Fragment sentences

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 05:43 pm
I have a question about fragments and complete sentences. The subject part confuses me a bit sometimes too. I know that in a paragraph things can be assumed in sentences from the ones before. For instance if I were to say

She lived in there for years before she passed away.

I'm thinking that's incomplete because I don't know where there is. That really doesn't tell me everything. Would that be a fragment? But if it was noted in a sentence prior that there is referring to a cardboard box, it's understood. Standing alone it seems incomplete! I just want to know if that's a fragment or is it incomplete? Why does it seem wrong to me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 435 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 06:18 pm
Sentence fragments have nothing to do with understood or non-understood meanings. A fragment is a clause that cannot stand alone grammatically (not semantically) because it is missing a subject, missing a predicate, or contains some linking word but isn't linked to something.

These are sentence fragments:

Lived in there for years before she passed away.
Before she passed away.
She lived in there for.

...and so on. But

Quote:
She lived in there for years before she passed away.

is not a fragment: it has a subject, it has a predicate, and it does not contain a floating linking word. It is true that the exact meaning of the word "there" is ambiguous, but that doesn't make the sentence a fragment; it just makes the sentence's meaning ambiguous. It is still a complete sentence.
0 Replies

Autumnnagy

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 07:30 pm
Thank you so much! That definately explains a lot!
0 Replies