ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

Brand X

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:26 pm
Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation is reporting Israeli airstrikes in North-East Baalbeck.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:29 pm
McGentrix wrote:
More proof that freedom4free is an absolute kook.

All is well in the world then. (so to speak)

This is remarkable, you guys have a talent of debunking whole articles with a flash of a card :

McGentrix had just used an Ad Hominem card.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:31 pm
Brand X wrote:
Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation is reporting Israeli airstrikes in North-East Baalbeck.

Now the reports are saying that there is no confirmation that any airstrikes took place.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:43 pm
Question for you guys to debate.

Al Qaeda is embedded in Canadian cities and towns along our border. They're lobbing missiles into the US. Do we;

1. Do nothing

2 Destroy the Canadian towns and their population and blame it on Al Qaeda.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:47 pm
xingu wrote:

Al Qaeda is embedded in Canadian cities and towns along our border. They're lobbing missiles into the US. Do we;

1. Do nothing

How about: 3. Work with Canada to take care of the problem.

Not the case with Lebanon.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2434/060720heltershelterxug5.gif
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:06 pm
http://danzigercartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/dancart2858.jpg
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:18 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
xingu wrote:

1. Do nothing

How about: 3. Work with Canada to take care of the problem.

Not the case with Lebanon.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2434/060720heltershelterxug5.gif

Wrong answer. You should know that Lebanon is to weak to do anything about Hizbullah. Look at Israel. It's the strongest force in the Middle East. Yet she couldn't destroy Hizbullah. Why should we expect the Lebanese army to do any different?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:19 pm
By the way, where's Frank Apisa? Haven't seen him around in a while.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 02:39 pm
freedom4free wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
More proof that freedom4free is an absolute kook.

All is well in the world then. (so to speak)

This is remarkable, you guys have a talent of debunking whole articles with a flash of a card :

McGentrix had just used an Ad Hominem card.

Your arguments are kooky. He who presents kooky arguments is rightfully perceived to be a kook.

Here's one example of your many kooky arguments.

You argued that since Hizbollah was unable to discourage the Israelies from shooting at Hizbollah, while Hizbollah was located among Lebanese civilians and murdering Israeli civilians, Hizbollah was not criminal for locating itself among Lebanese civilians, while it murdered Israeli civilians. You wrote that that is true because police do not shoot at criminals holding hostages in order to avoid killing the hostages. But you kookily do not recognize the obvious: criminals who hold hostages are nonetheless criminals. And since Hizbollah located itself among Lebanese civilians, while it murdered Israeli civilians, Hizbollah was criminal regardless of what the Israelies did.

Let's examine your police example further. Do you really think that responsible police will not shoot at criminals holding hostages, while the criminals are murdering non-hostages? Claiming that responsible police wouldn't do that is kooky. Of course responsible police would do that in an effort to reduce the total number of non-hostages that would otherwise be murdered.

But suppose the number of hostages exceeded the number of non-hostages the criminals were murdering. Yes, shooting at the criminals would be a tough decision for the police to make in that case. But if responsible police knew that the hostages were not really hostages, but were instead knowing and willing neighbors of the criminals, they should shoot at the criminals to reduce the total number of non-hostage-non-knowing-non-willing neighbors of the criminals, the criminals would otherwise murder.

The Israeli military wisely shot at the Hizbollah criminals killing many of their knowing and willing Lebanese neighbors in order to stop Hizbollah from continuing to murder their Israeli neighbors across the Israeli-Lebanon border.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:35 pm
xingu wrote:
Wrong answer. You should know that Lebanon is to weak to do anything about Hizbullah. Look at Israel. It's the strongest force in the Middle East. Yet she couldn't destroy Hizbullah. Why should we expect the Lebanese army to do any different?

She could've destroyed Hezbollah, or at least done considerably more damage.

I didn't expect the Lebanese army to do any different.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 03:36 pm
xingu wrote:
By the way, where's Frank Apisa? Haven't seen him around in a while.

Probably enjoying a sabbatical from A2K ... either voluntary or imposed upon him.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:28 pm
Reservists: Officers stopped us attending protest against war

By Nir Hasson

Some 160 infantry reserve soldiers are accusing their commanders of preventing them from participating in a demonstration against the war in Lebanon, which they called a "debacle." The soldiers said they had been used as "sitting ducks."

"I've been in the army and reserves for 26 years and what happened this time was not merely a fiasco, it was a complete debacle. We felt like tin soldiers in a game of Olmert and Peretz's assistants and spin masters," said Avi, a soldier in the brigade.

At noon yesterday 160 brigade soldiers signed a request to take part in the demonstration that would call on the resignation of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz. However, their release was put off until today, preventing them from reaching the protest.

They wanted to protest not only the army's moves in Lebanon but the decisions of their commanders, whom they accuse of sending them needlessly to their death.

"They sent us into a village they knew 15 Hezbollah fighters were holed up in at mid-day, we were like sitting ducks, it was total insanity. Two of our comrades were killed because of that. We are being used as though we were in the Chinese army, where it doesn't matter how many are killed," he said.

A few dozen demonstrators arrived at Rabin Square yesterday to take part in the protest that had been organized on Internet sites.

They called for Olmert's resignation and blasted halting the war before its goals were achieved.

Ariella Miller, one of the protest's initiators, said she was not acting on behalf of any political body. "We are family people who used the Internet to form a group. When we went to war they promised us to bring back the soldiers and restore Israel's deterrent force."
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:40 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Reservists: Officers stopped us attending protest against war

By Nir Hasson
"They sent us into a village they knew 15 Hezbollah fighters were holed up in at mid-day, we were like sitting ducks, it was total insanity. Two of our comrades were killed because of that. We are being used as though we were in the Chinese army, where it doesn't matter how many are killed," he said.

