maui ripper

possopo

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:38 am
in windsurfing, what is a local mauri ripper?

just a local sailor or does the expression refer to something more specific?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
As a non-surfer all I can tell you is that Maui is one of the major islands of the Hawaii archipelago. I would assume that the expression refers to a particular kind of wave that's common in Maui.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 02:47 am
all i know is that a "maui ripper" here is a person and very probably a windsurfer.

the problem lies in ripper, ripping. i don't what this word mean. could it be someone good, who shreds, talented...?

the verb ripping seems to be used quite often and i assume it means shredding. can someone second that, please?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
possopo wrote:
all i know is that a "maui ripper" here is a person and very probably a windsurfer.

the problem lies in ripper, ripping. i don't what this word mean. could it be someone good, who shreds, talented...?

the verb ripping seems to be used quite often and i assume it means shredding. can someone second that, please?

Although I can't state with absolute certainty for this particular situation, 'rip/shred' are common verbs to sports like surfing/windsurfing, skiing etc and they refer to someone really "destroying" a course/run/wave because of their prowess.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:00 am
Having been a windsurfer myself for more than fifteen years, I do agree with JTT.

Mauirippers is also a brand of sportswear for surfers...
0 Replies