Ohio political candidates ignore test

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 06:51 am
The research organization Project Vote Smart said Tuesday nearly 90 percent of Ohio's 2006 gubernatorial, congressional or state legislative candidates failed to respond to a test that lets them answer questions about issues that are of concern to voters.

I actually would like such to happen everywhere: either you get the results - or you can act because you don't get them.

Report in today's The Columbus Dispatch (frontpage and page A4 of the print version):

Quote:
PROJECT VOTE SMART
Politicians mum, fear poll will backfire
By Jim Siegel and Cathy Candisky
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
http://i2.tinypic.com/20gdtvs.jpg

Results are available at the Vote smart website
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 489 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 07:26 am
Disappointed in Strickland. (And all of 'em, but he's supposed to be a good guy...)

I think this guy might have a point (and seems to be supported by the Tyack episode):

Quote:
Scott Borgemenke, chief of staff for House Speaker Jon A. Husted and a veteran campaign consultant, said surveys too often simplify complex issues and are "used for evil, not good."
"People want to say they're at home on the Internet looking at Project Vote Smart to decide who they're going to vote for state rep," Borgemenke said.
"Quite frankly, that is a fairy-tale world. They're using it so they can pull down whether you checked yes or no in a box and pay for a mail piece that says you're out of touch."

Dunno. I like to see that info out there.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:06 am
Forgot to paste the graphics:

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gfb7c.jpg
0 Replies