PAIN.....Is it all in your head?

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:36 am
I've had broken bones for up to 2 weeks without going to doctor, stichs without anestesia, deep cuts that I just super glue and tape back together, and a dislocated shoulder that I could not use but had to wait 5 days to get put back in. Most had to do with sports and needed/wanted to keep playing, some had to do with livestock and HAD to keep going. Three different doctors have told me that I have a high tolerance for pain, they just said "some people are like that".

I have a friend that can't take any pain, goes to doctor for the most minor things you could think of. The last was a jammed finger. I've always thought he was a "pansy", but I think he actually "thinks" about his pain more & has more time to think about it and that is why he hurts so much and goes to doctor at the sign of a splinter.

Does anyone know more about this? I don't consider myself "tough", but compared to my friend..........

I guess my question is, are most pains just in your head?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 680 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:07 am
Pain is a very real and natural phenomenon. It is actually unnatural to walk around with a dislocated shoulder or broken bones and not be bothered by it. Nature has provided us with pain so we do not harm ourselves further. I have read of people who feel no physical pain at all and the consequences to them in later life are very nasty.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 11:26 am
Sensory impressions vary widely from person to person.

You have a high pain threshold. Your friend has a low one.

Perhaps your friend can see further, or smell more keenly, or hear more clearly than you can. These differences exist. They are caused by differences in individuals DNA.

So is pain perception.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 11:49 am
Certainly there is some cultural conditioning involved as well -- especially, I think, around what the expectations for tolerable levels of pain are. And definitely you can learn early in life to tolerate certain levels or types of pain -- or not.

You think about some Hindu rituals that involve running blades through body parts without so much as a flinch, about the sort of pain people lived and live with without pain relievers, anesthetics, proper dentistry... I'm sure there is a familial association, but the development of the mind (in my opinion) must play a huge part.
0 Replies

LuckyLad

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 03:46 pm
Broke another bone! Mad Finger, found out when take'n a steer to vet and asked him to x-ray my hands. We looked, drank some beer, and found I had a crack at the joint. Not broke completly. It's almost always at a joint! Finger won't straighten out 100%, but neither does the other 3 I've broken. Got beaten up by them damn cattle this past week, must have been the weather! Problem is I need my hands, can't have a cast like he suggested. I figure if it gets crooked I'll join the circus! Wife & kids always make fun of my hands anyway. Rolling Eyes I almost enjoy pain anymore, I know I'm alive.

Just had to tell someone 'cause I can't tell the wife or she'll get pissed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:44 pm
(shaking head)

you cowboys....

I like that..."I was taking a steer to the vet, so I asked him to xray my hand...." Laughing

Sounds like my husband...I'll come home and he'll have dried blood all over his arm....I don't even ask.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
Luckylad--

You have my sympathy. So does your wife.
0 Replies

LuckyLad

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:39 pm
No sympathy from wife, 'cause she doesn't know half the stuff that has happened to me. I always hose off before I come in the house, hides it better. Rolling Eyes I'm just glad she isn't there when "things turn ugly"! When they say "Sometimes you gotta take the bull by the horns", they MEAN IT!

I really do believe that pain is in your head. When a job needs done, I don't care what is wrong with you..................you get it done. You get bored and start think'n about what is wrong with you and it hurts worse. My hand and arm hurts more now than it did an hour ago.

Chia Tea, I'm not a "cowboy". Not many around anymore, THEY were tough. Dieing breed. You sound like my wife, she really doesn't want to know what happened, just don't get blood on the couch! :wink:
0 Replies