Need quick help. "Was that real?"

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 06:45 pm
We took Mo to the airshow today. You might have heard that a plane crashed.

We had moved in close to watch the jets.

I said "He's been gone a long time"

<long silence>

Me: "Where is he?"

<long silence>

Mr. B: "There he is. Something's wrong."

(Mr. B used to be a pilot.)

Then we see the plane descend and then we see a huge fireball.

Cop: "Was that real?"

<long, stunned silence>

Me: <sob>

Mr. B: "Let's go home."

Mo: "What? What? Did that plane crash? Are they okay? What? What?"

I contained my tears and Mr. B and I tried to explain it to Mo. About how people sometimes take risks. About how sometimes people get hurt. About accidents.

Now we're home and he wants to "play" plane crash.

I don't know how to play plane crash.

Me: <sob>

How do you play plane crash?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,316 • Replies: 44
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 06:59 pm
Oh no...

I hadn't heard about the accident.

Playing is how kids process things. It's a big thing to process. Understandable that he'd try, though.

How does he want to play it? Follow his lead, I'd think, and keep saying the sad, reasonable things you've said.

<thinking>

And hugs to you, too, what a terrible thing to see.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:08 pm
This seems somewhat useful, can't vouch for it as it's just the result of a Google search...

http://www.nasponline.org/NEAT/griefwar.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:13 pm
I've been looking for stuff on how the Challenger and Columbia disasters were handled re: children who saw it, as it seems analagous. Haven't turned up anything yet though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:17 pm
OK, finally, this looks very good and has a collection of resources:

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/profdev042.shtml
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:20 pm
One of the best-looking links therein was inactive, so I got it via the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030220044016/http://www.wellesley.edu/Psychology/CSC/notice.html

Most pertinent part:

Quote:
The Shuttle Disaster

We on the staff of the CSC are shocked and saddened by the tragedy on the space shuttle Challenger. Many of our young children have ben especially interested in space ships and astronauts, and undoubtedly, we - like adults - are frightened and bewildered by this event. We thought it might be useful to tell you how we expect to answer children's questions and help them deal with their fears.

* Wait for children to ask questions and then answer them honestly and briefly. Remember that they can absorb only simple and concrete information. Try to listen carefully to what they are really asking.

* Explain that accidents almost never happen. Many, many space ship launchings, trips, and landings have been successful. Scientists don't yet know why this terrible accident happened.

* When these rare accidents do happen, people - even grown-ups - feel sad. (Parents are sad, teachers are sad, children are sad, etc.)

* Some children may know that a mother/father/teacher died in the accident. Those children need reassurance that their own mothers/fathers/teachers are fine and will continue to take care of them, will continue to keep them safe.

* If any children have watched television since the accident, they may have seen previous films of some of the astronauts. This might reinforce typical preschool confusion about the reversibility of death. It helps for adults to explain that death is final, that the dead do not come back, that when people die, their bodies are no longer working.

* Some children may wonder about Christa McAuliffe's children. Our kids need to know that the McAuliffes will be well cared for be their father, their grandparents, relatives, friends, etc. They will be sad and will grieve, but will, of course, resume school and work and play. (In other words, life goes on.)

* Some children might need to have adults emphasize that space shuttles and rocket ships are very different from airplanes and other forms of transportation. For instance, an adult might say, "Some people think that airplanes and rocket ships are the same. But they really are very different..."

* Some children may want to spend a lot of time building space ships and playing astronauts. Adults might say, "It's no wonder you are building that space ship. You've been thinking a lot about space ships lately..."

We hope that these suggestions help. Obviously, we haven't covered every possible question your child might ask. We'd be interested in any hints you have for us, as well as feedback from you about your child's major concerns. Good luck.

Points to Remember at Stressful Times

1. Everyone regresses at times of stress.

2. Dominant personality traits often become exaggerated at times of stress.

3. Young children are reactive to the emotional turmoil of stressful times even when they cannot intellectually understand teh reason for the stress.

4. Young children need frequent reassurance they themselves are OK and that they are being taken care of by responsible adults who know and love them.

5. When traumatic things have happened to young children they feel that all of life is out of control. Therefore, children may forget, ignore, or intellectually defy rules, family customs, or personal safety concerns. In part this is an effort to redefine the boundaries of their existence. They are dependent upon adults to gently but firmly restate those boundaries. Restating or reaffirming limits and boundaries is essential to the process of regaining a sense of normalcy and personal control over one's life. Remember that routine is comforting.

Scripts For Stressful Times

1. "It's no wonder you're playing (thinking, etc.) that ... " (for example - " ... that your building an airport, because your mommy went to California on an airplane.")

2. "Sometimes children think that when such and such has happened then ... " (for example - " ... that when their babysitter leaves it's because they have done something wrong.")

3. "It must be difficult when ... " (neutral statement offering child opportunity to express own feelings, for example - " ... when daddy has hurt his back and can't play with you.")

4. "Just because such and such happened, it doesn't mean that (the rules, our family, my love for you, etc.) has changed." (for example - "Just because our family has moved and all these boxes are around ... " or "Just because we just had a new baby in the family ...")

5. "It can be (sad, frustrating, scary, etc.) when such and such happens." (for example - "It can be scary when the electricity goes off.")
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:21 pm
um....isn't there a time you say to you child "no....we don't play plane crash because that is something serious, and not to be played with?"

would you play "cancer" if someone died of it?

