Want to be a millionaire? Vote in Arizona!

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 06:15 am
Quote:
Would-be Arizona millionaires to gamble on voting

By Randal C. Archibold
New York Times News Service
Published July 17, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. -- To anyone who ever said, "I wouldn't vote for that bum for a million bucks," Arizona may be calling your bluff.

A proposal to award $1 million in every general election to one lucky resident simply for voting has qualified for the November ballot.
source and full report: Chicago Tribune

I've some ... scruples to combine an election with a lottery. Though the chances to win are better than gambling elsewhere.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,262 • Replies: 29
No top replies

okie

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
I don't feel like registering to read the whole article, Walter, but sounds like a pretty stupid idea. Playing the lotteries is pretty stupid to begin with, so If I am guessing correctly what this is, I'm not real thrilled with flushing all the stupids out there to get out of bed and vote on election day.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
Sorry, didn't notice that about registering.
Here's the report from the print version:

Quote:

By Randal C. Archibold

TUCSON, Ariz. -- To anyone who ever said, "I wouldn't vote for that bum for a million bucks," Arizona may be calling your bluff.

A proposal to award $1 million in every general election to one lucky resident simply for voting has qualified for the November ballot.

Mark Osterloh, a political gadfly who is behind the initiative, the Arizona Voter Reward Act, is promoting it with the slogan, "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Vote!" He collected 185,902 signatures of registered voters, far more than the 122,612 required, and last week the secretary of state certified the measure for the ballot this fall.

If the general election in 2004 is a guide, when more than 2 million people voted, the 1 in 2 million odds of winning the election lottery would be far better than the Powerball jackpot (currently about 1 in 146,107,962) but not nearly as great as dying from a lightning strike (1 in 55,928).

"People buy a lot of lottery tickets now," Osterloh said, "and the odds of winning this are much, much higher."

If some see the erosion of democracy in putting voting on the same plane as a scratch-and-win game, Osterloh sees the gimmick as the linchpin to improve voter turnout and get more people interested in politics.

In 2004, the year of a heated presidential election, 77 percent of registered voters cast ballots in Arizona, but in 2002--the year Osterloh, a Democrat, ran for governor in what might politely be called a dark-horse campaign--it was 56 percent. Primary election turnouts are much lower.

"Basically our government is elected by a small minority of citizens," said Osterloh, 53, a semiretired ophthalmologist who has helped write and campaign for various successful ballot initiatives.

Curtis Gans, director of the Center for the Study of the American Electorate in Washington, said the idea of a voter lottery had come up in other states, but he could not recall any moving forward with it. And he's glad.

"People should not go vote because they might win a lottery," Gans said. "We need to rekindle the religion of civic duty, and that is a hard job, but we should not make voting crassly commercial."

Editorial writers, bloggers and others have panned the idea as bribery and say it may draw people simply trying to cash in without studying candidates or issues.

"Bribing people to vote is a superficial approach that will have no beneficial outcome to the process, except to make some people feel good that the turnout numbers are higher," said an editorial in The Yuma Sun. "But higher numbers do not necessarily mean a better outcome."

The initiative calls for financing the award through unclaimed state lottery prize money, private donations and, if need be, state money. A spokeswoman for the state lottery commission said its unclaimed prize pot fluctuated, but it now stood at more than $1 million.

There also is a question of whether such a voter lottery is legal. Passage of the initiative would supersede a state law barring any exchange of a vote for money, legal experts agreed, but whether it would get around similar federal laws was a matter of debate.

Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat who will be on the November ballot as a candidate for re-election, has declined to take a position. The leaders of the state Senate and House, both Republicans, did not answer messages seeking comment.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:03 am
I say-why not?

It sounds like a fun way to add a little zest to Election Day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:21 am
I have mixed feelings.

I love the idea of encouraging voter turnout.

But if people are turning out merely for the chance at a million dollars, will they be making informed choices?

