Help me with this sentence

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:03 pm
So I'm reading My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok for Jr. Hnrs.Eng. and part of our assignment is to make a literary term handbook.
But I don't get what we're suppose to do here:
3) Discuss how the authors use of the term contributes to the larger meaning of the novel.

Can someone explain that to me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 381 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:29 pm
Karen, welcome to A2K. To what "term" are you referring?
0 Replies

kareninth

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:36 pm
I don't need help with the term. I just need help understanding what I'm suppose to do.

3) Discuss how the authors use of the term contributes to the larger meaning of the novel.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:43 pm
Well, dear. First, you say "help me with this sentence", and then you want to know how some term relates to the novel as a whole. That's a bit conflicting. Just name the term, then I will try and help you.
0 Replies

kareninth

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:49 pm
Ok here's an example.

Imagery:
1. The use of language to evoke a picture or a concrete sensation of a person, a thing, a place, or an experience.
2. "He was never describe to me, but I pictured him as slight of body and huge of head, with eyelids swollen from lack of sleep, face pale, lips dry, the veins showing blue along his cheeks and temples." (4-5)

Now I have to explain how the authors use of the term contributes to the larger meaning of the novel.
But I don't understand what they mean by how it contributes to the larger meaning of the novel. Like, are they saying, how it adds onto the story or something?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:01 pm
Ok, Let's examine the term "imagery". Do you see a picture in your head of the character? Does he come to life by the use of excellent expressions and vocabulary? Do you feel that young man's pain as he is exiled by his Jewish family for comparing his mother's problems to the crucifixation of Jesus?

Look at the title. Asher Lev is from a very orthodox Jewish family. It explains his entire life with an understatement. His name is what the conflict is about. He is brilliant, and wants to paint, but his family is opposed.
0 Replies

kareninth

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:05 pm
Ok now I understand. Thanks so much for helping. I'm sorry if I seemed confusing at first, 'cause I was pretty confused myself! Confused But thanks again. Now I know what to do.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:25 pm
Letty, you're a Good Woman.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 06:01 am
Thank you, Noddy. Let's hope our young honors student does well on her essay.
0 Replies