I mean, really, c'mon boom, your son has to learn about these things, but Playing at something is a game, and this is not a game.

as for following his lead, maybe this is one of those times, where as the adult, he's supposed to follow your lead.

now don't everybody jump on me about "processing" and "role playing" and all that other stuff.....that's not always the answer.

that's all
over and out.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:24 pm
Sozobe, you are a brick.

My heart goes out to you, Boomer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:24 pm
"Playing" is how kids learn about life.

It's not all happiness and fun.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:27 pm
This also looks very good (PDF):

http://pbskids.org/arthur/parentsteachers/resources/parentguides/pdf/Helping_In_Difficult_Times.pdf

A line from it:

Quote:
Children often express thoughts and worries through their play. Listen and watch. You may want to gently join in and help your child work through the scary parts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
OK, I'll stop with the link barrage because this one:

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/profdev042.shtml

seems to be a good one-stop with lots of good stuff and links to good stuff there.

Hope some of it is helpful.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:34 pm
hmmm....perhaps a different word than playing should be used then...play is supposed to be fun, enjoyable, relaxing.

Maybe, oh, I don't know, the truth?
Like learning about some of the bad things in life?

Of course you need to teach children about this stuff, but throwing the word playing in there is condecending to the child, and lying to yourself.

this is something that needs to be WORKED at, explained, not PLAYED at.

It just makes no sense to me the choice of words people use...this is just simply not play, and ought not to be treated as such.

That's just so PC.
Picture yourself telling the family of one of the dead that you were "playing" at how their husband got killed.

Wouldn't you be more likely to say your child was very upset and you were working it out with him.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:49 pm
Ok.

I gotta side with Chai on this, but put my own spin on it.

IF ( and this is a big if, because Bean being 5 is still a ways off)
but, IF, Jillian and I were there.. and her reaction was what Mo did, I would ( like to think ) spin on my heels and directly approach the problem.

I would let her see my tears because death is natural, but it is painfull and confusing for the living.

I would tell her --"Plane crashes are not a thing to pretend about. But they are things to talk about. Would you like to draw a picture of it while we talk? "
I dont know how comfortable I would be with the idea of letting her pretend a play crash.

But, then again like I said, she is a ways off from being Mo's age, and I can only speculate how I would feel in that situation.

I would like to think that I could handle it with a strong back bone, and an " im the parent, and this is what I want you to learn " voice ....

but in all honesty, I have no clue.

Jezzzeee.. I cant imagine being in your shoes right now Boom. ( hug )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 07:51 pm
Chai, shewolf--

I see your points--but remember Mo is a kid with a lot of personal trauma that he's been surmounting through "play".

I suspect "play" for Mo has a secondary meaning of dealing with problems.

Think about "role-playing"--very serious stuff, "role-playing".

Soz--

Great research.

Boomer--

Take your lead from Mo. He knows what he needs.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 08:11 pm
You are a brick, soz. Thank you.

Reading.

Clicking.

Reading.

Thanking.

Thinking.

I'm glad the day is almost over. I might be able to approach this with a clearer head tomorrow.

I'm sorry but I'm not even going to get into the whole "play" issue.

Mo knows a bit about death (pets) and loss (obvious). These are not foreign ideas to him.

It is really hard right now because I'm still trying to cope with the fact that someone died while trying to entertain me.

And that he crashed into a neighborhood and that nobody really knows ..... much of anything .....

<sob>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 08:14 pm
It sucks.

Sleep well, boomer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:14 am
Boomer...re the play. (And I am at work, haven't had a chance to see all posts)

First, look after YOU!

That is awful, and horrifying to see.

How are YOU?????

Remember....sometimes people DO do risky stuff.....one assumes the pilot would have suffered very little, and was doing something he/she wanted to.

Nonetheles, yikes!

Good on him for wanting to play it out.

I would be guided by him now....he thing to watch is his affect, and if he becomes uncontained, or if the play repeats again and again.

He needs you to be reassuring and to reiterate that he is safe, you are safe and all that........I would watch what he does, and add to his play the people coming to help the pilot and try to look after him......that they did their best to help him, that sort of stuff, that people were there to put the fire out.

Was anyone else killed, hurt? If so, you prolly need to let him know, if he is gonna come across this stuff on TV, the papers, talk in your social group.

Don't let him watch footage of the accident if you can help it.

Keep letting him talk/play when he leads you to...let him back off when he needs to.

Keep routines and such as predictable as you can.

Once again, how are you two?

Talk it out here, wherever you need to.

You did a great job so far, as always!!!!

Soz may already have given you these...sorry if she has:

http://www.fyca.org/Disaster%20Relief/Supporting%20Children%20in%20the%20Face%20of%20Disaster1.pdf

http://www.nwcphp.org/training/hot-topics/2004-hot-topics/supporting-children-at-times-of-disaster

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/family/az1341/az1341d.pdf

http://cals.arizona.edu/fcs/supporting_families/04supporting_children.html

This is a good site to explore.

http://www.trauma-pages.com/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:24 am
I didn't read all this this closely. Just that I think when you were sobbing with the plane crash you should have .... sobbed with it.

I don't get real grief cover up, think tuning it out, re something like this crash, is sort of out in left field. What is wrong with crying and being bummed? Emotion has value, needs not to be screened as some kind of rule. This was not time for stiff upper lip, but ... emotion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:26 am
Ah, well, I see I am awry re others' posts.
So it goes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:26 am
Here's the one I was looking for:

http://www.trauma-pages.com/h/aacap.php
0 Replies