ISRAEL - IRAN - SYRIA - HAMAS - HEZBOLLAH - WWWIII?

old europe

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:56 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Much of the West Bank is today controlled by Israel. Israel conquered the West Bank quite a while ago. So today that leaves Gaza a little of the West Bank and a little of Jerusalem to be governed by the Palestinian Arabs.

Much of the West Bank is occupied by Israel. At the same time, much of the West Bank is formally controlled by the Palestinian Authority.

Have you already looked up how much territory is formally controlled by the PA, or are you still making up your "facts"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:01 pm
old europe wrote:
. . . or are you still making up your "facts"?

Ican't does this consistently, because he is more dedicated to peddling ideology than he is to finding the truth about things. He's done it constantly with history, coming up with the most egregious bullshit to attempt to establish his propaganda. He once included the War of 1812 in a list of "pre-emptive" wars by the United States in a feeble and idiotic attempt to claim that the Iraq invasion was not without precedent. On another occasion he attempted to claim that Napoleon killed people on a scale with Hitler and Pol Pot, implying that Napoleon had an agenda to match that of those two monsters.

Ican't will always make up his "facts," because it is not fact he is concerned with--it is ideological purity and propagandistic justification.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:04 pm
ican wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
And, what is the alleged nature of that alleged Israeli discrimination against Israeli Arabs?

According the to Or Commission report, the nature of the Israeli discrimination against Israeli Arabs is that the government failed in a lack of comprehensive and deep handling of the serious problems created by the existence of a large Arab minority inside the Jewish state. The Israeli government has been primarily neglectful. The establishment did not show sufficient sensitivity to the needs of the Arab population, and did not take enough action in order to allocate state resources in an equal manner. The state did not do enough or try hard enough to create equality for its Arab citizens or to uproot discriminatory or unjust phenomenon.

So the Or Commission alleges Israel's government has not done enough for its Arab population! And you think that, if true, justifies terminating Israel and not openly criticizing the Arab killing of Israeli non-combatants? That's insane!

The state did not do enough or try hard enough to create equality for its Arab citizens or to uproot discriminatory or unjust phenomenon. Furthermore, the state of Israel maintains marriage cohabitation restrictions against its Arab citizens.

That's just the discrimination against the Arab Israelis. It oppresses the Palestinian people that, as a result of the 1948, and 1967 wars , fled areas now under the control of the Israeli government either through the urging of the Arab leadership in advance of the oncoming violence, or through the ethnic cleansing that the Zionists/Israelis perpetrated in an attempt to create an ethnically pure state, or, what actually resulted, to create a Jewish majority and a "manageable" Arab minority. The state of Israel refuses the Palestinians' right of return in order to maintain a Jewish majority there.

This is cause for the dismantling of the ethnocetrically discriminatory and oppressive Israeli regime.

Quote:
I think it's the Arab-Israeli population's responsibility to do enough for themselves and not the Israeli governent's responsibility. I think the same is true for any part of the population of America. Each individual and group of individuals in America is responsible (or ought to be) for doing enough for themselves.

The welfare and wellbeing of the Arabs of Israel and Palestine is the responsibility of both the Israeli leadership and the Arab leadership. It is the responsibility of government to ensure that discrimination and oppression are mitigated, or better yet, eliminated.

The ethnocentric drive of the state of Israel guarantees that discrimination and oppression by the state will continue against the Arabs of Israel and Palestine.
Quote:
InfraBlue wrote:

They want the ethnocentrically discriminatory and oppressive state to survive.

What? You think it oppressive to deny anyone elected to Israeli office the right to negate the existence of the State of Israel as the state of the Jewish people? Shocked That's not oppressive unless the Israelies were to forbid the Arabs to leave Israel and they do not do that.

It is discriminatory against the Arabs of Israel to have to accept the existence of the state of Israel, the state of the country in which they exist, as the state of an ethnicity to whom they do not belong.

As an analogy, it would be discriminatory of the USA if the USA were to bar people who aren't Anglo-Saxon Protestants from running for Congerss if they negated the existence of the state as the state of the Anglo-Saxon Protestant people.

