Spelling

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
I'm just starting off in college and I'm already feeling inferior because of my spelling. Many time after taking lecture note, I'm wondering what I wrote because of my misspelling. I have begun adding new words to my vocabulary, but I find that if I don't use them in my writing then I tend to forget them, and have to learn them over again. I know that this is not going to be an easy nor fast process, but if anyone have any information about ways to make it more creative or exciting, please let me know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:59 am
Develop a life-long habit of reading.
0 Replies

NWIslander

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:58 pm
spelling
Using your computer's spellcheck is the first obvious answer that came to mind. But that doesn't always work with a language like English, since there are so many homonyms (read, reed, etc.). However, it might help; at least it would weed out the words that could NEVER be spelled that way in English.

Good luck in college!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 02:43 pm
Movingforward--

Unfortunately, a lot of life is essential drudgery.

I'm vowel deaf and Spell Check is my best friend.

Here is a link to www.Answers.com FAQ's. They have a more imaginative program than most Spell Check systems for establishing the spelling of a word when you're not sure of early letters.

http://www.answers.com/main/using_site.jsp#2

You deserve credit for zeroing in on a weakness and taking responsibility for correcting it. This is college-level maturity--even adult maturity.
0 Replies

movingforward

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 10:07 pm
Spelling
Thank you all for the advice. Reading has not been a huge part of my life, but if it will help then I'll do it.

I just started looking at the information about answer.com and I think this will be very useful and can't wait to download it. Thanks again

As you can see that writing is sometime an issue, I found a few subject - verb mistake in my original post.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:18 pm
spelling
Unfortunately, the sources of English words are so varied, that there is no consistency to our spelling. Mostly it's just memorizing memorizing memorizing.

Tycoon's suggestion is really good - with regular reading, words will sink into your mind, and you spelling errors should go down dramatically.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 03:20 pm
spelling
PS - You shouldn't feel inferior. Some people have a knack for correct spelling, with others it's a hard slog, but neither person is either inferior or superior.
0 Replies