cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:18 pm
My wife purchased a Australian wine with those plastic/composite corks. There was nothing in the bottle that needed to be saved. LOL One taste, and YUCK! c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 05:39 pm
The wine c.i., not the cork, lol. Sometimes it's corked, sometimes it just sucks.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:57 am
Rolling Eyes Cav, do you know what happened to my original post on this subject? Thanks.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 08:59 am
Here is your URL dov, to your original post. You can copy and paste it here if you want.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7965&highlight=
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 03:12 am
Dear cav, I ahve a problem with my boss, it's more a philosophy problem about when, why, and which wine, one should decanter.

My boss says to our guests that every wine should be decantered, because it would help a "weaker" wine getting stronger.

I say that there is no need to decanter a ready-to-drink a 2000 Teruzzi&Puthod Peperino, because the creator of the wine has administered the aging in such a way that the this here drop is excellent NOW, and doesn't need any "help" whatsoever.

Now, what is your point on this? If I'm wrong thrash me, if I'm right, say so! lol
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 03:36 am
Well bigidce, your boss is way off on this one...The only reasons to decant are to soften tannins, get rid of sediment, and for presentaition. Hence, decanting is really only necessary for old reds and vintage port. If you wish to decant a young red just because the decanter looks pretty, just pour it right in. There is no need to go through the whole decanting "ritual."
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:18 am
Thank you, cav!I don't want to be a know-it-all, but I was pretty sure 'bout it! It's more for show, if you ask me!

BTW, I'll be having panseared Indian Ocean tuna tonight, lovely deepred color, got any suggestions what to drink? Gonna have a nice salad and garlic bread with the fish...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:56 am
I might go with a light red, slightly chilled, such as a Beaujolais, or a good Gamay (same grape as Beauj.) or a gutsy Sauvignon Blanc.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:57 am
We will have a 2001 Chablis, no fancy stuff, but good...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 02:01 pm
That'll do, dice.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 06:50 am
It did!

see if I can find a neat sicilian rosato or Bardolino chiaretto, had one once, awesome... A nice strawberry bouquet, dry, almost crispy to the taste!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:02 am
Hey dice, when the weather here gets warm, we drink a lot of roses, (we never use the term 'blush' in this house, lol)....in the last few years, we have found the ones from Italy and Niagara better than the ones from France. Good choices!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:10 am
Never had a wine from niagara, we don't get many of those here. Prolly 'cause the supply isn't as big as the Italian! My favorite winemaker in Italy!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:34 am
If you're gonna drink pink wine, make sure it's gray. As in "vin gris". At least it'll be mostly dry, not sweet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:45 am
Ever made any dandelion wine? Hmmmm. I heard it through the grapevine that someone is having a wedding anniversary this Friday. Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:54 am
cjhsa, we never drink sweet pink wine...heaven forbid...and we do like the Vin Gris de Cigare, just a bit pricey up here.

Letty, not too many dandelions growing on my balcony, so I think I will pass Wink

Dice, Niagara's biggest exports are Icewines. Unfortunately, not a lot of the great dry wines make it overseas. Now we do make world-class Icewine...don't get me wrong...Smile
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:34 pm
Hiya!!

Nice topic Cav!! Very Happy

BigDice, In a former job I was the wine buyer for a posh-posh Italian joint here in Boston. I did a big list of exclusively Italian wines,..I really love them!! Very Happy

I think that my favorite of the Southern Italian Roses is the Regaleali Rosato,..perfect for sitting and sipping outside on a hot summer night , and CHEAP!!(I Think I need to order some for the house,...mmmmm!)

One of the white wines I really loved was a chardonnay blend from Bava,.I think they called it Alteserre,..it was beautiful ! Very Happy

I like the wines from Teruzzi e Puthod too,..we used to sell out of their Vernaccia and Terre de Tufi.

Cav- You mentioned good sauvignon blanc, which are your favorites?
There's an Italian that I really like from Terlano, it's called Quarz,..have you had it?

Just on an Italian Wine rant right now,..I love wines from all over!! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:05 pm
Jerry! Haven't had the Terlano, not even sure if anyone imports it...but a good Sauvignon from Italy would be something to try...on the varietal character/flavour for your buck scale, a current fave is the J. Bouchon Chilean Sauvignon. He is one of these Frenchie winemakers who opened up shop in Chile. Great gooseberry, cat piss quality, great concentration, and under $10 a bottle.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 08:41 pm
Thanks Cav!, Will try the Bouchon,..seen it, but haven't tasted it,...yet! Very Happy

Yeah, the thought of a good Italian Sauvignon Blanc scared me too Laughing

But I really liked the terlano,..I think the importer is DuFour.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 09:00 pm
Jerry, we put it into a blind tasting, and most of the folks there, all professionals, preferred it to a New Zealand that was double the price. Mind you, New Zealand has been "dumbing down" their Sauvignons lately....just went to the trade tasting, and I am not thrilled with the new world style that is creeping in to what were brilliant wines....
0 Replies