Birth order: That's so gay!

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:20 pm
An interesting sidebar in the July 10 issue of Time magazine discusses boy sibling birth order and homosexuality. Unfortunately I can't post the whole thing here as it is considered premium content so I'll just pull out a few snippets (typing errors mine):

Quote:
...Those that subscribe to the 3% (of the male population being gay) belive thay have documented and interesting wrinkle: among boys with one older (biological) brother the figure goes up to about 4%, two older brothers tick it up to 5%, and with three or more, it tops out at about 6%. What nobody could anser is, Why?

<snip>

Quote:
Bogaert believe the answer may lie in the mother's immune system. Mothers' bodies naturally recognize boy fetuses as slightly more alien than girl fetuses, since all of us carry sex-specific proteins in our bloodstreams. Some mothers may develop antibodies to those male proteins. In subsequent boy pregnancies, Bogaert theorizes, the antibodies may cross the placenta na affect regions of the fetal brain that determine sexual orientation.

Fascinating!

Of course, this doesn't do much to explain lesbians.

But if homosexuality turns out to be the result of some "different" gestational stew will it change anything at all?

Will even a few minds be changed?

Thank you for your reply!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 619 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:32 pm
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060701/fob1.asp

It's led to some interesting discussions at work recently.

Quote:
The number of biological older brothers correlated with the likelihood of a man being homosexual, regardless of the amount of time spent with those siblings during childhood, Bogaert says. No other sibling characteristic, such as number of older sisters, displayed a link to male sexual orientation.

By accounting for potential psychological effects of having older brothers, Bogaert's data "strengthen the notion that the common denominator between biological brothers, the mother, provides a prenatal environment that fosters homosexuality in her younger sons," say neuroscientist S. Marc Breedlove of Michigan State University in East Lansing and his coworkers in a comment to be published with the new report.

The release of maternal antibodies that boost a boy's probability of becoming gay is a provocative but untested hypothesis, Breedlove and his coworkers note.

It makes sense, though, in light of previous failures to find any older-sibling influences on female homosexuality, they say.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:35 pm
Quote:
Bogaert reports that the age of the mother also appears related to the sexual orientation of her sons, "with homosexual men's mothers being significantly younger than the mothers of heterosexual men".

from

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_1672798.htm

and the study abstract

here

and the full article, here. I don't think it'll be free online for too long, as archived articles seem to require $
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 06:51 pm
Wow, thanks eBeth. I'm looking forward to reading those links.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:05 am
Welllllll then.......

I guess I have my answer about whether it will change any minds....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
I know we've discussed this here before... this came up when I searched, though I don't think it's what I'm thinking of:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1906403#1906403

Cumulatively (birth order stuff plus other evidence) it did seem to help change at least one person's mind, on that thread.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:59 am
I have read a bit about the theories regarding biology and gayness but this is the first time I have seen any link to birth order.

I thought it was very interesting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:02 am
It definitely is.

Read the links, thanks.

I look forward to finding out more of the mechanisms involved -- the whys of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:03 am
So . . . like . . . i had two older brothers.

Does that mean that i'm gay 6% of the time?

Maybe it's only when i'm asleep, and i just haven't noticed yet.
0 Replies