ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

gungasnake

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 02:31 am
revel wrote:

Mothers embraced their dead children in shock Sunday as rescue workers tackled the rubble and dust of buildings flattened by Israeli bombing raids on the southern village of Qana that killed at least 59 civilians. Out of whom 37 children between the ages of 2 to 13 years old.....

Quote:

....All this was inspired by the principle -- which is quite true in itself -- that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper stata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily, and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down.....

Adolf Hitler
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 02:46 am
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/06.08.01.QanaMassacre-X.gif
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 03:56 am
http://xs75.xs.to/pics/06143/humanshield3.jpg

http://www.prc.org.uk/artimages/israeli%20soldiers1.gif

http://www.voanews.com/azeri/images/ap_israel_soldiers_Palestinian_human_shield__210_eng_6oct05_0.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/654/imagesjm2.jpg

http://www.btselem.org/English/Email_Update/20051101_HS.jpg
IDF soldiers using a Palestinian civilian in Hebron as a human shield. Photo: Reuters

http://www.btselem.org/English/Email_Update/20051101.html
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 06:12 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Then how do those journalists get from Beirut to the bomb sites so quickly and easily? Wouldn't you think if traffic can move IN to those areas, traffic can also move OUT? That seems reasonable to me. Now the piece I posted a little while ago summarizes reports that Hezbollah won't always allow the civilians to leave an area and will prevent them from doing so at gunpoint and/or shoot them if they try to run. Now I don't know if that is true because I'm not there. But then we aren't there to see the 'atrocities' committed by Israel either are we?

The evidence more and more points to Hezbollah telling a whole lot of whoppers in this conflict and so far, the evidence points to Israel telling it pretty much as it is.

What evidence, Foxy? Are you claiming an op-ed piece by some rightwing writer as evidence?

I'd be interested in reading reports, if possible from a third party (neither Hezbollah nor the Israeli Armed Forces), about what you are claiming. Not sure, but shouldn't organizations such as the International Red Cross be reporting that?

So far (while I do not deny I might find that believable), I have seen no evidence that Lebanese can move freely and easily out of the dangerous zones, that purely civilian infrastructure is not targeted, that Hezbollah kills Lebanese civilians to make a case, that Hezbollah prevents Lebanese civilians at gunpoint from moving out of the dangerous zones or, in fact, for almost everything you are claiming, Foxy.

You say it is your belief, it makes sense to you, it's how the situation appears to you etc. That's quite nice, but so far I haven't seen evidence for that. If you're saying that's your unbased opinion, fine. But if you're claiming that as fact, you should be willing to apply the same criteria as when judging reported atrocities by the Israeli army.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 06:32 am
freedom4free wrote:

...pictures of slammites being used as "human shields"...

Two or three things I'd note:

ONe is that the article itself notes that all such practices have now been banned in the IDF:

Quote:

On 6 October 2005, the High Court of Justice ruled that it was illegal to use Palestinian civilians during military operations. The decision was in response to a petition filed in 2002 by B'Tselem and six other human rights organizations. In its ruling, the Court also prohibited use of the "Prior Warning Procedure," which replaced the "Neighbor Procedure" in July 2003. The court held that any use of Palestinian civilians in IDF military operations is completely forbidden.

Two is that the analogy is totally false.

Presently you have an unprovoked attack on Israel by lunatics who fire rockets into civilian targets from thickly settled areas so as to ensure civilian casualties when the Israelis try to defend themselves by going after the rocket launchers.

What the pictures show might make a case if the Israelis were doing the same thing, i.e. initiating an unprovoked rocket attack on the slammite settlements and then using civilians as shields while making the attacks.

But that isn't what was happening, clearly. What WAS happening was that the slammites would attack the Israelis or commit some sort of terorism, Israeli personnel would go into the slammite areas to try to catch the individual terrorists (as opposed to simply carpetbombing the entire slammite settlement as most nations would), and slammite civilians would throw rocks and molotov cocktails at the soldiers or shoot at them, and the soldiers eventially used human shields in a few instances to enable themselves to do their job of protecting the Israeli public without getting injured or killed.

