You mean I'm not the only one????

pachelbel

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:24 am
BernardR wrote:

Woohoo, Bernie! Impressive data.....which ancient & crumbling Reader's Digest did you get this from? I see nothing from the 21st century here. You do know we are in the 21st century? Laughing Still doesn't explain why the US is #10 on the list of liveable places and Canada is #5, does it. Laughing
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:34 am
From your post, Bernie:

'From the 1930s to the 1980s, more than 2.3 million Canadians immigrated to the United States. When the immigration laws began to tighten between 1960 and 1970, however, the annual number dropped by almost 60 percent.
This decline continued through the 1980s and had a marked effect on U.S. immigration. While in the early 1960s Canadians made up almost 12 percent of total immigrants to the United States, by the early 1980s that number fell to just two percent. In fact, almost 65 percent of the immigrants listed on the 1980 U.S. census immigrated before 1960.

Do you know what you're talking about? Do you like to shoot yourself in the foot?

So, immigration from Canada to the US fell by 60%. It had a marked effect on US immigration Cool By the early 1980's Canadians made up only 2% Laughing and 65% immigrated to the US before 1960.

WOW!! That's a lot of Canadians going to the US, bernie!!! Rolling Eyes You gotta learn how to make an argument, bub. You just lost this one Laughing

According to your facts, Canadians make up only 2% of the immigration to the US. Doesn't sound to me like they're breaking down the doors. And why should they? So they can work at Walmart and have no medical insurance Very Happy
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:43 am
The number of Canadians moving to the United States has climbed steadily since the 1850s. Based on the 1990 report Migration between the United States and Canada, migration between the two countries was relatively unrestricted until immigration laws were changed in the United States in 1965 and in Canada in 1976. In the early part of the twentieth century, for example, more than 1.2 million Canadians crossed the border to live in the United States. Interestingly, this was four times more than the number moving from the United States to Canada
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:23 pm
'by the early 1980s that number fell to just two percent. In fact, almost 65 percent of the immigrants listed on the 1980 U.S. census immigrated before 1960. '

Read the whole article slowly, maybe you'll get it. Haven't been that many immigrants since BEFORE 1960.

This is 2006 dufus. Get an updated article. That one is a joke. Rolling Eyes
Come to think of it so are all of your posts.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:40 pm
Immigration 2000 to 2010 from wikipedia:

Top Ten Foreign Countries Foreign Born Population

China 4.7%
Cuba 2.7%
Dominican Republic 2.3%
El Salvador 2.7%
India 4.0%
Korea 2.2%
Mexico 23.7%
Philippines 4.2%
Vietnam 3.0%
Canada 2.3%

Rolling Eyes as I said I don't see Canada knocking down the door to get into the US at 2.3%. That's a very low immigration rate, as your article said; it has declined since 1960. Mexico however accounts for 23.7% of your immigration!
Habla Espanol? Cool
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 12:44 am
The number of Canadians moving to the United States has climbed steadily since the 1850s. Based on the 1990 report Migration between the United States and Canada, migration between the two countries was relatively unrestricted until immigration laws were changed in the United States in 1965 and in Canada in 1976. In the early part of the twentieth century, for example, more than 1.2 million Canadians crossed the border to live in the United States. Interestingly, this was four times more than the number moving from the United States to Canada
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 07:43 am
pachelbel wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Canada is a nice place. I used to go there a lot on business with my last job. I met a lot of good people and have many Canadian friends. I am happy for them that they get to live in Canada.

It's a good thing that the political views of a few Canadians does not speak for such a nice place.

The opinion that one has of a place while visiting for business or pleasure or via friends is very different when one actually lives there.

Do not presume to know what Canadians feel about Americans. Most Canadians will not tell you how they feel to your face. They are too polite. Being as I am an ex-pat, I say what I think.

I hear plenty of talk that is anti-American, much more than even 5 years ago. People in Canada used to ask why I'd want to move to Canada, assuming the States were so great. They don't ask anymore because they know why.

