Alcohol myths....

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:48 pm
Binge drinking in colleges and even high schools is a huge problem...another alcohol fact is that it is healthier to drink moderately every day than pack it all into one weekend. That is when people die.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:36 am
A bit late but might be of some interest here:

Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2003 Jul;27(7):1075-82

Binge Ethanol Treatment Causes Greater Brain Damage in Alcohol-Preferring P Rats Than in Alcohol-Nonpreferring NP Rats.

Crews FT, Braun CJ.

BACKGROUND Genetics is a known risk factor for alcoholism, and human alcoholics are known to suffer from a loss of brain function and mass. A 4 day rat binge drinking model is known to cause brain region-specific damage. To investigate the role of genetics in binge-drinking-induced brain damage, we studied bidirectionally selected rat lines, the alcohol-preferring P and the alcohol-nonpreferring NP rat lines.METHOD P and NP rats were treated with a 4 day binge ethanol protocol. Animals were killed, transcardially perfused, and fixed, and their brains were removed, sectioned, and stained by using the amino cupric silver stain of de Olmos or by using immunohistochemistry for phospho-extracellular signal regulated kinases and other antigens.RESULTS Significant brain damage was found in the olfactory bulbs, posterior perirhinal cortex, and entorhinal cortex in both P and NP rats. P rats were found to have significantly greater brain damage, compared with NP rats, in the posterior perirhinal and posterior entorhinal cortexes, 239% +/- 50% (p < 0.02) and 219% +/- 46% (p < 0.01), respectively. Phospho-extracellular signal regulated kinase immunohistochemistry stained prominently in damaged brain areas.CONCLUSIONS The P rat line, a genetic model of alcoholism, shows greater region-specific brain damage due to binge ethanol treatment than its genetic counterpart, the NP rat line. These findings suggest that genetics contribute to susceptibility for binge-induced brain damage.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:42 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Time to hang out the dirty washing Margo!!

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/kititara/images/ATT09006.jpg

margo outdrank me by miles (or shall I say by glasses) last time we met Wink

Tee Hee
0 Replies

PiusVenator

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 04:24 pm
i have never drunk much before i went to university... 2 weeks ago. but i have been to a number of kegers and out with people.

i am told i am an alcholic because i can drink 15+ beers in an evening and be ok... i rember everything, dont passout or puke. and can walk home fine.

why do i have more of a tollarence then other people? (like 2nd and 3rd year students)

i an about 105 killograms, thats about 220lb

any ideas?
thanks
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:21 pm
Most likely, it's your size.

I know a five foot-nine, hundred and twentyish pound twentysomething female that can out drink all of the people I know including plus two hundred pound males, and she doesn't puke.

She's been drinking since she was twelve years old.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:30 pm
InfraBlue, it is more likely that it is because she has been drinking since she was twelve.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:32 pm
Hmmmm after 18yrs, in EMS, I have to say that if alcohol were to dissapear, I would have much less to do!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:48 pm
Gawd, such terrible ideas. Alcohol will "never" disappear.
0 Replies