need advice

Reb24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:44 am
i just found out that a friend of mine has type 2 diabeties, stage 3 hypertension and epstein bar. would like some info on these things and is it unusual for someone in their early thirtys late twentys to have all of these conditions? are these all very manageable with medication?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 812 • Replies: 13
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:55 am
Type 2 diabetes and hypertension can both be related to, and sometimes controlled by, diet. Is your friend significantly overweight? Medications might certainly be used for hypertension and the diabetes, depending on the severity.

EBV is a virus unrelated to either of the other two conditions and is capable of becoming chronic in adults. It is sometimes then referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or CFS. EBV is the same virus that causes mononucleosis in adolescents and is also sometimes called 'adult mono'. Antiviral meds are less effective than antibiotics and immunoglobulins are sometimes given to try to boost the immune system.

Hopefully your friend will remain under the care of a qualified medical provider, but the best advice I can offer is to make whatever drastic changes are necessary to his/her diet to help control the diabeties and hypertension and to help fight off the EBV.
0 Replies

Reb24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:11 am
thank you, i just worry about my friend and we have been talking and i am thinking about turning the relationship romantic and he just wanted me to know that he had this going on, which it did not scare me off but i was interested in learning more about them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:18 am
EBV can be passed on to you through close personal contact. The other two are not communicable in any way.
0 Replies

Reb24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:20 am
so i can catch that from him? is there a way to prevent that, we have not kissed or had sex yet but that does worry me???
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:28 am
Sure you can catch it. Think 'mono' in teens and 'the kissing disease'. The most common path of viral transfer of EBV is saliva. Kissing is the usual path, but shared eating utensils and drinking containers are also a means of transmission.
0 Replies

Reb24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
ok well i hate to say it but makes me think twice about the romantic part cause he said there is no cure for that, i know it makes him tired alot and to be honest it does scare me some now.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:43 am
Well, you might already have antibodies to EBV from an early childhood exposure and then would not be at risk of an acute illness because your preexisting antibodies would fight off the virus.

Has he been diagnosed as chronic? With or without active infection? The only way to find out if you have antibodies is to have a blood test. It might be worth it if this guy is a great catch.
0 Replies

Reb24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:50 am
yeah he is and as soon as i posted that i thought i just can't let him go so i am gonna look into it more and talk with my doctor about it. he had been very tired and feeling bad and went to his doc who said that was the cause and that it is something he will have to live with. thank you for telling me about the blood test, i will look into that
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
Good idea, just make sure you tell him the whole story so he knows that you're looking for evidence of immunity, not evidence of infection.
0 Replies

Reb24

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:11 am
thank you so much, you helped me lots! have a great day : )
0 Replies

peeping

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 02:47 pm
Do you have a regular menstural cycle, if not, look into PCOS, poly cystic ovarian syndrome. A few of the symptoms described fall into this category.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:23 pm
Hello peeping, welcome to A2K.

The friend described in this thread is a male. Or, are you thinking of Reb24's other thread?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79691
0 Replies

peeping

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 09:28 am
Yes
Responding to Reb24's previous thread regarding her weight gain, medication, etc.
0 Replies