Why the Left Is Furious at Lieberman; Iraq is only a part

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 09:33 am
I don't consider it treasonous, exactly, but I long ago wrote him off as a friend.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:14 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
It's one thing for Lieberman to be independent minded, quite another if his actions are not what Democrats agree with and so can't in good conscience vote for. What's the big deal?

Good point, except it seems that in some circles the argument is made that Lieberman is somehow guilty of betrayal for not more closely adhering to the party line.

It seems to be that it is far more admirable to not vote for a candidate of your party because he doesn't represent your way of thinking, then to vote for him, in spite of his positions, because he is a member of your party.

Personally, I hope he does lose the primary battle. The polls seem to suggest that he will win as an independent, and as a independent in the Senate, he should not be constrained by allegiance to his former party.

I think perhaps if "the party line" is that Bush should not have gone to war in Iraq without legitimate cause, and Lieberman, for whatever reasons which make sense to himself continues to support Bush, even saying he's doing a good job in Iraq, then perhaps he has crossed a line most democrats won't cross and perhaps he should think about what he's doing for his constituents. Of course, that's jmo...

There is no question that he has crossed a line which most Democrats won't cross. The question is whether or not this signifies that he has betrayed his party. If it does, then surely Lincoln Chaffee of RI is a traitor to the Republican party. Perhaps he and Lieberman should trade party affiliations.

I'm not sure why Lieberman's support of the war should prompt him to consider "what he's doing for his constituents." Has anyone suggested that this position has somehow made him a less than effective representative of the people of Connecticut? From a strictly political standpoint, wouldn't siding with the policies of the party in power tend to help him more than hurt him?

In any case, if his constituents do not feel that he is ably representing their interests, they will reject him come election day. The partisans who vote in party primaries (Dem and Repub) do not necessarily represent the will of the people of their state. Nothing wrong with Democrats not wanting Lieberman to run as a Democrat, but having abandoned him, it would be a bit much to hear complaints from his party about him running as an independent.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Lieberman is already a non Democrat by his actions. Exactly what loss are we as Democrats to suffer if he leaves the party?

If he runs as an independent and wins, your party will have lost one Democratic seat in the Senate. Notwithstanding his views on Iraq, Lieberman has a pretty consistent voting record on issues like abortion, civil rights and the environment, and it is consistent with the party line.

Of any Senator, I think Lieberman is among the least likely to vote against a Democratic party backed issue just because the Democrats abandoned him, but there are numerous strictly political actions taken in congress and an independent Lieberman would not feel constrained to line up with Democrats just because he was a member of the party.

Perhaps most significantly, your party will have lost a nationally known, and well respected moderate figure which will assist the Republican party in making the case that the Democratic Party has veered sharply to the left.

None of these losses are likely to be fatal to your party, and may not even be bruising, but there will be a loss. Whatever the loss, Democrats may think it well worth it, to purify the party ideologically.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:56 pm
The Republicans shed an embarrassment like Tom Delay for their reasons. Democrats do it for their reasons. Such is life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:00 pm
Besides, if Lieberman votes pro choice now, what makes anyone think he will go the other way in the future?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:03 pm
Fin d'Abuzz wrote:
but having abandoned him, it would be a bit much to hear complaints from his party about him running as an independent.

Baloney. The only reason Lieberman is a Senator right now is that the Democratic Party provided the rungs of the ladder for him to move up one step at a time.

He knew the deal when he ran for office-even incumbents have to face a party primary.

If Lieberman can't win that primary, then he should do what everyone else who loses a party primary should do-support the winner, and then look for another office to run for.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 05:05 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Fin d'Abuzz wrote:
but having abandoned him, it would be a bit much to hear complaints from his party about him running as an independent.

Baloney. The only reason Lieberman is a Senator right now is that the Democratic Party provided the rungs of the ladder for him to move up one step at a time.

He knew the deal when he ran for office-even incumbents have to face a party primary.

If Lieberman can't win that primary, then he should do what everyone else who loses a party primary should do-support the winner, and then look for another office to run for.

I agree with this also, even if it can't be enforced.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:34 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
princesspupule wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
It's one thing for Lieberman to be independent minded, quite another if his actions are not what Democrats agree with and so can't in good conscience vote for. What's the big deal?

Good point, except it seems that in some circles the argument is made that Lieberman is somehow guilty of betrayal for not more closely adhering to the party line.

It seems to be that it is far more admirable to not vote for a candidate of your party because he doesn't represent your way of thinking, then to vote for him, in spite of his positions, because he is a member of your party.

