value of faith

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 04:01 pm
What determines the value of faith?

Is it the correctness of the assumptions made in believing that is the measure?

Or is it the motivation this faith produces in the believer?

Faith is essentially the capacity to trust what we don't understand.
One thing is to believe in it, accept it as the daily "backdrop".
Another thing is to act on it. That requires a great measure of trust, but maybe it can yield the answer to the question in this post.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,238 • Replies: 116
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 11:15 pm
Cyracuz,

I see a good analogy with "currency" here !
Faith like money provides "comforts". It is a sub-aspect of "language" which is institutionalized "social exchange" (including internal conversations of self with self). The "value of faith" is determined by the amount of "comfort" it brings.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:55 am
I believe that faith provides more than comfort.
I think it provides coherency.

The more I think about it I get the sense that our capacity to reason is not sufficient to grant this coherency on it's own.

I am talking about the coherency of experience. How we "glue" our impressions into "one experience" wich is our lives.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:03 am
Re: value of faith
Cyracuz wrote:

That one is easy to answer. Did i say easy. Yep.. E Z. LOL.

What determines the value of faith is:
who and what you put your faith in/on. Simple.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:33 am
Scott777ab wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

By this definition, and as faith is belief in something unknown, the value of any given faith can never be known.
Way to live in the dark.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:49 am
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

By this definition, and as faith is belief in something unknown, the value of any given faith can never be known.
Way to live in the dark.

I must correct you on this :

Faith according to the bible is not belief in something unknown, but that which has not been seen.

A christain's faith is in SOMETHING KNOWN, we know GOD, we know GOD to be real. We seem him at work in our lives, through us when we OBEY him. Now we HOPE to see him some day. And in that HOPE lies our FAITH. But in our Faith and Obidence we can see and actually know that GOD is alive and actively working in the world.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:58 am
hey scott

You look in the bible for the definiton of faith?

That's like looking in the macdonalds menu for the definition of food.

Also, "that wich is not seen" is so similar to "what we don't understand" that the point is minor, a matter of semantics.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:11 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
hey scott

You look in the bible for the definiton of faith?

That's like looking in the macdonalds menu for the definition of food.

Also, "that wich is not seen" is so similar to "what we don't understand" that the point is minor, a matter of semantics.

That which is not seen is no where even near that which we don't understand. That is such a bunch of BULL.

PROOF

I understand ATOMS.

The have protons neutrons and electrons that fly around the neculus. BUT CAN I SEE THEM>>>>>???? NO

You can understand and know without ever having seen something.
Thank you very much.

EDIT.
I can not help that you walk in spiritual darkness and are UNWILLING to even try to believe. That is YOUR CHOICE.

I not only UNDERSTAND that there is a GOD.
I not only BELIEVE that there is a GOD.
I KNOW there is a GOD.

I UNDERSTAND BELIEVE and KNOW there is a GOD.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:30 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

Way to live in the dark.

Faith according to the bible is not belief in something unknown, but that which has not been seen.

A christain's faith is in SOMETHING KNOWN, we know GOD, we know GOD to be real. We seem him at work in our lives, through us when we OBEY him. Now we HOPE to see him some day. And in that HOPE lies our FAITH. But in our Faith and Obidence we can see and actually know that GOD is alive and actively working in the world.

That just leads in circles.
You have 'faith' in god because you can not see (or otherwise experience in any naturalistic way) him, yet you know he exists through faith.
I'm getting dizzy

(By the way, the spellchecker is on the bottom right of the text window. Just a tip from one a2ker to another)
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

Way to live in the dark.

You have 'faith' in god because you can not see (or otherwise experience in any naturalistic way) him, yet you know he exists through faith.
I'm getting dizzy

(By the way, the spellchecker is on the bottom right of the text window. Just a tip from one a2ker to another)

Sorry Doctor S i can not explain it any better than I already have.
I just KNOW it to be the TRUTH.
Sorry.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:53 pm
scott wrote:
PROOF

I understand ATOMS.

The have protons neutrons and electrons that fly around the neculus. BUT CAN I SEE THEM>>>>>???? NO

Thank you very much.

EDIT.
I can not help that you walk in spiritual darkness and are UNWILLING to even try to believe. That is YOUR CHOICE.

I KNOW there is a GOD.

Actually, you can see atoms. They manifest as "reality", the flesh of your body, the keys you are pressing to write your posts.

Seems you use the terms know and understand rather broadly.

Also, if you UNDERSTAND, BELIEVE and KNOW there is a GOD, then what does that have to do with faith? (never mind the contradiction in saying that you know something that you believe)

No disrespect, scott. I do not really care what you believe. I am not interested in another "debate" on the truth of abstract ideas.
What I am interested in is how what you believe benefits you. What is the aspect of your faith that carries meaning?
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:15 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
scott wrote:
PROOF

I understand ATOMS.

Thank you very much.

EDIT.

I KNOW there is a GOD.

Actually, you can see atoms. They manifest as "reality", the flesh of your body, the keys you are pressing to write your posts.

Seems you use the terms know and understand rather broadly.

