Are we all going to be latte?

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 06:34 pm
Are we all going to be latte?
Jul. 9, 2006
More and more mixed-race children are born. Is it possible that eventually all of us will be cafe-au-lait? I have no problems with that idea. Pure societies often become stale and deteriorate. A mix can be a healthy solution.
I remember moving to Quebec city and wondering for months what bothered me in a weird way. It was the fact that the population was 90% or more white, French speaking and catholic.
The day I saw it clearly I was glad. That unknown condition had puzzled me for a long time.

Webpage Title
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 710 • Replies: 5
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:25 pm
interesting article, d i. i'm biracial myself. i'll comment on a couple of points.

Quote:
But Mah and others say these common experiences are what make them feel most comfortable in the midst of other mixed people. "You meet someone mixed and you bond instantly," Mah explains. "It's like, `Oh my gosh, my long-lost brother!' You automatically feel comfort, like, `I understand this.'"

that's generally not been my experience. even with people who are half Japanese and half white like me, the fact i grew up in Japan & absorbed Japanese language & culture made me different from those who were raised American.

Quote:
The high intermarriage rate, says the 62-year-old Kojima, whose own children are biracial, is a direct result of the internment of Japanese Canadians during World War II, when they were seen as enemies to Canada.

i didn't know Canada had internment, like the US did. just this week, i stopped for a while at Manzanar, the facility where 10,000 Japanese-Americans were interned. even though there are no buildings standing, just a guard tower & some guardhouses, as soon as i saw the barbed wire, i thought, Guantanamo.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:39 pm
Good article, det. I prefer latte. It's about time we started to realize that there is only one race -- the human race.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 08:56 pm
I am thinking mixing, give or take a nuclear war or two, may effectuate some sense in all of us. Well, I'm from LA. Being one thing is getting to be boring. My niece, now approaching, eek, nineteen, has always liked guys of mixed heritage first.

Speaking more with a personal cringing, I've never from an early age understood why someone from anywhere or else gets to win.

Well, eventually I did, money.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 09:11 pm
It always makes me smile when I think of the billions of dollars spent on lotions to get a tan. I love 'em all, any shade.
Like I said before, there are only two questions I ask myself. Is this person interesting and is this person good-hearted? All else is window dressing.
When I was young I worked for 18 months with an Algerian, in a French coal mine. We were the best team around. Never bothered me that he didn't look like me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 09:18 pm
Agree on that, detano....
0 Replies