Seeking Folks Who Attended Wayne State U.

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 04:00 pm
The Wayne State in Detroit, Michigan, not the university of the same name in Indiana.

I was in grad school there -- on and off -- from June, 1969 to some time in 1974.

I hung around with political types and poets and writers.

I am interested in anyone who might have known Dan Dozier, a law student who participated in the student strike (what a joke) following the bombing of Cambodia and Kent State.

More to the point, I am interested in anyone who knew poet Chris Fessler and that bunch, particularly his rather plump friend John (forgot last name) who was simultaneously working on a master's in English at WSU and a master's in film at a university in southern Cal and spent one semester on the west coast and the second in Detroit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 11
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:14 pm
Just posting here in case somebody notices this.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:27 pm
well this is the second time i've noticed it, but i still can't help you

i live less than a few hours from the university (canada, about 30 minutes from detroit), but have no knowledge of these folks
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:35 pm
Actually, when I was at WSU, we had more than a few Canadian students from Windsor and environs.

I guess I'm getting sentimental, but, I would love to hook up with some old Detroiters.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:37 pm
Why was the student strike a joke? Poor participation? Lack of energy?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:39 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Why was the student strike a joke? Poor participation? Lack of energy?

too much pot in the brownies
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:58 pm
Pom, I think it was Phoenix who recently noted for the rest of us a really good site for finding friends... or others. I might have saved the link. I found people through that site that I hadn't on other sites.

In my case, I'm not going to contact them, but it's kind of nice to continue/continuity. (The ones I might most want to contact i somewhat know about, and don't wish to disturb. But, when I've found about them online, it's been rewarding. And the one fellow I did talk to, rather by mistake while trying to reach another friend, made my day, as they say.)

My first absolutely serious love married the woman after me, no slouch herself, and they are still together forty years later, at least from a web commentary on him. From what I read online of his exploration in the mountains of the west of the US and subsequent writing, he is as interesting as before.

But I'll refrain from contacting. I was crushed at the time; he dropped me because I was Catholic, though at the far edge of my time in that.
As it happens, the woman he married was more suited re life outdoors, and who knows, perhaps intellectually and otherwise, and I don't begrudge.

Why don't you pm Phoenix, might be easier than doing an a2k search.

If it turns out I saved the link, I'll come back and post it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:02 pm
I'd like to see that link too, osso, and, by the way, I'm sorry about dumping you forty years ago, but that Catholic stuff was just too much for me at the time. If you would have quit the relentless fidgeting with your rosary we maybe could have worked it out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:07 pm
Nah, I was by then a beginning and working towards definite agnostic.. Ironic, that.

Wouldn't it be funny if you were him..
Nah. I don't think he married Gertrude..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:44 pm
Pssst, osso: I think, gustav killed Gertrude. He hasn't mentioned her
at all for quite some time now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:47 pm
I think you're right, CJ.... dum de dum dum....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
OK, all of you, that was really funny, and, something I needed after a rough week at school.

Why was the strike a joke? Because most of the undergraduates thought of it as a vacation. The politicos and grad students took it seriously, with the law students organizing a legal committee and the medical students keeping an eye on any injuries that might occur following imaginary clashes with police. The rest of us sat in an office and talked politics for a day or two.

Shows how small the minority of serious students was!
0 Replies