My advice to the IDF: carpet bomb the ****ers next time. A fighter bomber doesn't need human shields.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 06:39 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Then how do those journalists get from Beirut to the bomb sites so quickly and easily? Wouldn't you think if traffic can move IN to those areas, traffic can also move OUT? That seems reasonable to me. Now the piece I posted a little while ago summarizes reports that Hezbollah won't always allow the civilians to leave an area and will prevent them from doing so at gunpoint and/or shoot them if they try to run. Now I don't know if that is true because I'm not there. But then we aren't there to see the 'atrocities' committed by Israel either are we?

The evidence more and more points to Hezbollah telling a whole lot of whoppers in this conflict and so far, the evidence points to Israel telling it pretty much as it is.

What evidence, Foxy? Are you claiming an op-ed piece by some rightwing writer as evidence?

I'd be interested in reading reports, if possible from a third party (neither Hezbollah nor the Israeli Armed Forces), about what you are claiming. Not sure, but shouldn't organizations such as the International Red Cross be reporting that?

So far (while I do not deny I might find that believable), I have seen no evidence that Lebanese can move freely and easily out of the dangerous zones, that purely civilian infrastructure is not targeted, that Hezbollah kills Lebanese civilians to make a case, that Hezbollah prevents Lebanese civilians at gunpoint from moving out of the dangerous zones or, in fact, for almost everything you are claiming, Foxy.

You say it is your belief, it makes sense to you, it's how the situation appears to you etc. That's quite nice, but so far I haven't seen evidence for that. If you're saying that's your unbased opinion, fine. But if you're claiming that as fact, you should be willing to apply the same criteria as when judging reported atrocities by the Israeli army.

Quote:
Later, when people started to leave, two young men were stopped by armed men in masks, Mr. Ghannam said. The masked men, who Mr. Ghannam said were Hezbollah fighters, refused to let the young men leave, even shooting at one of them.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2187256#2187256
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 06:56 am
gung-a-hole wrote

Quote:
ONe is that the article itself notes that all such practices have now been banned in the IDF:

You're obviously an a-hole that can't read :

Quote:
THE ISRAELI INFORMATION CENTER FOR
IN THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES

20 July 2006: Israeli Soldiers use civilians as Human Shields in Beit Hanun

B'Tselem's initial investigation indicates that, during an incursion by Israeli forces into Beit Hanun, in the northern Gaza Strip, on 17 July 2006, soldiers seized control of two buildings in the town and used residents as human shield...

http://www.btselem.org/english/Human_Shields/20060720_Human_Shields_in_Beit_Hanun.asp

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80272
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:03 am
BrandX, you present one instance of Hezbollah stopping two men and then shooting at them as some kind of evidence that Hezbollah is preventing people from leaving wholesale at gun point.

From the same author and place as the article (so it can't be labeled Hezbollah propaganda) you presented the following article says that they reason the residents didn't leave was because of road conditions or too poor or hurt...

Quote:

source
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:08 am
Quote:
BrandX, you present one instance of Hezbollah stopping two men and then shooting at them as some kind of evidence that Hezbollah is preventing people from leaving wholesale at gun point.

One incident is evidence, no?

If you think it happened only once you are fantasizing.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:26 am
Brand X wrote:
Quote:

One incident is not evidence of anything when number one you don't know who those two men were or why Hezbollah stopped to question them and later shot at them. And number two there has been more one instance where it was reported that residents are either too poor, the roads in too bad of a condition or wounded or just elderly or too dangerous because of the ongoing fighting... so that I think it is more reasonable to assume this to be more a reasonable explanation of why residents haven't been able to leave is than because Hezbollah is forcing them to stay at gun point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:28 am
Heard an live interview with Joseph Kallas, archbishop of Beirut and Byb-Los of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church this noon.

He asked the rhetorical question, why the Christian areas have been bombed this morning, if the Israelian didn't know that such would drive even more towards Hizbollah although they actually didn't support them.
But Christians liked their homecountry Lebanon as well as others, he said.