Personally, I hope he does lose the primary battle. The polls seem to suggest that he will win as an independent, and as a independent in the Senate, he should not be constrained by allegiance to his former party.

I think perhaps if "the party line" is that Bush should not have gone to war in Iraq without legitimate cause, and Lieberman, for whatever reasons which make sense to himself continues to support Bush, even saying he's doing a good job in Iraq, then perhaps he has crossed a line most democrats won't cross and perhaps he should think about what he's doing for his constituents. Of course, that's jmo...

There is no question that he has crossed a line which most Democrats won't cross. The question is whether or not this signifies that he has betrayed his party. If it does, then surely Lincoln Chaffee of RI is a traitor to the Republican party. Perhaps he and Lieberman should trade party affiliations.

I'm not sure why Lieberman's support of the war should prompt him to consider "what he's doing for his constituents." Has anyone suggested that this position has somehow made him a less than effective representative of the people of Connecticut? From a strictly political standpoint, wouldn't siding with the policies of the party in power tend to help him more than hurt him?

In any case, if his constituents do not feel that he is ably representing their interests, they will reject him come election day. The partisans who vote in party primaries (Dem and Repub) do not necessarily represent the will of the people of their state. Nothing wrong with Democrats not wanting Lieberman to run as a Democrat, but having abandoned him, it would be a bit much to hear complaints from his party about him running as an independent.

I think supporting Bush's efforts is bad enough, but didn't Lieberman go over-the-top and declare Bush was doing a good job by involving us in a war we shouldn't have started??? I feel that's betrayal. Now, of course, *I* am not one of his constituents, so I suppose I shouldn't speak for them, but I would've been, if he and Gore had worked a little harder (waited longer for an accurate vote count?) I think he ought to run as an independent, because from what I've read, the man doesn't think like a democrat...
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:04 pm
I am reliably informed that 48% of the voters in Connecticut label themselves as Independents. We shall see how this plays out on Aug. 8th. and, if necessary on Nov.7th.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:16 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Fin d'Abuzz wrote:

Is that Kelticwizard's Rule of Loyal Party Members?

In other words, let a minority of the electorate of your state determine whether or not you can represent that state, despite what the majority of the voters may want. Sounds like democracy to me!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:19 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The Republicans shed an embarrassment like Tom Delay for their reasons. Democrats do it for their reasons. Such is life.

Sure it is, but it's naive to suggest it has no ramifications.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:26 pm
It does have ramifications, and there is no way to avoid that. You have to weigh them and then vote your conscience.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:33 pm
princesspupule wrote:

I think supporting Bush's efforts is bad enough, but didn't Lieberman go over-the-top and declare Bush was doing a good job by involving us in a war we shouldn't have started??? I feel that's betrayal. Now, of course, *I* am not one of his constituents, so I suppose I shouldn't speak for them, but I would've been, if he and Gore had worked a little harder (waited longer for an accurate vote count?) I think he ought to run as an independent, because from what I've read, the man doesn't think like a democrat...

How does a Democrat think? There is only one way?

Is opposition to the war in Iraq now a litmus test for Democratic purity? Is it now Democratic doctrine that the US should never have started the Iraqi war? Is it a betrayal for a Democratic Senator to praise a Republican President?

Obviously Lieberman doesn't share your belief that the war in Iraq is one that we should not have started. Does this mean he should have resigned from the party?

Is there some sort of secret oath that Democrats take whereby they swear to never take a position which is contradictory to that of the party's leaders, and to never support a policy of a Republican President?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 08:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Besides, if Lieberman votes pro choice now, what makes anyone think he will go the other way in the future?

There's no reason to think he would. Reread what I wrote, I don't expect that Lieberman's becoming an independent will cost Democrats his vote on the majority of major issues.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 04:12 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
princesspupule wrote:

How does a Democrat think? There is only one way?

Is opposition to the war in Iraq now a litmus test for Democratic purity? Is it now Democratic doctrine that the US should never have started the Iraqi war? Is it a betrayal for a Democratic Senator to praise a Republican President?

Obviously Lieberman doesn't share your belief that the war in Iraq is one that we should not have started. Does this mean he should have resigned from the party?

Is there some sort of secret oath that Democrats take whereby they swear to never take a position which is contradictory to that of the party's leaders, and to never support a policy of a Republican President?

