A problem of age or ...?

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 02:50 am
Quote:
Rescued sailor 'risk to himself'

Ivan Rusch: Crewpersons wanted
A lone 78-year-old yachtsman has arrived at Plymouth after being rescued by emergency services for the fifth time in two weeks.
American sailor Ivan Rusch was branded a maritime risk by Brixham Coastguards, who co-ordinated the latest incident involving his 35-feet sloop Ornaerie off the south Devon coast.

The yachtsman's vessel has already required assistance from coastguards at Eastbourne, Portsmouth, Poole, Brixham and now, just down the coast at Salcombe.

Mr Rusch made it from Salcombe to Plymouth without mishap with the help of local sailor Martin Cox, who volunteered to crew for him.

Coastguards' concerns

Now Mr Rusch, who set off from California two years ago, is looking for a permanent shipmate to help him take his 35-foot wooden boat down to the Mediterranean.

It was Mr Cox who went to Mr Rusch's rescue when he overheard the coastguards talking by radio to the lone yachtsman.

Mr Rusch's boat was making no headway in the tidal race off Start Point.

Mr Rusch said: "He jumped on board and we got the mainsail up and got enough power to get round the point.

complete article:
Rescued sailor 'risk to himself'

IMHO, this shows more, how people relay wrongly on modern technics and believe, they can manage all, without knowing the 'fundamental principles!, namely "skilled craft"/"handcraft".

(This really is a personal opinion, strengthened by personal experience:
during an reserve exercise in the navy, the navigator was only relying on the electronic instruments [there was no GPS at that time]. And they weren't adjusted correctly.
You wont believe it: we 'got lost', five miles away from the coast.
[It took me one minute to calculate our position "by hand".])
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 2
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 02:56 am
Hence the well-known English prase describing confusion, "all at sea"

I was a deck-hand on the "Christian Radich" for all of ten minutes.
But she was tied up to the quay.

Wink
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 04:25 pm
I suspect that the 78-year-old sea dog may be fading mentally and facing fogs that are not simply metaphorical.

Notice, that he recognizes that the Coast Guard is annoyed, but he seems unworried that he's needed five rescues in the last fortnight.

I suspect that potential crew members sense his lack of skill.
0 Replies