Teach Me the Basics of Indian Cooking

McTag

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 12:56 am
Mame wrote:
I'm having trouble finding a Dum Aloo recipe that my local Handi restaurant makes and wonder if any of you experts knows how to make it.

First of all, the potatoes are stuffed with minced onion, nuts, and a fruit (maybe a few raisins)...

Then they're cooked in a cashew curry sauce.

I was wondering if they'd cook the potatoes part way, then open and hollow them out and then glue them back together.

Does anyone know? I'd love to serve these.

Thanks in advance.

That sounds very good. I bet if you asked at the restaurant, they'd be pleased to tell you.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 02:35 am
http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/kashmir2.html will tell you too!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 09:43 am
Clary wrote:

Thank you! That sounds just like it... I'll make it some time and let you know how it went.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:12 pm
Many thanks sakhi, for putting me onto
http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/72467.asp

I made the Gulab Jamun yesterday and it wasÂ… well great!
I added only the chopped almonds (the Gulab Jamun I had before contained none of the optional ingredients). I shared it with some friends - who honestly, fought over the last of it!
Hope it goes as well on Saturday!! And thanks everyone for your help.

Anyway, the Gulab Jamun was so good - I have to recommend it. Here's the recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup dry milk powder
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter), melted
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 cup warm milk
* 1 tablespoon chopped almonds (optional)
* 1 tablespoon chopped pistachio nuts (optional)
* 1 tablespoon golden raisins (optional)
* 1 pinch ground cardamom
* 1 quart vegetable oil for deep frying
* 1 1/4 cups white sugar
* 7 fluid ounces water
* 1 teaspoon rose water
* 1 pinch ground cardamom

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, stir together the milk powder, flour, baking powder, and cardamom. Stir in the almonds, pistachios and golden raisins. Mix in the melted ghee, then pour in the milk, and continue to mix until well blended. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, stir together the sugar, water, rose water and a pinch of cardamom. Bring to a boil, and simmer for just a minute. Set aside.
3. Fill a large heavy skillet halfway with oil. Heat over medium heat for at least 5 minutes. Knead the dough, and form into about 20 small balls. Reduce the heat of the oil to low, and fry the balls in one or two batches. After about 5 minutes, they will start to float, and expand to twice their original size, but the color will not change much. After the jamun float, increase the heat to medium, and turn them frequently until light golden. Remove from the oil to paper towels using a slotted spoon, and allow to cool. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool slightly.
4. Place the balls into the skillet with the syrup. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, squeezing them gently to soak up the syrup. Serve immediately, or chill.

(It's really good hot)

I also made the coriander rice, which I know is going to be one of my personal favourites from now on. My only problem seems to be getting hold of good quality, fresh coriander (I would grow it myself if I could - but unlike the other herbs that I seem to be able to keep alive - the coriander always dies on me Sad

Anyway, thanks for all the help - Clary can I pm you about the book?

peace.
Endy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:16 pm
That sounds very good, Endy!
I'll give it a try the next time I have to impress guests!

You used the ghee?
I find it a bit heavy & over-powering.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:48 pm
Endy, you can probably grow it there seasonally... (just guessing, I haven't looked it up...) and probably keep it going for a bit inside. We always have fresh coriander at our markets, but I'm from California and the southwest, where it is used a lot. But I bet it is there too. I think you could hunt around at different markets, especially if you're near or in London.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:21 pm
I'm writing this from just outside Dartmoor in the west-country.
My local village is 100% English white.
Believe me - it's clotted cream, potatoes and meat down here, or nothing.
(No offence to any Devonians out there, but I am out in the middle of nowhere).

I live some of my life in London - where I grew up. But this place is where I want to be right now. It's a bit run down, but at least it has some garden and there's peace and quiet. I am asking around about the coriander - and I won't repeat some of the replies I've had locally when I've enquired if anyone's got any-
"Nothing wrong with a good bit of sage and onion" - has been one piece of advice!

Oh yeah, the ghee
Well, I tend to use half ghee, half oil - as I always do when I'm making chapatis.
I'm making a Dal on Saturday - but not too oily - and again, using half ghee, half oil. (I don't make the ghee myself - I buy it tinned)

I tend to use either sunflower or olive oil. It's probably not 'correct' flavour wise, but I mostly cook Mediterranean food, or simply vegetables and rice (I eat a hell of a lot of Basmati rice) - it's quick and easy.

I've never really talked about what I cook and eat before...
Man I could talk about this all day!

Beats politics
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:51 pm
ENDYMION wrote:
Beats politics

Sure does! A lot saner! Very Happy

You could probably grow your own coriander from seed, you know, Endy. In one of those clear plastic, mini-hot house teepee construction thingies you can buy at gardening places. All they need is a warm, sunny, sheltered spot.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:53 pm
ENDYMION wrote:

I've never really talked about what I cook and eat before...
Man I could talk about this all day!

Beats politics

Doesn't everything - but especially food!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:55 pm
oh yeah

well, for me it's food and ethnomusicology that could keep me nattering and nattering and nattering

i'm such a dweeb Confused
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:11 pm
Great to know that the jamuns came out fine Smile...

Half-ghee and half-oil sounds fine. I use only oil - like msolga, i find ghee too overpowering . But the authentic way is to use ghee. I use sunflower oil - the other option is groundnut/peanut oil - which is less healthy.

As for keeping the coriander leaves fresh, I buy coriander leaves (fresh ones) and store them in the frig for about 3 or 4 days. Stays fresh.
0 Replies