40 years of bad bad road for the lunatic fringe.

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 01:26 pm
For the past 40 years the lunatic christian right has had an agenda, 1. erase Roe v Wade 2. return prayer to the classroom and 3. prevent gay rights.
The lunatics continue to lose on all points over and over again.

WASHINGTON - The House on Tuesday rejected a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, ending for another year a congressional debate that supporters of the ban hope will still reverberate in this fall's election.

The 236-187 vote for the proposal to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman was 47 short of the two-thirds majority needed to advance a constitutional amendment. It followed six weeks after the Senate also decisively defeated the amendment, a top priority of social conservatives. The amendment needed the yes votes of two-thirds of those voting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,624 • Replies: 68
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 01:30 pm
The GOP base is where all this energy lies.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 01:40 pm
Lunatic Fringe
Graham Parker

I want to thank you for sticking my neck out
I know I'll be there when they let the cranks out
I won't be culpable, got too much to answer for ooo oooh
My heart is in a can, my neck is in your hands
You wanted a family man but I'm not relating
I'll never be arranged I'd rather be estranged, I don't care, I don't care

Second cousin to the poor relation,
holding last week's ticket in this week's train station
Relegated to the third division on the lunatic fringe

We're not on any team not after what I've seen
All that back slapping makes me want to scream
I'll just be feeling low, waiting for the final whistle to blow oo oo ooh
They're beating metal, outside this window
I'm getting a kick out of every hammer blow
I know I can't escape it until I've been reshapen

I'm on the I'm on the...

They're pumping iron down in the village
They're locking lions up in the zoo
I don't know what I'm thinking I don't know where I'm sinking
Down there, down there

On the lunatic fringe, On the lunatic fringe, On the lunatic fringe,
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 01:53 pm
Over the past week or so, high courts have upheld the ban on gay marriage in Nebraska, New York and Georgia. The fact that Congress failed to get a constitutional amendment doesn't bother me that much. Always knew it was a long shot.

Supreme Court appears to be moving towards our position on "Roe v. Wade" and while not yet demonstrated, I wouldn't be surprised by a rightward movement toward our position on prayer in schools.

As a proud member of that so-called "lunatic fringe" I'm perfectly happy where we are in terms of institutionalizing our social agenda.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
slkshock7 wrote:
Over the past week or so, high courts have upheld the ban on gay marriage in Nebraska, New York and Georgia. The fact that Congress failed to get a constitutional amendment doesn't bother me that much. Always knew it was a long shot.

Supreme Court appears to be moving towards our position on "Roe v. Wade" and while not yet demonstrated, I wouldn't be surprised by a rightward movement toward our position on prayer in schools.

As a proud member of that so-called "lunatic fringe" I'm perfectly happy where we are in terms of institutionalizing our social agenda.

groovy, keep on keeping on and still losing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:23 am
Not a very good 40-years for the looney left either.

Kennedy - Womanizer, got shot
Johnson - Just an idiot
Carter - Once a peanut farmer, always a peanut farmer
Clinton - Womanizer, lucky his wife didn't shoot him
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:32 am
cjhsa wrote:
Not a very good 40-years for the looney left either.

Kennedy - Womanizer, got shot
Johnson - Just an idiot
Carter - Once a peanut farmer, always a peanut farmer
Clinton - Womanizer, lucky his wife didn't shoot him
\

Kennedy got the missles out of cuba
Johnson got the right of african americans to be real people
Carter the man of integrity following Nixon
Clinton respected by th world even thought he was a republican at heart.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:56 am
Spn, spin, spin, spin.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:58 am
dyslexia wrote:
Johnson got the right of african americans to be real people

So african americans were not "real people" before Johnson?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2006 02:50 pm
Untill Johnson they werent treated as real people, especially in the south.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:15 am
Add another win in the conservative column...Wisconsin upholds gay marriage ban...

source
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:24 am
Yeah...

...Republicans and conservatives want to keep government out of our personal lives.

The check is in the mail.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 04:18 pm
Actually, I support gay marriage. They deserve the same **** everyone else has to deal with.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:44 pm
I was in the South prior to Brown Vs Board of Education. Rabal is right.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:46 pm
Sorry - that's Rabel, not Rabal
0 Replies

alexis2k

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Spn, spin, spin, spin.

Are all the a2k right-wingers this articulate?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:22 pm
Re: 40 years of bad bad road for the lunatic fringe.
dyslexia wrote:
For the past 40 years the lunatic christian right has had an agenda, 1. erase Roe v Wade 2. return prayer to the classroom and 3. prevent gay rights.
The lunatics continue to lose on all points over and over again.

WASHINGTON - The House on Tuesday rejected a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, ending for another year a congressional debate that supporters of the ban hope will still reverberate in this fall's election.

The 236-187 vote for the proposal to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman was 47 short of the two-thirds majority needed to advance a constitutional amendment. It followed six weeks after the Senate also decisively defeated the amendment, a top priority of social conservatives. The amendment needed the yes votes of two-thirds of those voting.

Naturally, those who disagree with you are lunatics. Yes, you're enlightened - just ask you.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:49 pm
How does a man and man or woman and a women marrying each other destroy the sanctity of marriage?

Does gay marriage sneak into the bedrooms of married heterosexuals and cause some sort of rampant erectile dysfunction or vaginitis amongst heterosexuals?

Having the power does not mean you have the right to control the way other people live their lives.

Why is it that those who are such advocates of small government and getting the government out of their economic concerns are those most likey to call upon the government to enfore a moral code based upon fairy tales rooted in the late Neolithic Period of human history.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:51 pm
kuvasz wrote:
How does a man and man or woman and a women marrying each other destroy the sanctity of marriage?

Does gay marriage sneak into the bedrooms of married heterosexuals and cause some sort of rampant erectile dysfunction or vaginitis amongst heterosexuals?

Having the power does not mean you have the right to control the way other people live their lives.

Why is it that those who are such advocates of small government and getting the government out of their economic concerns are those most likey to call upon the government to enfore a moral code based upon fairy tales rooted in the late Neolithic Period of human history.

Plus every other time in history and location on Earth......

....since there has never been a place or time where the government legally recognized gay marriage.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:08 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

Plus every other time in history and location on Earth......

....since there has never been a place or time where the government legally recognized gay marriage.

There was also a time when the whole world thought that sailing to edge of the flat earth, you would fall off and be eaten by monsters.
Personally, I just don't see how John and Jack being legally married is going to have any effect what so ever on the sanctity of my marriage or any other good marriage for that matter.
My theory is that I will live my life, and they can live theirs, and if God is unhappy about any of it, then He will judge when the time comes. That is his gig, not mine.
0 Replies