Should I go with political humor? http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/bldemocraticloyaltyquiz.htm or answer truthfully as a middle aged middle class card carrying democrat who happens to be a woman in Hawaii? (I'll go with #2, Finn...) There isn't one way for all democrats to feel, but there are some places where I think most democrats draw a line in the sand and refuse to cross, and the war in Iraq is one of those places. It was a smokescreen covering ulterior motives at best the way we entered into a war in Iraq, perhaps a criminal act at worse... Opposing it should be a litmus test, and accepting it ongoing means that we accept that we have control of a huge oil reserve AND we managed to maintain the dollar as the currency of trade rather than the euro, and it establishes military bases in the heart of the middle east. These 3 things are rather beneficial to the U.S., however they are illegally gained since Osama bin Laden wasn't affiliated w/Iraq the way the repubs said... Lieberman praising the president for actions taken on a wrongful premise are horrorific. Such praise shouldn't ever have happened, but that is jmo, and based as much upon personal ethical values as those I would imagine are shared by the majority of democrats... Obviously, Lieberman doesn;t share my beliefs. If he did, he would have already resigned from the democratic party.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
Lieberman's opposition seems to be from the radical left-wing Dems. The proof of this will be if he runs and wins as an independent.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 10:27 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Is that Kelticwizard's Rule of Loyal Party Members?

In other words, let a minority of the electorate of your state determine whether or not you can represent that state, despite what the majority of the voters may want. Sounds like democracy to me!

That "minority of the state" you refer to is the very party to whom Lieberman owes his entire political career.

Without the Democratic Party, nobody ever hears about Joe Lieberman, much less elects him Senator. Lieberman worked his way up the political ladder, each time with the endorsement and aid of the Democratic Party.

Each time Lieberman moved up, he had to face a primary. He defeated his opponents in those primaries, which is why he is Senator today.

One question: What about the people who Lieberman defeated in all those primaries? What did they do?

We all know what they did. They congratulated Lieberman on his primary win, supported him in the general election, then looked for another office to seek the Democratic nomination for.

Now, after winning all those primaries and getting the Democratic nomination for all those offices, Lieberman is faced with the possiblity of losing a primary. Does he do what all his primary opponents did and wish the victor well and support him?

No, he threatens to go and run on his own. After receiving all that financial and electoral support from the Democratic Party his whole political life.

Apparently, Lieberman thinks it's okay for somebody who loses to him to congratulate and support him in the general election, but the rules change when he is the one who loses.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:13 pm
What bothers me most is the "vote me in or I'll take my ball and go home with it" feeling of his announcement.

This whole fiasco is way, way below the senator's usual act.

I don't particularly like the guy or his politics...but he usually conducts himself in a more dignified manner. I feel embarrassment for him.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 03:24 pm
Sierra song wrote:

Lieberman's opposition seems to be from the radical left-wing Dems. The proof of this will be if he runs and wins as an independent.
END OF QUOTE
Exactly-

If Lieberman wins on Aug. 8th that will be a stinging defeat for the radical left wing Democrats.

If Liberman loses on Aug.8th, but wins as an Independent. that will be an even more humiliating defeat for the left wing Democrats.

Their only victory will be if they retire Lieberman for good.

an interesting letter appeared in Salon Magazine- see below:

This is a very important primary but for reasons that seem to escape the media.

The fact is Lieberman is far too liberal to be accepted in a great part of the United States. States that any Democratic candidate must win in order to be President. States that a Democratic candidate must win in order to reclaim the Senate. States that Democrats need to win in order to reclaim the House.

Lieberman losing the primary sends the message that those candidates who can win in such States are unwelcome in the Democratic Party, and this hurts Democrats more than anyone else.

Contrast this to how Republican leadership and members tend to vote. The Senate Republican leadership cares only about one qualification, that the person will vote for Republican leadership, because the party that controls the Senate and House has all the power.

When asked about would they endorse a pro-choice and pro Bush impeachment Senate candidate, they didn't hesitate to say yes, they'd fully support such a candidate. The reason? It serves them in the long run.

Connecticut is mostly made up of Independent voters, and Lieberman would win any three way race easily. While the Democrats there are free to vote for whom they chose, but let's be honest, if Lamont were running against Feingold, the same enthusiastic supporters would be screaming that Lamont is not only a political neophyte but that he's trying to buy an election using personal wealth.

The difference is many Democrats hate Lieberman, and they'll hate most any Democrat who can win in the Red States. This makes it much harder to find good Democratic candidates in those States and makes it much harder to win.

Often, Democrats are their own worse enemies. Trying to achieve purity, they squander the chance to achieve anything.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2006 05:23 pm
Nothing radical about wanting a Democrat to not be a stealth Republican.
0 Replies