Immigration and Nationality Act discriminating gays?

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:52 am
At least that's what Patricia Mail, president of the American Public Health Association, says.

Quote from today's Chicago Tribune, frontpage and page 6
Quote:
In the early years of AIDS, when many people thought a deadly disease dubbed "the gay cancer" might be transmitted via drinking glasses or doorknobs, Congress added HIV to the list of infections that could prevent a foreign visitor from entering the country.

Nearly two decades later, as the international Gay Games begin in Chicago this weekend, the law still bars any HIV-positive foreigner from visiting the U.S., whether it is to play basketball, attend a business meeting or stand up in a family wedding.
"The ban serves absolutely no scientific purpose," said Patricia Mail, president of the American Public Health Association "Our country has a long record of discrimination [against gays] and this is just one more example. ... This is strictly about politics."

The Immigration and Nationality Act denies visas to anyone with "a communicable disease of public health significance," and HIV was placed in that category in 1987. Only a handful of countries, including Saudi Arabia and Iran, have a similar policy regarding people with HIV.

Over the years, such mainline organizations as the American Medical Association and the World Health Organization have opposed the rule, saying there is no good reason to bar the HIV-positive from entering the country temporarily. Unlike infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, HIV is not spread by routine contact.

"Because of the way it's transmitted, [HIV] simply poses no threat to public health," Mail said.
... ... ...
Other than social conservative leaders, who insist that admitting infected tourists would accelerate the spread of disease, it's hard to find supporters of the policy. Abner Mason, a gay Republican appointed by former President George H.W. Bush to the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS, said he wanted to hold a conference on the topic but "could not find anyone who could defend it."

Online report: America's door shut to foreigners with HIV
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 616 • Replies: 5
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:59 am
I believe people with Ebola Virus are also banned from entering the US. Sounds like a good idea to me.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:16 am
The immigration laws do not discriminate against gays, unless of course you are trying to say that HIV/AIDS is a gay disease, which it is not. Maybe you should be asking whether US immigration policy discriminates against those with communicable fatal diseases.

Since the law does not take into account whether a person is gay or straight, but rather only whether the person has HIV, then it is not discriminatory. Don't you think?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:41 am
McGentrix wrote:
I believe people with Ebola Virus are also banned from entering the US. Sounds like a good idea to me.

On the other hand, HIV-infected Americans are wellcomed in other countries ... I've personlly counseled two US-soldiers, for instance.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:41 am
CoastalRat wrote:

Since the law does not take into account whether a person is gay or straight, but rather only whether the person has HIV, then it is not discriminatory. Don't you think?

I think so, it's not discriminatory.

I only copied the Chicago Trinune report, made an interogation mark and quoted the American Public Health Association et. al, who made remarks pointing to that, though.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 08:09 am
Immigration laws vary from country to country. That other countries opt to allow free access to immigrants that are HIV+ does not neccessitate the US adopting the same laws. Nor do we expect other countries to adopt the same laws that the US abides by.
0 Replies