I'd LOVE to learn to speak Italian!

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:02 pm
I've always wanted to learn Italian, however, I'm afraid of being a real dunce.

In High School, we had to take Latin and another foreign language. From I enjoyed Latin and got "B"s but of course, it's not something one can use in conversation. I don't remember speaking it that much….I remember more reading and translating. I still use Latin to figure out what an unfamiliar word means in English.

I also took Spanish, which I absolutely loathed. I wish I knew then I would end up living in Texas. I barely passed. It was a frustrating experience.

Today, I can recognize words and phrases that are written, primarily because they are things we use, eat, do and call them directly by their Spanish names. I can understand a few very simple sentences, IF the person is speaking very clearly to me, and not too fast.

My big problems were tenses and not speaking it out loud. I'm afraid of mispronouncing something and looking stilted and foolish….which is ridiculous because if someone is making an attempt to speak to me in English, I try hard to understand, and don't care what the person sounds like. They can say everything in the present tense, and I'll figure it out.

Anyway, since I'm past that window when you are very young and can pick up languages easily and actually think in that language, I'm at a loss.

I've looked online and of course there's many different programs out there. Rosetta Stone seems one of the most popular. I'd rather take a self paced course before trying to speak to another person (not too many Italians here) plus, I'd always have the dvd/cd's to use as a refresher. After I gain some confidence speaking, I'd take a class to hone my speaking skills.

So anyway….does anyone have a particular program they can recommend for a dense adult that might actually work and be fun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,567 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:11 pm
All you need to know is "Prego."

It means thank you, can I have some tea, please, where's the bathroom and waiter, there's a fly in my soup.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:15 pm
Thanks loads babe Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:21 pm
Somehow, I don't think you appreciate my contribution.

Prego

I pre-emptively accept your apology for using that disgusting emoticon.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:23 pm
caio. Cool
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:28 pm
Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:02 pm
Take a course - go for it. If you learned Latin, italian will be easy. The hardest part is figuring out what to do with the seeming over-abundance of vowels.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:39 pm
littlek wrote:
Take a course - go for it. If you learned Latin, italian will be easy. The hardest part is figuring out what to do with the seeming over-abundance of vowels.

eh....at this point I'd really rather do some home study.

As an adult I took an adult spanish class....honestly, found all the other people distracting...

I'd of enjoyed the class if I already had some speaking knowledge, but it was like they were getting in the way of my learning.

When I want to learn how to do anything, I like to cloister myself and concentrate so I can really emmerse myself. Plus I wouldn't be shy about talking out loud. Once I felt comfortable, I could try it with others.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:41 pm
Well then, buy a cd set. It's expensive, but you can bring it with you anywhere.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:43 pm
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if anyone knew of a particular on that's best.

I've seen ads for Rosetta Stone and looked at their website.

hmmm...I didn't look, but I wonder if there's some samples on there, just to see how they do it.

I like the idea of having something I can refer to in the future.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:47 pm
I know a good set for kids, but not for adults. Personally, I think taking a class, as distracting as it might be, would be the best way to learn. You can yap back at the cd, but it won't tell you if you're doing it right.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:51 pm
I will definately keep that in mind....

I wouldn't to anything until next month anyway....got guests coming in and have a couple bills to pay off first.

Not like it's a million dollars, but I like to put aside a little "me" money, know what I mean?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:52 pm
Oh, when I do something, I will definately let you know what I think about it...

and probably have questions.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:49 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Oh, when I do something, I will definately let you know what I think about it...

Good luck with your learning, then Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:17 am
Raphillon wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Good luck with your learning, then Smile

oh thanks...

I was looking at some on line basic lesson last night...you know, just free general stuff.

It did all look very similar to Latin, and conjugation isn't a problem, as far as saying something simple in the present tense. For instance I'm hungry, tired, thirsty, etc.

I don't think the vocabulary as far as nouns, adjectives, verbs will be a problem....it's the damn future, past tense stuff.

As someone from Roma...what would be your reaction to a tourist who was trying to converse with you, seemed to know the words, but wasn't getting the tenses right?