Also, if you UNDERSTAND, BELIEVE and KNOW there is a GOD, then what does that have to do with faith? (never mind the contradiction in saying that you know something that you believe)

No disrespect, scott. I do not really care what you believe. I am not interested in another "debate" on the truth of abstract ideas.
What I am interested in is how what you believe benefits you. What is the aspect of your faith that carries meaning?

EXCUSE ME I CAN NOT SEE ATOMS . What is seen is a huge collection of atoms brought together to form the matter that can actually be seen with the human eye. To see an atom, you need a mircoscope and to see God you need Faith. Goes kind of hand in hand both require something other than the eyes to see. Now with Atoms its external but with God its Internal.

And no disrespect, Cyracuz. I totally dont give a FLYING flip what you DONT believe in. I am not instrested in whether you are intrested in another "debate" or not, I dont care.

I say all of EVOLUTIONARY science is nothing but ABSTRACT IDEAS.
YOU tell me how your BELIEF in such BS Benefits you?
Why is it that this aspect of BS scienece carries such a HUGE meaning for you?

Is it so you can say there is NO GOD.
You are being foolish.

Psa 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

What I am interested in is how what you believe benefits you.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

What is the aspect of your faith that carries meaning?
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.
And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,Amen.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:22 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:

Way to live in the dark.

I'm getting dizzy

Sorry.

What are the means of epistemology through which you know this?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:34 pm
scott, you are presumptuous in your self-righteousness.

Quote:
Goes kind of hand in hand both require something other than the eyes to see. Now with Atoms its external but with God its Internal.

EVERYTHING requires more than the eyes to see. Eyes merely shine light.

Quote:
And no disrespect, Cyracuz. I totally dont give a FLYING flip what you DONT believe in. I am not instrested in whether you are intrested in another "debate" or not, I dont care.

No disrespect? You certainly sound disrespectful. If you don't care then get off my thread and leave room for those who understands the question.

Quote:
I say all of EVOLUTIONARY science is nothing but ABSTRACT IDEAS.
YOU tell me how your BELIEF in such BS Benefits you?
Why is it that this aspect of BS scienece carries such a HUGE meaning for you?

Is it so you can say there is NO GOD.
You are being foolish.

All of evolutionairy science IS but abstract ideas. But the same holds true for every religion and all spiritual thought.

Incidentally, evolutionairy science bears some resemblance to actual events.
I can also see the "truth" in the genesis.

These ideas are not in conflict in me.
I am not saying there is no god.
I am only saying that I don't presume to know anything about it.

So, again, I don't care what you all believe. That is not what I wish the debate to be about.
I am merely asking the question: What determines the value of faith?
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:44 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
scott, you are presumptuous in your self-righteousness.

No disrespect? You certainly sound disrespectful.

And so did you to me.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:45 pm
plus i wasn't be disrespectful i was being sarcastic.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:46 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

I have already answered this question.

What, and who you believe in.
Simple.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 01:58 pm
What and who you believe in..

So you're saying that all value of your faith rests soley on the things you believe in?

Would you say that the value of a hammer is the steel of it's body? Or is it the houses it can build that is the value of the hammer?

Faith is a tool, same as reason is a tool. What you believe is the "body" of that tool, but it is not the value of it. The important thing is what it does for you.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:52 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:

Sorry.

What are the means of epistemology through which you know this?
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:31 pm
Epistemology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Epistemology is the branch of philosophy which studies the nature and scope of knowledge. The word "epistemology" originated from the Greek words episteme (knowledge) and logos (word/speech).

Much of the debate in this field has focused on analyzing the nature of knowledge and how it relates to similar notions such as truth, and belief. Much of this discussion concerns justification. Epistemologists analyze the standards of justification for knowledge claims, that is, the grounds on which one can claim to know a particular fact. In a nutshell, epistemology addresses the questions, "Do you really know what you think you know?" and, if so, "How do you know what you know?"

The Epistemolgy of what I believe has been proven to me by the empiricial evidence that God has done within my life.

Fact:
I have seen people who should be have gotten hurt get up without a sratch at meetings in a church. Like one guy who fell backwards on day and hit his head really hard I MEAN HARD it made such a loud THWACK he should have had a lump on his head. He had no damage.

Fact:
I have seen evil men become good Because of the bible but every time they tried to be good without GOD they failed.

Fact:
I have seen hell.

Fact:
I have seen God as though looking through a smoky plain of Glass.

Fact:
I have seen the Son as though looking through a smoky plain of Glass.

Fact:
I have heard God call my name while asleep.

Fact:
I have heard God call my name while awake.

Fact:
I have heard God call my name while awake while out in a FOREST where THERE WAS NO ONE BUT ME AROUND.

GOD has proven himself empirically to me.

By Sight.
By Hearing.
By Touch. (while seeing hell i could feel the flames.)
By Taste. (while seeing hell i could taste the sulfur.)
By Smell. (while seeing hell i smelled the sulfur.)

GOD EXISTS.
He has EMPIRICALLY proven himself to me.
I WILL NOT DENY HIM.
JESUS IS JEHOVAH who is MY GOD and MY SAVIOUR, and MY LORD

I have now shown that God can be both EMPRICALLY and EPISTEMOLOGICALLY proven. What other big and obsure words you guys going to drag out of the dic to try to hide and cover your disbeliefs?
0 Replies