Mono- and di-glycerides

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:11 pm
Trans-fats have been outed as bad for human consumption over the last couple years (at least in the mainstream media, they were outed among health-food-nuts years ago). But, I have often wondered about mono- and di-glycerides as well.

Triglycerides (natural fats) are broken into mono- and diglycerides which are not classified as fat. Mono- and diglycerides are man-made (mostly) and used as emulsifyiers. If a food has both mono- and diglyceride listed as ingredients, would it not be the same as triglycerides? Do they stay seperate and function differently once seperated?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 981 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:20 pm
Yeah, the trans-fat stuff has taken a giant amount of time to become widely known, not sure why.

Don't know nothin' about glycerides.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:26 pm
Before I posted I spent some time working google...... and that after years of keeping my ears open. I still don't know much about it. I do know that my dad's cardiologist tests his triglycerides along with his cholesterol and that he's told my father to list triglycerides along with the other foods he's to cut back on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
There was big bucks in trans fats. They tried to ignore the bad news, until the mainstream folks began to realize what that stuff does to you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:33 pm
So, like, here's a triglyceride...

*^^^^^^^
*^^^^^^^
*^^^^^^^

And here's a diglyceride...

*^^^^^^^
*^^^^^^^

And here's a monoglyceride...

*^^^^^^^

The *** is glycerol, the ^^^^^^s are fatty acids. When you digest the stuff, you break apart the fatty acids from the glycerol and shunt them into different metabolic pathways. Your body then burns the fatty acids for energy or incorporates them into membranes, depending on what fatty acids are available in your food and which ones are needed for membrane function. (The glycerol gets used for a whole bunch of things, from energy to fat storage to amino acid synthesis...) The caloric content of the molecule (mono- or di- or triglyceride) depends on the number of fatty acids. The other stuff -- transfat issues, omega-three vs. omega-six, and so forth -- depends on the identity of the fatty acids in the molecule.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:02 pm
That's a help, thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:30 pm
So..........? would mono and di glycerides stay seperate in their incorporation into use in the body?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 09:51 pm
I haven't read anything about monos and dis getting together midstream... alternately, I haven't read anything about triglycerides breaking up. Which means nothing, as I only read news bits - long time since I took biochem.
Maybe P'dog and others will know.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:52 pm
littlek wrote:
So..........? would mono and di glycerides stay seperate in their incorporation into use in the body?

As they get absorbed, triglycerides get broken apart into fatty acids and glycerol, and put back together (or not) later on.

No reason that the same shouldn't happen to monoglycerides and diglycerides, so far as I know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:51 pm
That's what I was wondering. Thanks for that Pdog...... <trying to get my parents to eat healthier>
0 Replies