He noted that the destroyed bridges had stopped some couples of aid convoys, two litterally in eyeside. (One with supplies by German Catholic and Evangelical charities.[Inner Mission and Charity Work of the Evangelical Church in Germany and German Caritas])
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:39 am
revel wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Quote:

One incident is not evidence of anything when number one you don't know who those two men were or why Hezbollah stopped to question them and later shot at them. And number two there has been more one instance where it was reported that residents are either too poor, the roads in too bad of a condition or wounded or just elderly or too dangerous because of the ongoing fighting... so that I think it is more reasonable to assume this to be more a reasonable explanation of why residents haven't been able to leave is than because Hezbollah is forcing them to stay at gun point.

I'll spell it out for you. OE asked for evidence, I brought a piece for him.

Also in the article the victim mentioned a fear of movement was based on t fear of Hez in addition to all other reasons you blathered on about.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 07:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Heard an live interview with Joseph Kallas, archbishop of Beirut and Byb-Los of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church this noon.

He asked the rhetorical question, why the Christian areas have been bombed this morning, if the Israelian didn't know that such would drive even more towards Hizbollah although they actually didn't support them.

He noted that the destroyed bridges had stopped some couples of aid convoys, two litterally in eyeside. (One with supplies by German Catholic and Evangelical charities.[Inner Mission and Charity Work of the Evangelical Church in Germany and German Caritas])

Lebanese are wondering why Hez moved into the Christian areas too. Some reckon Christian casualties make the people of Lebanon united in their hatred for Israel and prevent it from being Israel vs. Hez but rather Israel vs. Lebanon.

In other words to play the media.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And he is no doubt reading the same propaganda pieces that everybody else is reading.

OE asks me what evidence? What evidence do any of us have other than what we read or are told? But those who refuse to read or accept any information that does not fit what they wish to believe are either idiots or intellectualy dishonest or ideologically blind.

The overwhelming preponderance of evidence shows:

1) Hezbollah started the fight by kidnapping Israel's soldiers

2) When Israel gave chase, Hezbollah began firing rockets into Israeli residential neighborhoods. Even the UN acknowledges that Hezbollah freely admits it is targeting Israeli civilians.

3) Hezbollah launches those rockets from residential neighborhoods and, when Israel attacks the launch sites, Hezbollah invites journalists to come see what Israel has done. From all indications, Hezbollah is seeking out neighborhoods where civilians are rather than neighborhoods where civilians have evacuated. Hezbollah DELIBERATELY puts civilians at risk.

4) The the majority of the mainstream media obliges by using pictures and headlines to make Israel look as bad as possible.

5) Anti-Israel armchair quarterbacks back home are more than willing to accept the version supplied by the anti-Israel MSM.

If you aren't an idiot or intellectually honest or ideologically blind, however, you also acknowledge and factor in:

6) Israel does not use its civilians as human shields or intentionally put its civilians at risk. And it does what it can to protect its civilian populations.

7) Israel is targeting Hezbollah rocket launchers and supply routes and not civilians in Lebanon as evidenced by the relatively small number of civilians who have been hit. If Israel had been targeting the civilians, many thousands would now be head.

8) Whether you believe the response is proportional or not, Israel has a consistent track record of retaliation against unprovoked attacks from terrorists within its midst or from outside its borders. Israel does not initiate attacks, however, and otherwise leaves its neighbors alone.

Looking at ALL the evidence thus far presented by media sources, I think there is no question that Israel are the good guys in this fight.

But even if you think there are no good guys in this fight, and that could be a reasonable conclusion, I think those who are condemning Israel while offering 'justification' or 'understanding' of Hezbollah or who are not pronouncing even more condemnation on Hezbollah, all qualify as idiots or intellectually dishonest or ideologically blind.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:07 am
Brand X wrote:

Lebanese are wondering why Hez moved into the Christian areas too. Some reckon Christian casualties make the people of Lebanon united in their hatred for Israel and prevent it from being Israel vs. Hez but rather Israel vs. Lebanon.

In other words to play the media.