Just because Harper is Bushie's little puppet does not mean that all Canadians like Americans. There's a big move to not integrate with the US any more than we have to. Yes it is a nice place and we'd like to keep it that way, thank you.

Heroin addicts tend to hang out with other heroin addicts too. That doesn't mean everyone else shoots up heroin though.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:48 pm
It is not the politics of a few. Where do you get that idea? From the 'business' you do in Canada? That makes you an expert on how Canadians feel? You're your own Gallup poll eh?

Living in Canada I IMAGINE I talk to a lot more Canadians in one day than you do while on business. I talk to Canucks from all walks of life and believe me, they do NOT feel the same way about Americans as they did in the past. This is a FACT. America has screwed Canada out of billions of d'ollars on the softwoods issue (which you know nothing about since your 'free press' in the US doesn't talk about it) and many other issues.

You're no more an expert or have a valid opinion of what you think Canadians are like anymore than I would have an opinion of Balinese, even though I spent months there. I only saw one aspect of Bali life.

You won't know what a Canadian is really thinking because, unlike Americans, they are for the most part too polite to say what they think of you or America - to your face.

I sure hear a lot of jokes at the bar, in restaurants and at the docks about Americans......we hope they come and spend lots of money. Then leave.

Your idiot leader & administration is the butt of jokes too......but Canada isn't the only country on earth who thinks this way about America. You wouldn't know anything about that, of course, insulated as you are from the real news, which would scare the he** out of you. Watch BBC?

BTW: Stories are now coming out about the Towers - have you read them? Stories from engineers who say it was blown up from inside.....that it was made to withstand planes flying into it...that steel melts at 1500 degrees and jet fuel is only 800 degrees......you might have to change your avatar eh? Something that shows the CIA planting bombs inside the Towers? Cool
Have a nice day
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:12 pm
A Government within the Government in the US? Shocked
The Real Story Behind Sept. 11.......

On the day of the 9-11 attacks, former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was asked what the attacks would mean for US-Israeli relations. His quick reply was: "It's very good…….Well, it's not good, but it will generate immediate sympathy (for Israel)"

The Five Dancing Israelis
Arrested On 9-11

As the world watched in disbelief and asked the question...

...Mossad operatives were seen dancing with joy.

A Mossad surveillance team made quite a public spectacle of themselves on 9-11.

The men set up cameras by the Hudson River and trained them on the twin towers. (1)

Police received several calls from angry New Jersey residents claiming "middle-eastern" men with a white van were videotaping the disaster with shouts of joy and mockery. (2)

"They were like happy, you know … They didn't look shocked to me" said a witness. (3)

[T]hey were seen by New Jersey residents on Sept. 11 making fun of the World Trade Center ruins and going to extreme lengths to photograph themselves in front of the wreckage. (4)

Witnesses saw them jumping for joy in Liberty State Park after the initial impact (5). Later on, other witnesses saw them celebrating on a roof in Weehawken, and still more witnesses later saw them celebrating with high fives in a Jersey City parking lot. (6)

The FBI sent out an alert to area cops, reading: "Vehicle possibly related to New York terrorist attack . . . Three individuals with van were seen celebrating after initial impact and subsequent explosion." (7)

"It looked like they're hooked in with this. It looked like they knew what was going to happen when they were at Liberty State Park." (8)

One anonymous phone call to the authorities actually led them to close down all of New York's bridges and tunnels. The mystery caller told the 9-1-1 dispatcher that a group of Palestinians were mixing a bomb inside of a white van headed for the Holland Tunnel. Here's the transcript from NBC News:

Dispatcher: Jersey City police.
Caller: Yes, we have a white van, 2 or 3 guys in there, they look like Palestinians and going around a building.
Caller: There's a minivan heading toward the Holland tunnel, I see the guy by Newark Airport mixing some junk and he has those sheikh uniform.
Dispatcher: He has what?
Caller: He's dressed like an Arab. (9)

(*Writer's note: Why would this mystery caller specifically say that these "Arabs" were Palestinians? How would he know that? Palestinians usually dress in western style clothes, not "sheikh uniforms")

Based on that phone call, police then issued a "Be-on-the-Lookout" alert for a white mini-van heading for the city's bridges and tunnels from New Jersey.
When a van fitting that exact description was stopped just before crossing into New York, the suspicious "middle-easterners" were apprehended. Imagine the surprise of the police officers when these terror suspects turned out to be Israelis!

