Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 04:34 pm
If anyone has any questions regarding wine, how to taste wine, or just general inquiries, post them here, and cav will try to help. Cheers!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,178 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:11 am
Hey, cav. I have an unopened bottle of White Star Moet and Chandon champagne. It has been refrigerated since last New Year's Eve. I have two questions:

One, should it be kept cool?
How does it compare to less expensive champagnes?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:20 am
Moet is a very nice Champagne, the most popular brand in the world, I think. Refrigerators are not necessarily kind to wine, due to the vibrations of the motor. I would say invent an occasion and open it up. We drink a lot of sparkling wines over Champagne for economic reasons. Some have a lot of charm, like Seaview and Banrock Station from Australia, and many of the Spanish Cavas, Segura Viudas, the regular and the more expensive 'Aria' are nice. The thing with real Champagne is that it has a distinct quality a 'terroir', that comes from the chalky soil the grapes are grown in. Also, each Champagne house has a distinct style, so in the end, there are good substitutes for Champagne, but there is also nothing like it in the world.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:34 am
Thanks, cav. I was a champagne freak for a bit. I'm not certain what happened, but I haven't had a glass of the bubbly for some time. Perhaps I should invent an occasion. Let's see. How about this? I woke up this morning. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:41 am
As good a reason as any, I say. Adding orange juice not only makes it a Mimosa, but also official breakfast food Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 09:55 am
Hi Cav, I have a bottle of 99 Boones Strawberry Hill. Is it better chilled, or room temp?

You have any good Sangria recipies?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:02 am
I think the Boone's is probably best served alley temperature, and Sangria is best enjoyed in Spain, because there is nothing like the sound of snickering Spanish waiters. Also, make sure to only drink when you are awake. Hope that helps, Slappy.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 11:54 am
Boones is best accompanied by a brown paper bag.

Sangria is delicious. I could live off that stuff. There's some places here in Chowdah-town that have good Sangria. I've made it before with Rojia, orange juice, triple sec, brandy, and orange slices.

I prefer to drink a drink every 10 minutes when awake, then one every 5 minutes when passed out.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 12:27 pm
Actually, I like a god Sangria in the summer, just hard to find sometimes. Rioja is a nice choice, the cheap Canadian plonk they use in some of our lesser establishments here is not.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:13 pm
I used to drink Sangria in Madeira (and everything else). Also in the Canary Islands (Lanzarote). Very tasty. Any favorites or not a favorite?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:29 pm
Have you tried two buck Chuck?
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:34 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Have you tried two buck Chuck?

cjhsa-- Are you pulling my leg? Can you see how long that leg is? I may be getting a little skeptical. By the how long is a chinaman.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:36 pm
By the way how long is a Chinaman.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:38 pm
What? I'm talking about Charles Shaw wines - aka Two Buck Chuck.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 02:41 pm
Forgive me. Never heard of it. What a name. I'll try it. In the words of a famous actor "What have they got that I ain't got?" "Courage!"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 03:23 pm
Article on Two Buck Chuck
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 04:27 pm
Dammit, the trader joe's in my pathetic dry town doesn't sell it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:41 pm
Hmm, sounds a bit like Anna Nicole Smith, tarted up trash with no place to go....let me work this out if they bring this Chuck to Ontario: okay, adding import tax, exhange rate, government tax...comes to about $23 CDN, and would probably only be availible in Vintages 'boutique' stores Razz
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:53 pm
Ha! Ha! Ha! Sangria

Sangria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Site comlete with recipes :

http://wine.about.com/library/types/bl_sangria.htm?once=true&

From its humble roots in Spain, Sangria has grown to become a popular, refreshing party drink around the world. Every restaurant has its own recipe - typically a mix of wine, brandy and fresh fruits, served over ice. It's one of the most individualistic drinks on the market. Don't just buy a mix at the store - have fun and create your own! Sangria's appeal is all about taking your favorite red wine, your favorite fruits, and experimenting with them.

Sangria is a red wine punch, although it can also be made with white wine - it is then known as 'Sangria Blanco'. Sangria was originally created in Spain with Rioja and other Spanish reds. Soon, however, the Cava-producing area adopted a sparkling white version. In the south of Spain Sangria is called zurra, and is created with peach or nectarine.

Sangria is typically created from red wine, fruit juices, soda water, fruit and sometimes brandy. When making your own Sangria, use a good quality red wine, and be sure to let it chill overnight. Use Rioja to get the authentic Spanish flavor, but definitely choose something you like - you're the one drinking it! In the morning, pour into a pitcher full of ice cubes, garnish with fresh fruit, and enjoy.

Here's the glass that Riedel recommends for Sangria. It's relatively inexpensive, and is also great for those other young and light reds - Gamay, Bardolino, Beaujolais Nouveau, Dolcetto, Freisa, Grignolino, Lagrein and Lambrusco. Sangria's best served chilled, and goes well with just about anything!

Be sure to check out our Recommended cheeses and appetizers to go with Sangria. Want to trade Sangria recipes? This thread has recipes entered by die-hard sangria fans, and you can add in your own!

Regional Sangrias

Italian Restaurant Sangria
Mexican Sangria
Sangrita - Tequila and Tomato Juice
Fruity Sangrias

Cranberry-Orange Sangria
Fruity Sangria
Kiwi Sangria
Lemon Sangria
Mango Sangria
Orange Sangria
Peach Sangria
Pear Sangria
Pineapple Sangria
Flavorful Sangrias

Basic Sangria Recipe
Brenda's Sangria Recipe
Cognac Sangria Recipe
Hot-Sauce Sangria
Jay's Secret Sangria Recipe - for large parties
Sangria with Whatever's Around
Stacey's Sangria Recipe with Cinnamon red-hots
White Sangria
Sangrias Around About.Com

Cocktail Guide's Sangria Recipe
Sangria Caliente
Fruity Sangria
Cranberry Sangria
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:57 pm
And here I was thinking that 'Sangria Blanco' was Spanish for "we're out of red..." I have those glasses, along with a near complete set of Riedel crystal...not the really fancy stuff, just the middle line Vinum series. The way this thread is going, I doubt if anyone wants to have a proper discussion about glassware and how it affects wine tasting Rolling Eyes Lemme know if ya do...I still don't mind the joking around Razz
0 Replies