Religious divide: Shias taking over Middle East?

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:16 am
Reliogion and politics have been closely connection throughout the Middle Age until the early Modern Time.

And unfortunately, it seems to be similar now again.

http://i5.tinypic.com/20rlgdt.jpg
Source: The Observer, 23.07.2006, page 27

From The Observer's special report, online

Quote:
Ten or 15 per cent of the world's 1.4bn Muslims are Shia. The differences with the majority Sunnis are doctrinal, cultural and often political, and date back to a schism over who would succeed the Prophet Muhammad 1,400 years ago. For much of that time Shias were a persecuted minority, creating a powerful culture of martyrdom. However, there have been several episodes when the Shia, despite their smaller numbers, have been more dominant - most recently in 1979 when the Iranian revolution and the regime of the Ayatollah Khomeini inspired hundreds of millions of Muslims of all denominations worldwide, promoting a re-energised political Islam. For a short period, all eyes turned to the Shia. In the intervening years their star waned. Now, it is shining bright again.

Five major elements underpin the new Shia revival.
The first is the sudden militancy of Iran, which has been led aggressively onto the world stage by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ... ...
The second major element of 'the Shia comeback' is the new power of Iraq's Shia who, though 65 per cent of the population, had been ruled by the Sunni minority for at least 400 years ... ...
Yet the other elements of the new 'Shia revival' are less certain ... ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 3
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:31 am
Not to be picky, but the Iraq pie chart contradicts the Observer's text. The pie chart shows Iraq's Shiites to be 37% of the population, the text says they are 65%.

Other sources say that Iraq and Iran are the only two major countries with a Shiite majority, so I am inclined to go with the Observer's text, in this case.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 08:45 am
Ya, I agree. I think the Iraq pie chart was mislabeled.

Quote:
The majority of the population is Muslim (97%). There are more members of the Shiite sect (60-65%), mostly Arab, than there are of the Sunni sect (32-37%) which is made up of both Arabs and Kurds. Iraqi Christian comprise nearly 3% of the population, about 800,000 people. These are mostly ethnically Assyrian of the Chaldean rite. Bahá'ís, Mandaeans, Shabaks, and Yezidis also exist. Iraq used to have a significant Jewish minority but emigration has reduced this to a very small number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 09:44 am
That's a good article Walter. This is something I have seen for a while.

Quote:
Iran has profited enormously from chaos in Iraq. A recent report for the American Institute of Peace, a Washington think-tank, pointed out that Iran's leaders meet with Iraq's most influential personality, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who will not meet Americans. The report continued: 'Iraq's leaders visit to Tehran to negotiate on substantive issues such as border security and joint energy projects. Iranian businessmen are investing heavily in Iraq's overwhelmingly Shia southern regions, and Iran's intelligence operatives are embedded throughout Iraq's nascent security forces and within the Shia militias that have tremendous street power in the south, especially in the city of Basra.'

This is reinforced by British and US military sources in Iraq. 'The Iranians were there before we arrived,' said a British intelligence officer. 'I have no doubt they will be there when we leave.'

More evidence that Americans in Iraq are dying for Iran, not America.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c2/Shiyemap.jpg/800px-Shiyemap.jpg
0 Replies