Quote:
The Arabs making war on Israel say they want to make all of Palestine an Islamic state which would require any surviving Jews to convert to Islam or be killed. Now that would be true oppression.

Although I doubt the details of your assertion, i.e. that any surviving Jews would have to convert or be killed, the creation of an Islamic state in Israel/Palestine is not something I am arguing for. I am arguing for the creation of a single, egalitarian and pluralistic state, secular and democratic, for all of the peoples of Israel/Palestine. The moderate peoples there should take the initiative and create an open state before the situation with the Islamist extremists worsens.

Quote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Because I haven't criticized Arab rocket attacks on Israeli non-combatants in this thread does not mean I do not criticize Arab rocket attacks on Israeli non-combatants. Yours is a logical error based on an assumption.

No it isn't! My statement is based on the probability that what you do and do not do is a reliable indicator of what you do and do not think. My statement is based on the reality of the past absence of your criticism of Arab rocket attacks on Israeli non-combatants, and now in your last post the continuation of that absence. The only way you can logically refute my logical inference is to actually criticize Arab rocket attacks on Israeli non-combatants.

Now come on! Don't be coy!

Your inferential statement is based on assumptions which themselves are based on probabilities which themselves are based on merely your assumptions. Your logical error is threefold.

Quote:
InfraBlue wrote:
One thing is fanatic killing of Israeli non-combatants, another thing is Israeli self-defense of killing both Arab combatants and Arab non-combatants harboring Arab combatants. Yet another thing is collective punishment of Arab combatants, Arab non-combatants harboring Arab combatants, and the majority of Arabs who do neither. It is your faulty logic which attempts to equate the aforementioned.

I do not know whether or not a majority of the Arabs "do neither." I think you do not know that either. Remember that Arabs tolerating killer Arabs in their midst equates to harboring killer Arabs.

Remember also that most Palestinians do not have the wherewithal to confront these groups of militant extremists, much like the average Joe in New York doesn't have the wherewithal to confront the Mafia there in his neighborhood. I prefer to give the majority of the Palestinians the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Quote:
You are what you do and don't do!

Like the assumptions you make upon which to base your faulty logic.

My logic is not faulty, but yours is.

You've demonstrated your logic to be at best threefold faulty.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:13 am
Good post, infrablue; I agree about the single state. I didn't use to until I started reading more about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:04 am
Apparently, the rightwingnuts are unwilling (as always) to acknowledge that the United Nations established an Arab state as well as a Jewish state, which would be apparent to anyone who bothers to read General Assembly Resolution 181, which i have before posted in this thread.

The full text of GA Resolution 181 can be read here.

General Assembly Resolution 181 wrote:
The Constituent Assembly of each State shall draft a democratic constitution for its State and choose a provisional government to succeed the Provisional Council of Government appointed by the Commission. The Constitutions of the States shall embody Chapters 1 and 2 of the Declaration provided for in section C below and include, inter alia, provisions for:

Establishing in each State a legislative body elected by universal suffrage and by secret ballot on the basis of proportional representation, and an executive body responsible to the legislature;

Settling all international disputes in which the State may be involved by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security, and justice, are not endangered;

Accepting the obligation of the State to refrain in its international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any State, or in any other manner inconsistent with the purpose of the United Nations;

Guaranteeing to all persons equal and non-discriminatory rights in civil, political, economic and religious matters and the enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms, including freedom of religion, language, speech and publication, education, assembly and association;

Preserving freedom of transit and visit for all residents and citizens of the other State in Palestine and the City of Jerusalem, subject to considerations of national security, provided that each State shall control residence within its borders.

That resolution called for the establishment of co-equal Arab and Jewish states which were to reside in an economic and customs union.

By contrast, this was the proposal of the Jewish Peoples Council, which takes no account of the right of Arab Palestinians to have a state of their own:

From the text of The Declaration of the Esablishment of the State of Israel, which declaration by the Jewish Peoples Council at Tel Aviv, May 14, 1948: (The source used here is the Jewish Virtual Library, and cannot therefore be described as anti-Israeli; the text version of this document has used all caps for this passage, and it has therefore been copied verbatim.)

