving experience, in quite genteel Madison at that. Then started my 30-mile daily commute (each way, 60 miles total) -- yoiks!! Shocked)

Yay libertyd and Viz! Glad you figured out you live in the same area. Your district sounds really nice, Viz.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:22 pm
Yep...I'm a lunch-lady, as well. But look what you've done, BobSmyth -- I might end up having my first internet friend meeting as a result of your serious car-crash thread! Smile

Sozobe -- I had the same thought. How is it that Tulsa, Oklahoma can have two intersections that are worse than anything in LA? Doesn't make sense.

Cherry Street is terriffic -- it's one of those areas that's evolved from neglect to elegance and just gets better as the years go by.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:00 pm
I'm actually amazed Boston's not in there. Everyone in Boston knows STOP means stomp toe on pedal.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:11 pm
My first time, too, LibertyD! But I'm used to arranging meetings with strangers on Cherry St....media reps, local politicians, etc...so although it's a public place, I feel very much at home there. Thanks for the compliment about Cherry St...I've worked with them for about 14 years, so I've been around to see most of those changes. I'm very proud of this group.

Re: dangerous intersections...
The list is skewed in favor of locations where State Farm is the predominant insurance carrier. State Farm & Farmers are the two largest auto insurers here. I'd be willing to bet there's more competition elsewhere in the U.S.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:21 pm
STOP=Spin tires on pavement

just another twist Wink

Actually Ive been at the Bell and 7th interssection a few times in Phoenix...its not as bad as areas around the Big Dig or anything but, considering it in and of itself and where it is..yeah, thats a pretty nice one waiting to happen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:13 pm
I have family in Plano. Two of which are prone to road rage. You don't suppose they had anything to do with it do you?
0 Replies