According to ABC's 20/20, when the van belonging to the cheering Israelis was stopped by the police, the driver of the van, Sivan Kurzberg, told the officers:

"We are Israelis. We are not your problem. Your problems are our problems. The Palestinians are your problem." (10)

Why did he feel that Palestinians were a problem for the NYPD?

The police and FBI field agents became very suspicious when they found maps of the city with certain places highlighted, box cutters (the same items that the hijackers supposedly used), $4700 cash stuffed in a sock, and foreign passports. Police also told the Bergen Record that bomb sniffing dogs were brought to the van and that they reacted as if they had smelled explosives. (11)

The FBI seized and developed their photos, one of which shows Sivan Kurzberg flicking a cigarette lighter in front of the smouldering ruins in an apparently celebratory gesture. (12)

The Jerusalem Post later reported that a white van with a bomb was stopped as it approached the George Washington Bridge, but the ethnicity of the suspects was not revealed. Here's what the Jerusalem Post reported on September 12, 2001:

American security services overnight stopped a car bomb on the George Washington Bridge. The van, packed with explosives, was stopped on an approach ramp to the bridge. Authorities suspect the terrorists intended to blow up the main crossing between New Jersey and New York, Army Radio reported. (13)

TCM Breaking News reported that the van was laden down with tonnes of explosives (14).

What's really intriguing is that ABC's 20/20 (15), the New York Post (16), and the New Jersey Bergen Record (17) all clearly and unambiguously reported that a white van with Israelis was intercepted on a ramp near Route 3, which leads directly to the Lincoln Tunnel.

But the Jerusalem Post, Israeli National News (Arutz Sheva) (18), and Yediot America, (19) all reported, just as clearly and unambiguously, that a white van with Israelis was stopped on a ramp leading to the George Washington Bridge, which is several miles north of the Lincoln Tunnel.

It appears as if there may actually have been two white vans involved, one stopped on each crossing. This would not only explain the conflicting reports as to the actual location of the arrests, but would also explain how so many credible eye-witnesses all saw celebrating "middle-easterners" in a white van in so many different locations. It also explains why the New York Post and Steve Gordon (lawyer for the 5 Israelis) originally described how three Israelis were arrested but later increased the total to five.
Perhaps one van was meant to drop off a bomb while the other was meant to pick up the first set of drivers while re-crossing back into New Jersey? If a van was to be used as a parked time-bomb on the GW Bridge, then certainly the drivers would need to have a "get-away van" to pick them up and escape. And notice how the van (or vans) stayed away from the third major crossing -the Holland Tunnel- which was where the police had originally been directed to by that anti-Palestinian 9-1-1 "mystery caller". A classic misdirection play.

From there, the story gets becomes even more suspicious. The Israelis worked for a Weehawken moving company known as Urban Moving Systems. An American employee of Urban Moving Systems told the The Record of New Jersey that a majority of his co-workers were Israelis and they were joking about the attacks.

The employee, who declined to give his name said: "I was in tears. These guys were joking and that bothered me." These guys were like, "Now America knows what we go through." (20)

A few days after the attacks, Urban Moving System's Israeli owner, Dominick Suter, dropped his business and fled the country for Israel. He was in such a hurry to flee America that some of Urban Moving System's customers were left with their furniture stranded in storage facilities (21).