ACCORDINGLY WE, MEMBERS OF THE PEOPLE'S COUNCIL, REPRESENTATIVES OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF ERETZ-ISRAEL AND OF THE ZIONIST MOVEMENT, ARE HERE ASSEMBLED ON THE DAY OF THE TERMINATION OF THE BRITISH MANDATE OVER ERETZ-ISRAEL AND, BY VIRTUE OF OUR NATURAL AND HISTORIC RIGHT AND ON THE STRENGTH OF THE RESOLUTION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY, HEREBY DECLARE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A JEWISH STATE IN ERETZ-ISRAEL, TO BE KNOWN AS THE STATE OF ISRAEL.

The General Assembly Resolution was to have been implemented by April 1, 1948, and this declaration dates from May, 1948, which clearly demonstrates that the Jews in Palestine were not establishing their state on the strength of the Resolution, but only on those parts of that resolution which they thought they could appeal to for the establishment of a Jewish state. Israel has acted in bad faith toward the Palestinians from the very foundation of Israel.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:14 am
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Much of the West Bank is today controlled by Israel. Israel conquered the West Bank quite a while ago. So today that leaves Gaza a little of the West Bank and a little of Jerusalem to be governed by the Palestinian Arabs.

Much of the West Bank is occupied by Israel. At the same time, much of the West Bank is formally controlled by the Palestinian Authority.

Have you already looked up how much territory is formally controlled by the PA, or are you still making up your "facts"?

No, I have not "looked up how much territory is formally controlled by the PA." Nor do I intend to estimate "how much territory is formally controlled by the PA."

What is your definition of occupied?
What is your definition of formally controlled?

Until I obtain evidence from you demonstrating otherwise, I will "make up" the fact that occupied implies really controlled while formally controlled implies symbolically controlled.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:32 am
Setanta wrote:

Ican't will always make up his "facts," because it is not fact he is concerned with--it is ideological purity and propagandistic justification.

Setanta (alias Setantary) "will always make up his "facts," because it is not fact he is concerned with--it is ideological purity and propagandistic justification."

Evidence for my assertion is the statement included in the above post.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:04 am
Please! Setanta does not "make up his facts". He is one of a very small number whose factual assertions I rarely check into. Name calling should be left to the Left. We have no need for sinking to that level.

That said, fire away at Setanta's analysis and conclusions. He is every bit as likely to let his personal political convictions mar his thought, as any one else ... myself included. My greatest disappointment in Setanta isn't his scholarship, or even for that matter his erroneous conclusions, but his occasional loss of civility. On other occasions I've seen Setanta wag his finger in the face of the lunatics on his own side of the aisle.

If you have an argument, make it. If the opposition takes a position you think is wrong-headed, demonstrate it. Lets raise the standard of discussion, and freely admit that even if we disagree on some principles, we can behave like gentlemen, and not some grubby lynch mob.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:15 am
Good posts from Set and Infra Blue. You guys make a lot of sense.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Setanta wrote:
Apparently, the rightwingnuts are unwilling (as always) to acknowledge that the United Nations established an Arab state as well as a Jewish state, which would be apparent to anyone who bothers to read General Assembly Resolution 181, which i have before posted in this thread.

I guess I'm not perceived by Setanta to be a member of "rightwingnuts", because I have acknowledged here, do acknowledge here, and will continue to acknowledge here that the United Nations in its resolution ordered "an Arab state as well as a Jewish state" be established. It is my recollection that every rightist conservative participant here has acknowledged the same. I bet they do acknowledge the same and will continue to acknowledge the same.

However, the leftwingnuts here are unwilling (as always) to acknowledge those facts.

That resolution [in 1947] called for the establishment of co-equal Arab and Jewish states which were to reside in an economic and customs union.