Trying to figure out what would make me feel better about it -- maybe some sort of test that has to be done to be eligible? Showing basic awareness of the candidates, their positions, etc.

Hmmm...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Here's the report from the print version:

Quote:

By Randal C. Archibold

Mark Osterloh, a political gadfly who is behind the initiative, the Arizona Voter Reward Act, is promoting it with the slogan, "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Vote!" ........

In 2004, the year of a heated presidential election, 77 percent of registered voters cast ballots in Arizona, but in 2002--the year Osterloh, a Democrat, ran for governor in what might politely be called a dark-horse campaign....

How could anybody have ever guessed they guy was Democrat? Surprised More uninformed voters needed of course to have any chance of winning.

I like the choice of the word, "gadfly." This word is always chosen for people of the liberal sort when the rest of the liberals aren't real proud of him. He is of course just a harmless, irritating person, but having good intentions probably, so he is a "gadfly."

http://www.answers.com/topic/pest-blighter-cuss-pesterer-gadfly

If the same were a conservative, instead of the word, "gadfly," other words like, "loser," or "oddball," or "eccentric, extremist right wing pundit" or some such thing would be applied. Whenever reading the news stories, it always adds a good laugh as I visualize the "reporter," I'm sorry, I meant to say, "journalist," sitting there typing this stuff up and being so proud of his wide ranging use of vocabulary, including "gadfly."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:52 am
Could you please tell where your opinion about a election combined with a lottery is hidden in your response or do you want to discuss primarily what a reporter writes where and why?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:56 am
Democracy in America is already a joke, So why not. All the poor people will come out to vote and they will vote democratic.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 11:59 am
To restate the obvious, Walter, I think it is stupid, plain and simple. And beyond that, it is unethical and maybe against the law and the constitution. After all, it is against the law for citizens to pay other citizens to vote isn't it? So why should the government be allowed to do what citizens cannot do. A first grader should be able to answer this question, let alone a grown-up, supposedly, that is seriously practicing politics. I would say the man is worse than a "gadfly." I would say he is a nutcase.

This actually makes me fear for the country for at least a couple of reasons, one that our educational system is so bad that people actually think this has potential or even legal, and secondly, that people have such low ethical standards to consider this.

Sorry to sugarcoat my opinion here, but did not wish to hurt anyone's feelings.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:19 pm
I generally agree here, okie. I sincerely think, in a democracy a voting lottery is an insult to voting rights .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:26 pm
On the other hand, choosing the politicans via a lottery could be an idea.

If you want to run for office, it will cost you $XXX,XXX to buy a lotto ticket for that office.
The income from the tickets will go to drill oil in natural ressorts or buying new smart bombs or other country's governments or ...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 12:27 pm
Money wins elections in America. That is a fact. American Democracy is bought and sold already. If this lottery is a bad idea then what are lobbyist? You can buy a politician but you can't buy a voter.

American democracy is bought not voted on (media ad space and marketing campaigns). If we are going to talk about ethics then lets talk about existing corruption and the need to reform the whole election system otherwise we need to combat the existing system by anyway we can.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:51 pm
okie wrote:
I think it is stupid, plain and simple. And beyond that, it is unethical and maybe against the law and the constitution.

So if they pass this law in your state and you win the million, does this mean you're going to give it back?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 03:27 pm
Yes. Either that or give it to a charity. I would not take money for voting. period. Besides, I've never purchased a lottery ticket because they are rip-offs.

Look, I am not posing as holier than thou here. This is simple ethics, keltic. What would you do?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 03:45 pm
okie wrote:
Look, I am not posing as holier than thou here.

You're not? Razz

I am not opposed to the idea, so of course I would take the money.

However, even if I were opposed to the idea, I would still take the money.

And I don't believe you wouldn't take the money, either.

I imagine there are sources so ghastly that I would turn down a million dollars from them, but it's impossible to imagine being so opposed to this idea that you would give up a million.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:24 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
okie wrote:
Look, I am not posing as holier than thou here.