It was later confirmed that the five detained Israelis were in fact Mossad agents (22). They were held in custody for 71 days before being quietly released. Some of the movers had been kept in solitary confinement for 40 days. (23)

[S]everal of the detainees discussed their experience in America on an Israeli talk show after their return home.
Said one of the men, denying that they were laughing or happy on the morning of Sept. 11, "The fact of the matter is we are coming from a country that experiences terror daily. Our purpose was to document the event." (24)

How did they know there would be an event to document on 9-11?

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to connect the dots of the dancing Israeli Mossad agents - here's the most logical scenario:

1. The Israeli "movers" cheered the 9-11 attacks to celebrate the successful accomplishment of the greatest spy operation ever pulled off in history.
2. One of them, or an accomplice, then calls a 9-1-1 police dispatcher to report Palestinian bomb-makers in a white van headed for the Holland Tunnel.

3. Having thus pre-framed the Palestinians with this phone call, the Israeli bombers then head for the George Washington Bridge instead, where they will drop off their time-bomb van and escape with Urban Moving accomplices.

4. But the police react very wisely and proactively by closing off ALL bridges and tunnels instead of just the Holland Tunnel. This move inadvertently foils the Israelis' misdirection play and leads to their own capture and 40 day torture.

5. To cover up this story, the U.S. Justice Department rounds up over 1000 Arabs for minor immigration violations and places them in New York area jails. The Israelis therefore become less conspicuous as the government and media can now claim that the Israelis were just immigration violators caught in the same dragnet as many other Arabs.

6. After several months, FBI and Justice Department "higher-ups" are able to gradually push aside the local FBI agents and free the Israelis quietly.

Osama bin Laden was immediately blamed for the 9-11 attacks even though he had no previous record of doing anything on this scale. Immediately after the Flight 11 hit World Trade Center 1
CIA Director George Tenet said "You know, this has bin Laden's fingerprints all over it." (25)

The compliant mainstream media completely ignored the Israeli connection. Immediately following the 9-11 attacks the media was filled with stories linking the attacks to bin Laden. TV talking-heads, "experts", and scribblers of every stripe spoon-fed a gullible American public a steady diet of the most outrageous propaganda imaginable.

We were told that the reason bin Laden attacked the USA was because he hates our "freedom" and "democracy". The Muslims were "medieval" and they wanted to destroy us because they envied our wealth, were still bitter about the Crusades, and were offended by Britney Spears shaking her tits and ass all over the place!

But bin Laden strongly denied any role in the attacks and suggested that Zionists orchestrated the
9-11 attacks. The BBC published bin Laden's statement of denial in which he said:

"I was not involved in the September 11 attacks in the United States nor did I have knowledge of the attacks. There exists a government within a government within the United States. The United States should try to trace the perpetrators of these attacks within itself; to the people who want to make the present century a century of conflict between Islam and Christianity. That secret government must be asked as to who carried out the attacks. ... The American system is totally in control of the Jews, whose first priority is Israel, not the United States." (26)

You never heard that quote on your nightly newscast did you?

[A] number of intelligence officials have raised questions about Osama bin Laden's capabilities. "This guy sits in a cave in Afghanistan and he's running this operation?" one C.I.A. official asked. "It's so huge. He couldn't have done it alone." A senior military officer told me that because of the visas and other documentation needed to infiltrate team members into the United States a major foreign intelligence service might also have been involved. (27)

Bin Laden is not named as the perpetrator of 9-11 by the FBI: Shocked

USAMA BIN LADEN IS WANTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE AUGUST 7, 1998, BOMBINGS OF THE UNITED STATES EMBASSIES IN DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA, AND NAIROBI, KENYA. THESE ATTACKS KILLED OVER 200 PEOPLE. IN ADDITION, BIN LADEN IS A SUSPECT IN OTHER TERRORIST ATTACKS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. (28)

