Politics joins scientists at AIDS meeting

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:50 pm
link

all in all, an interesting article

this was what worried me

Quote:
The groups are pushing for HIV and AIDS strategies based solely on scientific evidence, defined as "rigorously designed, implemented and evaluated studies and programs."

"Too often, for ideological and political reasons, strategies with no proven efficacy have been promoted instead of those that are known to work," says a caucus briefing memo.

The thought of our health being compromised for the benefit of anyone's political/ideological beliefs is frightening.

I'm not surprised that it happens (I had to re-edit one of my scientifically-based reports for political reasons close to 30 years ago), just marvelling that we don't get more upset about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:46 pm
I'm terribly upset about it.

It's come up in several conversations here -- about the HPV vaccine struggle, about the nascent (?) (not clear how big of a deal it actually is/ will be) anti-birth-control movement, etc., etc.

Also just the general anti-science bias shown by Bush (not just medicine, not just reproductive rights -- also environmental stuff, etc., etc.)

That said, the more noise and upset, the better.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:40 am
To hell with our health -- to deny people in less fortunate nations access to reproductive health counseling and/or products and/or services for reasons of smug moralizing/pandering is, well, the work of evil-doers...
0 Replies