Any Christian who buys into this crap is basically out of his mind. Christians and Jews are both dhimmi in the eyes of slammites and may both anticipate the same sort of fate if I-slam ultimately prevails in the world.

I-slam has bloody borders, and that includes ALL of its borders, and not just its borders with Jews.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:14 am
Children of a Lesser God

by Osamah Khalil
Last Wednesday at the Rome Summit, Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora reportedly asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, "Are we children of a lesser God? Is an Israeli teardrop worth more than a drop of Lebanese blood?" If America's callous indifference to his repeated requests for a cease-fire were not enough, Siniora received another answer to his question on Sunday morning when an Israeli attack on the town of Qana killed dozens of people, including at least 16 children. For the second time in 10 years, Qana was again the site of horrendous civilian casualties due to Israel's indiscriminate use of force. As it did during the 1982 invasion of Lebanon and its repeated invasions of the West Bank and Gaza over the past six years, Israel again claimed that the "terrorists" were hiding behind civilians. Again the U.S. leadership, whose own disregard for civilian lives in Iraq is evident, rushed to defend Israel and block it from international opprobrium. Indeed, the rhetoric emanating from the U.S. has made it clear that it considers the Lebanese, and other Arabs and Muslims, expendable.

One need only witness the exodus of foreign citizens from Lebanon in the first week of the war to recognize the similarity to President Bush's Hurricane Katrina policy: those with money and the right passport can leave; those without are left to die. Yet American officials offer little sympathy. On July 17, U.S. Ambassador to the UN John Bolton, stated that there was "no moral equivalence" between civilian deaths in Lebanon due to Israeli bombings and Israeli deaths due to Hezbollah's rocket attacks. His statement was made in response to a question about eight Canadian citizens and their three Lebanese relatives killed in an Israeli air strike.

Bolton's disregard for Lebanese casualties pales in comparison to the policies advocated by Jed Babbin, former undersecretary for defense for President George H.W. Bush. As a guest on CNN's Paula Zahn Now on July 28, he declared, "I'm willing to kill as many people as it requires to take out Hezbollah." How did Babbin account for the increasing support for Hezbollah in Lebanon across sectarian lines since Israel's invasion began? He claimed the entire country was "enslaved by a sort of Stockholm Syndrome" that could only be cured by Israeli attacks. By labeling an entire population as pathological, Babbin revealed the underlying racism of the Bush administration's Middle East policy. He also demonstrated how cruelly and consistently American officials and experts tend to blame the victim when their delusional policies prove to be an abysmal failure.

http://www.antiwar.com/orig/khalil.php?articleid=9471
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:23 am
gungasnake wrote:
Any Christian who buys into this crap is basically out of his mind.

Shocked
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:26 am
Foxfyre

Quote:
Looking at ALL the evidence thus far presented by media sources, I think there is no question that Israel are the good guys in this fight.

I'm going to agree with fox here, shes only uses credible sources

I'm actually amazed that begging techniques do actually work Fox. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:28 am
I think, this was posted already somewhere, but it really worth looking at it again:

Quote:
It's like watching two different wars
Julian Borger
August 2, 2006 01:18 PM

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/julian_borger/2006/08/post_279.html

The US and European media have always covered the Middle East from different perspectives, but flying back to Washington from a stay in London at the height of the Lebanese conflict made it clear to me how wide the gulf has become. Britons and Americans are watching two different wars.

The overwhelming emphasis of television and press coverage in the UK was the civilian casualties in Lebanon. Day after day, those were the "splash" stories. The smaller number of civilian casualties from Hizbullah rockets in northern Israel was also covered but rarely made the top headlines or front pages.

Back in DC, watching Lebanon through American camera lenses, the centre of the action seemed to be Haifa. CNN, for example, sent two of its top anchors, Miles O'Brien and Wolf Blitzer, to the Israeli port city. Much of the morning news was devoted to showing O'Brien scurrying in and out of shelters when the air raid sirens sounded. Another correspondent was sent on patrol with a Haifa ambulance crew to look for casualties. On the morning I was watching, the crew only came across a man who had a fatal heart attack as a result of the rockets. The paramedics' attempts to save him were shown.