When asked why there is no mention of 9/11 on Bin Laden's Most Wanted web page, [Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI] said, "The reason why 9/11 is not mentioned on Usama Bin Laden's Most Wanted page is because the FBI has no hard evidence connecting Bin Laden to 9/11." (29)

To date, the only shred of "evidence" to be uncovered against bin Laden is a barely audible fuzzy amateur video that the Pentagon just happened to find "lying around" in Afghanistan. How very convenient, and how very fake. (30)

There is no evidence, be it hard or circumstantial, to link the Al Qaeda "terrorist network" to these acts of terror, but there is a mountain of evidence, both hard and circumstantial, which suggests that Zionists have been very busy framing Arabs for terror plots against America.

One final point - at 09:40 on 9-11 it was reported that the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility for the attacks (31). This claim was immediately denied by the DFLP leader Qais abu Leila who said it had always opposed "terror attacks on civilian targets, especially outside the occupied territories." (32)

9-11 CNN streamed RealVideo item mentioning a Palestinian claim of responsibility

Why would a Palestinian organisation comprising of less than 500 people (33) make the suicidal move of immediately claiming responsibility for the attacks?

Sharon and the other Israeli leaders aspire to fulfil what the goals of the political Zionist movement have been since its origin a century ago: to turn all of historic Palestine into an exclusively Jewish state. A central tenet of the Zionist ideology is expressed in the racist slogan, "A land without people for a people without a land." (34)

The implication of Palestinians in the 9-11 attacks would have handed Zionists a golden opportunity to achieve the above because all Palestinians would have been labelled terrorists.

"Evidence linking these Israelis to 9/11 is classified. I cannot tell you about evidence that has been gathered. It's classified information."
US official quoted in Carl Cameron's Fox News report on the Israeli spy ring.

"By way of deception, thou shalt do war"
Motto of the Mossad

Cool Deception is their game. And America is right in the middle of it. It's why the world does not like you. Enter the right wingers and rabid Christians................to deliver their 'spoon fed' version...... Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 03:23 pm
When I grew up in London in the 1950s, it was as if I was embalmed in American life via Hollywood & TV output. Everything from High Noon to The Girl Can't Help It. From I love Lucy to Wagon train was on offer & eagerly enjoyed it all. As a Brit it was assumed we had very much in common with America, that we wanted to follow in the American Way. Wrong. We became cherry pickers. Sure we liked the Chevy Corvette, Lucky Strike, Elvis & Pepsi for example. But we have our own way of doing many things. Europeans have different values & opinions to Americans in many things. Social ideology is different. The American approach assumes that the rest of the world should embrace everything American. Why ?
Now that Communism has been devoured, America needs a new Demon. Enter stage left, Muslims/Islam in it's many forms.
America assumed that the Iraqis would welcome them with open arms once SH was de-throned & locked up.
Wrong. Iraq has it's own on-going civil war, organised by it's own gunmen & Mindbenders. The Iraqis have not rushed to the American Cultural Icons & looked for franchise deals. McDs, Walmart & others aren't on every street corner. Live & learn. The American Way is in fact a take over bid for the rest of the world & it's failing.
Why Islam ?
How many Americans know, work, live next door to, socialise with Muslims ? What or who determines that Muslims are by definition the new bad deal that's goin down. OK, so 9-11 goes part of the way. Israels ongoing castigation of everything Islam is promoted strongly thru-out the States.
Living where I do, I can assure you that Muslims are not the tyrannical hate waving gunslingers that some amongs us believe. Muslims get angry because Israel with American backing are forever indulging in a touch of ethnic cleansing. American demands of Iraq, Iran & Syria are a step to far. America supplies Israel with very hi-tech weaponry, whilst saying Syria/Iran arming of Hezbellor is beyond the pale.
Americas' promises/demands how other countries should be run is an afrontery, evidenced by Dr. Rice's comments about future Cuban Democratic Elections. Another friendly neighborhood deal or an awayday trip for the G.Is.
I've witnessed & experienced America at first hand & it's a great country with loads of good people. but The Whole will not & doesn't fit in with the Rest of The World. Just the good & sensible bits. Not the guns, the promises of wonder or the demands.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:39 pm
Muslims aren't the bad guys; it's BushCo
Nice to get someone with a brain! Naturally it would come from outside of the US!