You're not? Razz

I am not opposed to the idea, so of course I would take the money.

However, even if I were opposed to the idea, I would still take the money.

And I don't believe you wouldn't take the money, either.

I imagine there are sources so ghastly that I would turn down a million dollars from them, but it's impossible to imagine being so opposed to this idea that you would give up a million.

You've hit on a problem, keltic, which includes you. You are apparently part of the problem, which I already knew from other debates we,ve had.

Once an electorate votes because of the money they may get personally, then I would say any democratic country is in dire danger of surviving in a healthy condition. The lottery for voting would be a final straw, but actually people vote now because politicians promise them anything and everything on a personal level. We should vote for people that promise to uphold the constitution, not give handouts to everyone.

Apparently, you have little ethics, keltic. As I've said, this is no badge of honor here on my part, it is simply what everyone should do. Everyone should refuse to vote just to win a lottery.

If I played the lottery, I might win, and that beyond the fact I think lotteries are ripoffs, is another reason I don't play the lottery. I would not want to win.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 05:51 pm
okie wrote:
Apparently, you have little ethics, keltic. As I've said, this is no badge of honor here on my part, it is simply what everyone should do.

I am supposed to have little ethics? Okie, there is not one person reading this thread who didn't roll their eyes to the ceiling and say, "This guy is full of baloney" when they read your post claiming that you would turn down that million dollars.

Don't go around lecturing about ethics after laying one on the board so big they can smell it from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 09:00 pm
Go ahead and roll your eyes. Believe what you want. I don't want their dirty money. I'm perfectly happy without it. As I said, I do not buy lottery tickets. You are stupid if you do. Besides its nothing more than a tax on the poor. I am not one to subscribe to the theory that winning the lottery will make you happy anyway, and in fact there is quite a bit of evidence for the opposite. So why do you want to play something where if you lose, you lose, and if you win, you end up losing?

You libs constantly complain about people getting rich on the backs of the poor, well, take a look in the mirror. Who do you think plays the lottery?.... probably mostly that can least afford it. At least thats what I see in the convenience stores. Old shriveled up old ladies dragging in their oxygen, puffing on a cigarette, fishing for their last dollar to buy lottery tickets, they scratch another loser, and walk out the door a loser like they came in. Are these the people you want to make a million off of keltic? I feel sorry for them, and don't want their money. If they want to waste it, I can't help it, but at least I won't be guilty, I'm staying out of it.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 12:07 am
there is already a voter roll lottery in my state, its called jury duty.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 12:35 am
okie wrote:
Go ahead and roll your eyes. Believe what you want. I don't want their dirty money. I'm perfectly happy without it. As I said, I do not buy lottery tickets...... I feel sorry for them, and don't want their money. If they want to waste it, I can't help it, but at least I won't be guilty, I'm staying out of it.

I can believe that you are opposed to a lottery. What I don't believe, and nobody believes, is that if by some coincidence you won a million dollars in one, that you would refuse the money.

The median full time job pays about $32,000 a year. A million dollars is over 30 years of that-close to a lifetime's average income. Sure, you can oppose the lottery, and vote against it every chance you get. That doesn't mean that if some circumstances occurred where you won a million from one that you'd turn your back on the money. And nobody would blame you when you took it, either.

Okie, you turn just about every thread into a morality lecture where you try to take the role of moral teacher to anyone who opposes your far right viewpoint. Well, you just blew that gig sky-high in this thread. There is absolutely nobody reading this thread, of any political persuasion, who actually believes that you are so opposed to lotteries that if you by chance won one, you would walk away from a million dollars.

Yes, there are circumstances where I would walk away from a million dollars, though they are few in number. But you are not going to convince me that you would put the lottery in that category.

Get off your high horse, okie. You're not fooling anyone. You would take the money, like anyone would.
0 Replies