Would you appreciate they were making the effort, and think they will get better with time....or would you think they shoud keep their mouth shut until they can get it right.

I guess the reason I'm not to keen on formal classes with other people right away is the emphasis I would feel of having to say it perfectly correctly, knowing you'll be tested on it....

I more think that like a child learning a language, they can make their needs known, and gradually pick up the proper way.

What do you think Raphillon?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 03:21 am
When some tourist tries to speak Italian I usually try to help. How can they learn if they don't try?

I've never found the "classroom competition" right. If people help each other they improve faster, I think. Beside, I'm sure my english is very far from perfect too, this is part of the reasons I'm in the forum: to learn by other people's corrections at my mistakes :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 04:46 am
Thanks

I was thinking about this last night while exercising....I think I'm going to start by building my vocabulary of nouns, verbs and adjectives, without regard to saying them in any proper order....

I know my learning style, which is to see it, then write it down in my own hand while saying it.

If, let's say I write words like "towel", "swim" "headache" over and over while doing something else like watching TV, I know that by the time I write it a dozen or 20 times, that word will belong to me in my mind. At the same time I can be saying them out loud. I'm not really worried about the pronounciation, as I had no problem with Latin, and Italian is so phonetic.

Then, when I'm learning to put them together in proper sentences, I won't be confused by what the words MEAN, but can concentrate on saying them correctly in a meaningful way.

Re classes...I'm not really concerned about the "competition", it's a combination of things, some irrational.

There are old demons in language learning classes for me....I can say that's all in the past, but you know what? That doesn't mean they just "poof" disappear.

For instance, I remember sitting in Spanish class, year 1, and being terribly confused by the word "que".....depending on where or how it's used in a sentence, it can mean different things.....at that young age, I just didn't get it. I remember asking the teacher over and over in class how to tell the difference...back then I thought the word "table" should always just mean one thing. Anyway, one day it was holding the whole class up, I was getting embarressed and frustrated, and old Charley Woods in front of me turned around and whispered "God, you are SO stupid" That made me burst out crying in front of 30 other people.

OK, I know that won't happen today...but it shows to me that if I'm stuck on something, I need to take the time it takes for me individually to "own" it. I can move faster or slower, at my own understanding.

When I took an adult spanish class, that kinda happened to (not the crying part). But either I'd be ready to move forward, or I'd be stuck on something important, but the class would move ahead, and I'd never really "get" something.

Then, I'll find people to converse with, and have some confidence. I grew up in the Northeast part of the country, and can always call some old friends who grew up speaking Italian in the home. Actually, that's a good idea....there're my friends.

Anyway......considering my step-daughter is arriving in a couple of days, I'll be busy for the next week.

I think I'm going to try that with the vocabulary words....I mean, that's how babies (bambinos) learn.

R - your english is quite good....and actually, you have been very encouraging to me. Perhaps I'll use this thread to post my progress occassionally.

I'm not in a race to learn, I think the journey will be beautiful.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:01 pm
Chai, when you read a word, or write it, don't you hear it in your head? I do. I fear that learning vocab without hearing it first will lead to trouble with prononciation later. Just my 2 cents.

As far as speaking the language in Italy goes...... I've been there, people are generally very helpful. I think speaking only in the present tense would be fine unless you were trying to schedule something. And even then, you could probably get around it if you had to. Are you going to Italy?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:41 pm
What might be helpful for you is to listen to some Italian radio stations on the Internet.

Here's a link.

http://www.italiansinfonia.com/stations.htm

Listening to the language this way is madness, but you'll get an idea for how it sounds nonetheless. Buona fortuna bella.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
Gala, that's how I learned to speak Dutch. Radio.

In the old days it was short-wave radio.

Radio Nederland. You could listen to some Dutch-language programming, as well as English-language programming, and they had weekly Dutch lessons - with a little record you sent away for.

Listening to the radio regularly really helped me 'tune' my ear to the rhythm of the language - which is key for me. Current events on the news - versus where's the toilet, my aunt has a red pen - I think it's a better way to get a sense of how the language works. The interview programs are good - you can hear how a dialogue is supposed to work in the new language.
0 Replies