Somewhere only we know - what are the themes in that song?

safra

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:29 pm
I need to know the themes for some english essay.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,520 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:40 am
Hi Safra, a few details to get you started.

"Somewhere Only We Know" is a song by Keane and the third single from their debut album Hopes and Fears. However, it is considered the first of the "Hopes and Fears Era". This single reached number 3 in its first week and was Keane's best selling single. The cover art was designed by Madefire and Alex Lake, and represents leaves falling as on the music video.

"Somewhere Only We Know" was composed by Tim Rice-Oxley around 2001. Rice-Oxley composed this song out of hammering with the piano and based on David Bowie's song "Heroes"

It was first played on the guitar, just before Dominic Scott left the band. It was recorded as a demo the same year with piano instead of the guitar. Keane recorded the final version in 2003 at the Helioscentric Studios, East Sussex for the album.
Keane played this song at the historical concert Live 8 in London, along with "Bedshaped".

Richard Hughes, Keane's drummer, offered the following explanation of the song on Chris Flynn's fansite:

"We've been asked whether "Somewhere Only We Know" is about a specific place, and Tim has been saying that, for him, or us as individuals, it might be about a geographical space, or a feeling; it can mean something individual to each person, and they can interpret it to a memory of theirs... It's perhaps more of a theme rather than a specific message... Feelings that may be universal, without necessarily being totally specific to us, or a place, or a time..." The song is closely related to trees because of different reasons:

The three different music videos feature Keane on a forest
Live visuals for this song show quick slides of a forest
The cover of this single, with maple leaves falling
One early promo single showed a tree in flames
"Snowed Under" b-side refers to "Manser's Shaw", a forest area in Battle, East Sussex
"Walnut Tree" b-side obviously mentions the Walnut tree.

Features
Length: 3:57
Tempo: 87bpm
Key: A
Time signature: 4/4

Somewhere Only We Know - "It's about being able to draw strength from a place or experience you've shared with someone. I think its an idea a lot of people can relate to." - Tim - Mirror

"The set kicks off with "Somewhere Only We Know," a song Rice-Oxley says came from hammering away on the piano. "I was thinking of something like David Bowie's 'Heroes,' which you drive along to a really rocking beat," he says. "I really like the bridge and it's great fun to play live. It was one of the first things we recorded for the album." - Tim - Billboard.com

There are three videos for this song:

UK - Keane appear coming out of a studio and taking a taxi. Then they come across a forest where live the "simple thing aliens" (called "Roxleys" by some fans). Each Roxley represents the spirit of a tree.

US version 1 - The same above but without the "simple thing aliens".
US version 2 - Keane appear playing a gig in a hall but somehow are transported to a forest. The forest later disappears into a city and soon they return to the hall. This video was shot in May 29, 2004 in Hollywood, California.

The international video was directed by Corin Hardy, produced by White House Records and shot between November 22 and 23 2003. Hardy had an influence by Princess Mononoke movie and created the "simple thing" aliens, based on the "kodamas" appearing on that film.

The video saga starts with an image of a backstage door shortly before Keane gets through it with Tom holding a snare. They get on a British taxi cab. A little spirit is sat inside the taxi. Then they arrive to Manser's Shaw forest, a place in Battle, East Sussex. The "simple thing" alien remains in the cab. They began walking through the forest, "an empty land", across a "fallen tree" and finally arrive to a stream. They are now playing the song in the stream. Near the end of the song, the little spirits, Roxleys, appear again and get closer to Keane. Finally lights representing their hearts shine.

I hope that helps.
0 Replies

safra

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:46 pm
thanks!

I got something like that off wikipedia
0 Replies