A few dozen demonstrators arrived at Rabin Square yesterday to take part in the protest that had been organized on Internet sites.

They called for Olmert's resignation and blasted halting the war before its goals were achieved.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:31 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
blatham wrote:
David Ben Gurion...terrorist apologist and sympathizer and, one might logically extend from some of you folks' comments, an anti-semite.

No, I wouldn't suggest that he was. As far as I'm aware, he did not condone the tactics of the Palestinians in intentionally target/kill civilians to further their political goals. He understood why they are upset at Isreal ... everyone on this planet understands why they are upset at Isreal, but that doesn't make their terrorist tactics acceptable, and that doesn't mean they should be condoned.

And your being a shill for Suskind doesn't make you more correct on this issue.

"They shouldn't be condoned". Agreed, with no reservation. But where, outside of the predictable nutty edge) have you seen or read anyone condone Arab or Muslim terrorism? I haven't seen it. I certainly haven't done it myself either here or anywhere else.

Yet, there's simply no question that had I hidden the proper authorship of Ben Gurion's statement and had I disguised it as my own sentiments, then it would have constituted evidence of anti-Israel bias and pro-terrorist sentiment in the eyes of those of you to whom I'm talking.

And I also do not condone the magnitude of Israel's response nor its means which effectively disregards or justities insufficient regard for civilians, either one a violation of fundamental principles of just and humane warfare.

Human Rights Watch was absolutely correct to suggest that Hezbollah is guilty of war crimes and that those who are responsible ought to be charged in international courts. Human Rights Watch is also absolutely correct to suggest that Israel too is guilty, certainly in the use of cluster bombs (if they have, and it looks probable they have) and that those repsonsible should arrive before the court. I also hold that the US is guilty for torture, and perhaps more, and those responsible should be tried for war crimes.

That, of course, won't be acceptable to you. You've "picked a side" as foxfyre puts it. And when you pick a side in this manner and so completely, principle no longer deserves attention or loyalty.

As regards Suskind and the term "shill" you apply to me... I have no doubt at all as to whether you've bothered to read him. You will not have. He's on the wrong side. The wrong side is that side which criticizes your president and his administration. Regardless of who that person might be, what his knowledge might be, what his experience might be, what his service or sacrifice to the country might be, what professional accomplishments he has made, if he goes on to criticize this president and administration's policies strongly or acutely or effectively, he lands on the wrong side for you guys. That Suskind writes carefully and tempers his claims means nothing. That he received a Pulitzer for reporting while working for the WSJ means nothing, except perhaps evidence that the Pulitzer committee is biased.

And, in three years, I've quoted only two short passages from Suskind here. I've linked a single essay. I've recommended a single book, the only one I've read. Thus, I "shill for Suskind".

An exercise in compare and contrast...how many columns from Ann Coulter, of all people, have you pasted here?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:21 pm
Israeli Troops Criticize War Handling
Soldiers Complain Of Short Supplies, Poor Communication, Lack Of Training

METULLA, Israel, Aug. 18, 2006 http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/18/world/main1913525.shtml
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:13 pm
Quote:
Israeli aircraft attack eastern Lebanon
Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:33pm ET165
RELATED VIDEO
Video Thumbnail
Troops in and out of south Lebanon
Play Video
Top News
ABC News says Pakistanis arrest al Qaeda commander
Israeli aircraft attack eastern Lebanon: source
Bush predicts courts will uphold security wiretaps
VIDEO: Latest Headlines
More Top News...
Email This Article | Print This Article | Reprints
[-] Text [+]

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Israeli aircraft fired several rockets at a target in a Hizbollah stronghold in eastern Lebanon early on Saturday morning, a Lebanese security source said.

It was not immediately clear what the Israeli aircraft were firing at in the village of Bodai.

It was the first Israeli aerial attack since a U.N. truce ended 34 days of fighting between Israeli forces and Hizbollah guerrillas in southern Lebanon.

At least 1,183 people in Lebanon and 157 Israelis were killed in the war that erupted after Hizbollah captured two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on July 12.

Source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:34 pm
In response to this

That whole "human shield" card is just so much nonsense. Where else are Palestinian terrorist supposed to be except in Palestine living among civilians? So to get one target they bomb a house where a (according to Israel anyway)terrorist lives and kill everybody in the house and more besides (hence the term "collective punishment") and then say, "hey, they are hiding behind women and children..." Furthermore, sometimes they bomb neighborhoods where there are not any terrorist at all (it has been documented by Palestine) not to mention the crazy bull dozing habits where they destroy houses and places of business leaving Palestine forever in a state of destruction.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:57 pm
revel wrote:
...leaving Palestine forever in a state of destruction.

The "palestinian" state of destruction starts in their own twisted minds:

http://www.pmw.org.il
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:06 pm
blatham wrote:
An exercise in compare and contrast...how many columns from Ann Coulter, of all people, have you pasted here?

I've not recommended anybody go read Coulter. Matter of fact, I'm sure I've recommended to people that they NOT read Coulter.

Some people read Dave Barry ... I read Ann Coulter.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:08 pm
revel wrote:
In response to this

That whole "human shield" card is just so much nonsense. Where else are Palestinian terrorist supposed to be except in Palestine living among civilians? So to get one target they bomb a house where a (according to Israel anyway)terrorist lives and kill everybody in the house and more besides (hence the term "collective punishment") and then say, "hey, they are hiding behind women and children..." Furthermore, sometimes they bomb neighborhoods where there are not any terrorist at all (it has been documented by Palestine) not to mention the crazy bull dozing habits where they destroy houses and places of business leaving Palestine forever in a state of destruction.

Keep drinking thre kool-aid, revel.
0 Replies