This emphasis on Israeli casualties relative to Lebanese was taken to its breathtaking extreme by Charles Krauthammer, a conservative columnist on the Washington Post, who described the Hizbullah rocket attacks as "perhaps the most blatant terror campaign from the air since the London blitz."

From Haifa, the television news typically shifts to the border and to correspondents covering the Israeli army (CNN has another of its leading men, John Roberts, stationed there), who have supplied most of the news on the fighting in south Lebanon.

There have been reports out of Lebanon itself, but they have usually come further down the running order, and reports on civilian casualties there are almost always contextualised, emphasising the Hizbullah tactic of launching rockets from populated areas; in British reporting, that context has often been either missing or weighed separately in analytical pieces.

British journalism generally celebrates eyewitness accounts with a consistency in emotional tone that discourages cool asides to discuss mitigating circumstances; US television reporting out of Lebanon, by contrast, has occasionally been in danger of becoming all context, focusing on Hizbullah tactics to the exclusion of the humanitarian tragedy. Fox News, in particular, has sought to bolster Israeli public relations. An anchor at one point asked Ehud Barak what he would like the world to know about Hizbullah and Hamas.

Qana has changed the tone, at least for the time being. The account of families huddled together in a building in a doomed bid to keep their children safe and the sight of the small bodies being carried out of the rubble has had the emotional force to break through the usual rules of the game, and has mostly been given comprehensive coverage. But one Fox anchor still expressed concern that any pause in the Israeli offensive would allow Hizbullah to regroup.

There is a circular relationship between media coverage of the Middle East and public opinion. Correspondents and editors are often fearful of the avalanches of hate mail that can descend in a heartbeat on matters Middle Eastern, and their reports consequently serve to deepen entrenched points of view.

The difference between British and US polls on the current conflict are striking. Just over a fifth of Britons polled pre-Qana, compared with nearly half of the Americans questioned at about the same time, said they thought the Israeli use of force was proportionate; and another 9% of American respondents thought the Israelis were not being tough enough.

Some of that extraordinary divide must be attributable to the very different realities on British and American television screens.

Meanwhile, more Iraqi civilians are dying every day than Lebanese, but the horror of that war barely appears on television screens in either country any more. Lebanon is newer and much safer to cover. Anyway, Iraq fatigue set in long ago.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:10 am
Israeli strike kills 33 farm workers in Lebanon

At least 33 farm workers, including many Kurds Syrians killed in IAF strike on trucks near Lebanon-Syria border
Reuters

Security sources in Lebanon said at least 33 farm workers, including many Kurds and Syrians, were killed on Friday when Israeli aircraft bombarded trucks being loaded with fruits at a farm on Lebanon's border with Syria.

They said the farm was near the village of Qaa in the northern tip of the eastern Bekaa Valley. Aircraft fired at least three rockets at the trucks which were being loaded with peaches and plums.

The dead and about 15 wounded were being evacuated to hospitals in Syria, they said.

The IAF has been targeting trucks in the area since the onset of the fighting in Lebanon for fear that the Syrians are attempting to

smuggle arms designated for Hizbullah use.

Despite Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah's recent threat to attack Tel Aviv if Beirut is bombed, Israeli fighter jets bombed overnight nine Hizbullah targets in the capital's Dahiya district, killing at least three people. The attack came after the IDF dropped leaflets urging residents to evacuate the area.

Bridge destroyed

IDF sources confirmed the attack, saying fighter jets targeted Hizbullah buildings, the home of a senior Hizbullah member and a Hamas office.

Lebanese officials said two people were wounded early Friday when Israeli fighter jets hit a civilian car and a van on the coastal road in the port city of Jounieh in the Christian heartland, 20 kilometers north of Beirut, the

A bridge in the Maameltein area near Jounieh was destroyed.

A Lebanese soldier was killed in another strike on an army post south of Beirut, a Lebanese official said.

The air force also targeted a bridge linking Beirut to southern Lebanon and targets in the vicinity of the Beirut International Airport. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/1,7340,L-3286305,00.html
0 Replies