Fine-Tuning Threads--Should They Continue?

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:00 am
I have been posting the Fine-Tuning threads for about a month. There have been very few responses, so I'm wondering whether I should continue posting them.

Perhaps there's something you would like me to change about them.

I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,595 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:35 am
I like them! Smile I don't usually comment because the info given is usually pretty straight forward but I have seen some good tips listed.. Maybe people see them as more of a "reference" type thing so there in't much to discuss??? A "it is what it is" kind of thingy. ????
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:40 am
I have enjoyed many of the threads that you have written. I agree with fishin' that there is a tendency not ro respond to this type of thread. Maybe at the end of your thread you might want to write something like, "Please let me know if this has been helpful to you". We ALL need feedback! Very Happy
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:12 am
I enjoy the Fine-Tuning threads, and would hate to see them stop. I've posted on only a few of them, but I've read all of them with interest. Sometimes, when my mind wanders at work, I even find myself wondering what the next Fine-Tuning topic will be. (I wouldn't admit that to too many people, but I suspect I'm speaking to a like-minded audience here.) There must be dozens more topics like this that we could explore, and I hope we continue to do so.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:26 am
Smile Bree.

I definitely like them! They class up the place. Wink
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 07:56 am
Roberta, please continue the Fine-Tuning Threads! You're doing a great job with them. Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:59 am
Love, love, love 'em!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:42 pm
Thanks for the responses. Phoenix, you're right. We all need some kind of feedback. I'm glad that you're reading them and that you find them helpful.

Bree, the next one will be here shortly. Any guesses?

macsm, I haven't forgotten your request for info about reflexive pronouns. I haven't been able to find an explanation that's clear enough for me to extrapolate. I contacted an expert earlier today. We'll see if he comes up with something I think will be helpful.

Sozobe, They class up the jernt? LOL.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:19 pm
Oh, the pressure of being asked to predict what the next Fine-Tuning topic will be!

Well, let's see; we haven't had misplaced modifiers yet, have we? Which raises the question(s): are misplaced modifiers and dangling participles the same thing, or is one a subset of the other? And where do dangling modifiers fit into the picture?

I for one am on tenterhooks, waiting for the explanation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:38 pm
ohmy, I can't stand it, don't even think of stopping, just because i don't post doesn't mean I don't care, yadayada, but in this case it is true, I never wrote a paragraph to you about how much I value these....and yipes, now that I absolutely treasure them you are asking if we want them to continue. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
absolutely, please, if you would.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:40 pm
I'm with dem up dere!

I read them - I'm an English language pedant! But I haven't felt it necessary to respond!

Look at this thread - 10 responses and 94 views at the minute. So - people are looking - consider the other 80-odd as silently appreciative majority!

Go for it, Roberta Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 11:49 pm
bree, misplaced modifiers and dangling participles are different things. Neither will be up next. If you're interested in such things, I'll add them to my list. However, I will have to do a bit of hunting around. It's one thing to know what something is and to recognize it when you see it. It's quite another to explain it in a way that's understandable.

I appreciate all the positive responses. It was not my intention to sound needy. I just wanted to know if I was talking to myself (and Walter). Glad I've got readers, if not responders. Thanks.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 02:25 am
The thing is, Roberta, when you're right then any response would be superfluous. The only times I'd post to a fine thread like that would be if (1) I disagreed with something you said (see your Fine-Tuning #9--quotation marks) or (2) if I felt something needed amplification.

You're doing a terrific job and providing a real service. Please keep it up.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:41 am
Thanks for your kind words, Andy. I've already continued. And I've responded to your most welcome comments re Fine-Tuning 9.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:04 pm
As a foreigner, I highly appreciate your contribution to my culture of speech and writing. I would feel sorry if the "Fine Tunings" disappear.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:28 pm
Steissd, I'm glad you appreciate them. They won't be disappearing. The poll results are positive--12 yeses and 3 nos, so far.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:33 pm
Good! I enjoy them very much, even if I don't always post.

I do understand about wondering whether your topics are worthwhile. Take a look at Poetry sometime. Confused I'm mostly talking to myself.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:42 am
Hiya Piff, I took a look at poetry. There are some very active threads there. And then there are those in which you're talking to yourself.

Sorry I didn't post anything. I would have if I'd had something to say. In the past, not having anything to say would not have stopped me from saying something. But I've reformed. Well, I'm working on it.
0 Replies