I was getting a bit tired of the "america, right or wrong' group and
wondering when the troglodytes would burrow underground again. I'm sure they'll resurface with more brainless 'pseudo patriotic' garbage.

The article that I posted just above yours pretty much says it all. Americans have been duped about the entire Middle East debacle in order to get another bogeyman (or Demon, as you say) in this case it's the Muslims. Here in Canada, and I'm sure England is much the same, Muslims are not racially profiled but are treated like everyone else - because they ARE like everyone else. Their kids go to school with ours, we eat in their restaurants, and we have dinner at their homes. They are very normal people and quite intelligent. Americans seem to think they all wear turbans and all belong to Al Qaeda. They are called names that I won't even repeat here. Arabs are being victimized by a well orchestrated American media (Jews) and the propaganda is non-stop.

We refuse to buy into the FEAR CAMPAIGN that Americans seem to savour--indeed, I believe they relish whether it's an 'orange alert' day or whatever. Their 'No Fear' t-shirts make me laugh. They are a very fearful people and they hide it with John Wayne swagger - guess they like to mimic Bush. Fear helps stir up their pseudo patriotism so that they can feel sanctified, justified, and sanctimonious when they drop bombs on innocent people. And the Iraqis are/were innocent.

Israelis have and are framing the Arabs. The motto of the Israeli equivalent of the CIA is:

"By way of deception, thou shalt do war"
Motto of the Mossad

Bush and his cabal are extremely ignorant and because they are ignorant they are dangerous people. The mess in the Middle East has been planned for a long time. They are playing right into Israel's little game and the Christians are singing Onward Christian Soldier. It's enough to make one vomit.

bin Laden never was the bogeyman - do the dumb Americans even wonder why he isn't mentioned anymore? Nope. They will never 'catch' him because he's a friend of Bush's. (Carlyle Group - Papa Bush). They just sit there with glassy eyes and a beer in front of their plasma TV, sucking up whatever Fox has devised for entertainment tonight - perhaps watching an Iraqi girl get raped by soldiers? Or maybe an Iraqi baby get blown in half? HE**, it's just entertainment. I doubt they get anything that real.

The born-agains are especially terrific at twisting the truth about what Israel is up to, because they are ignorant people with a shallow knowledge base of history which lends itself to immersing themselves in the Bible mythology.

Christians, by and large, are terribly hypocritical. They have used God and Jesus for centuries to do their ethnic cleansing, which is exactly what is happening with the Palestinians. Couldn't agree with you more.

America will always have to have a bogeyman, at least as long as they can afford it. Wars are profitable, if a bit messy, but heck, Americans don't have to watch the messy stuff anymore on TV. They don't even have to show bodies coming home with American flags draped over them. It's all kept so sterile, like a pretend video game to them. Easy for them to flick to a more interesting TV channel. Who wants to hear about that boring old war in Iraq, or wherever it is now.....eh?

Without some constant external threat, Americans might be questioning their government, which is what they should be doing, if they still have that right. Free speech isn't allowed there anymore (only free speech zones, where no one can actually really hear what you say; a bit of a Catch 22).

Contrary to what Americans like to think (and here I agree with another of your statements) the whole world doesn't want to be like America. America is a newcomer, and what America fails to see or realize is that Earth has many, many countries with much older cultures. And I'm talking REAL culture, not the cheap pop culture in the U.S. Thousands of years of culture and religion, not only 400 years. What arrogant, silly people the Americans are. But the Romans were like that too- and where are they now?

Enjoyed your post - sorry for the long reply. I just get so pissed off when Americans can't see beyond their noses.
0 Replies