By contrast, this was the proposal of the Jewish Peoples Council, which takes no account of the right of Arab Palestinians to have a state of their own
ACCORDINGLY WE, MEMBERS OF THE PEOPLE'S COUNCIL, REPRESENTATIVES OF THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF ERETZ-ISRAEL AND OF THE ZIONIST MOVEMENT, ARE HERE ASSEMBLED ON THE DAY OF THE TERMINATION OF THE BRITISH MANDATE OVER ERETZ-ISRAEL AND, BY VIRTUE OF OUR NATURAL AND HISTORIC RIGHT AND ON THE STRENGTH OF THE RESOLUTION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY, HEREBY DECLARE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A JEWISH STATE IN ERETZ-ISRAEL, TO BE KNOWN AS THE STATE OF ISRAEL.

The General Assembly Resolution was to have been implemented by April 1, 1948, [by the UN.] But the UN did not do implement its own resolution on April 1st as the UN had originally scheduled.

So, in May, 1948, the Jews in Palestine established their state on their own initiative when the UN failed to do so by April 1, 1948.

However, the Arabs in Palestine failed to establish their own state on their own initiative when the UN failed to do so by April 1, 1948.

Instead the Arabs in Palestine and on its borders waged war against Israel almost immediately after Israel established its own state. The result was ironic to say the least. While the Jews in Palestine had originally established its state in a relatively small area, after the Jews successfully defended their state, they had been rewarded by that action with a larger state.

"Those who cannot create, [try] to destroy."

0 Replies

FreeDuck

And you too, Asherman.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
ican711nm wrote:
While the Jews in Palestine had originally established its state in a relatively small area, after the Jews successfully defended their state, they had been rewarded by that action with a larger state.

I'm genuinely curious when I ask, where were the borders of the nascent state of Israel defined at the time of the declaration? I haven't been able to find this.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:23 am
Thank you Duck for the vote of confidence. I know that from time to time I let my own partisan feelings shade my judgement, but I do try to keep some control over what is often emotionally-motivated responses.

We can't control others, but we can and should control ourselves.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:24 am
Indeed. And that is why you (and others) are well respected.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:30 am
Asherman wrote:
Please! Setanta does not "make up his facts". He is one of a very small number whose factual assertions I rarely check into. ...

You are correct. I gave Setanta too much credit. He doesn't "make up facts", he misconstrues and misstates facts.

I recommend you change your policy and in future check into Setanta's "factual assertions."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:38 am
ican711nm wrote:

I recommend you change your policy and in future check into Setanta's "factual assertions."

I don't agree with Asherman all the time.
But what I do believe is that only very few people here have the knowledge and experience to recommend changes of his "policy".

You're certainly not fit to hold a candle to Asherman, ican, and give him such recommodations.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:51 am
Duck

Here are a series of maps of Israel from 1927 forward. The site is the University of Texas at Austin. Its a very good site, and you can often find useful and reliable information there.

Maps of Israel

Ican, being civil really isn't all that hard to do. Take Oscar Wilde's advice, "a gentleman never insults, unintentionally". Choose your words not to enflame but to engage. Even lunatics like Solve Coagula, Pachbel and F$F have feelings and offending them will neither change their minds, nor convince them to behave themselves in polite discussion. Ad hominem comments are only evidence that the speaker has no better argument to make. I believe that you have things of substance to say, but you shoot yourself in the foot every time you take the low road. Republicans and conservatives should be better than that.

Now if that doesn't prove beyond doubt my naivety, nothing will.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:58 am
I am as familiar as most people with Ican's protracted posts over an unfortunately extended period of time and I think I can fairly say that he is very rarely uncivil. Many other adjectives you could use, but probably not that one.

In fact, he is probably at his most uncivil when addressing me, because I think he is an arse.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 12:00 pm
Thank you, Asherman.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 12:01 pm
McTag wrote:
I am as familiar as most people with Ican's protracted posts over an unfortunately extended period of time and I think I can fairly say that he is very rarely uncivil. Many other adjectives you could use, but probably not that one.

In fact, he is probably at his most uncivil when addressing me, because I think he is an arse.

Thank you McTag! I KNEW there was a reason I liked you no matter how nutty your liberal propensities. Smile

I do suspect Ican is as human as the rest of us and occasionally doesn't wish to be civil in the face of repetitive and persistent personal attacks. But you are correct, for someone who has a lot to say, he keeps it pretty darn civil.
0 Replies