JB's interactive SAT practice center

J-B

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:20 am
I think now its the proper time to announce the decision on my university study.

To make it brief: I am going to apply for a university in the U.S.
(Sorry Clare, maybe it will disappoint you a bit. I do love Britain, but you know, I cannot afford this love :wink: )

My idealest one is Harvard, although it's one of the hardest, I still have some confidence in myself to achieve it.

To apply for a U.S. university,regardless of the personal statment, extracurricula activity reports, etc. SAT test results are needed. So now I am also preparing for this test. I anticipate to take the exam in HongKong next Spring.

Breathtaking Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 19
No top replies

J-B

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:31 am
I have found that the most tricky part of the exam is its essay-writing section.
I wrote my first one today.

The assignment is:
Quote:
sense of happiness and fulfillment, not personal gain, is the best motivation and reward for one's achievements. Expecting a reward of wealth or recognition for achieving a goal can lead to disappointment and frustration. If we want to be happy in what we do in life, we should not seek achievement for the sake of winning wealth and fame. The personal satisfaction of a job well done is its own reward.

Assignment: Are people motivated to achieve by personal satisfaction rather than by money or fame? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

And here is my essay. (God damn it! I took 10 more minutes than stated to finish it)
Quote:

Although nearly every person around me are striving for their better materialistic lives everyday, although I find no grounds to deny that the issue of surviving is always a priority over the issue of personal satisfaction, although here I am very likely to be accused of and be misunderstood as practicing cynicism, I still cannot cease to believe that, every individual person should, at least try to live an extraordinary life.

A purely materialistic person is nothing more than a beast or a machine relentlessly churning out money and products. But look at those great people, especially those great poets, philosophers and artists. The essential thing that made up of their greatness, was that they truly found what they really wanted deep from their heart, and set out to pursue it for a whole lifetime, therefore ultimately made their legacies withhold time's judgement. Li Po, the Chinese poet of Tang Dynasty, is among one of them. As soon as he found his jobs in the government actually oppressed his attitude, personality and lofty dream, he quit, even it meant a poor and solitary life for him. And this attitude and act, along with the high literary value in his work, made him one of the greatest romantic poet in the history of China.

Those who do their jobs and lead their lives purely in pursuit of money or fame may really achieve something, they may ultimately find a decent spot to stand on in the society, they may be even very affluent or famous in the end. But deep in the core they are empty and feeble because what they achieved are not what they truly desire but what are valued by the others and thus treasured by themselves. In other words, they live as other's slaves. These are what we called, "petty", and mankind's strength and honor never did, never does, and never will derive itself from this pettiness.

I think this essay lacks sufficient examples to support its idea. Instead, it greatly relies on long sentences (how to describe those sentences with the same structure and express similar ideas?), which inevitably makes it shallow and the reading of it tedious.
How do you think of my first essay? How will you score it on a scale of 6?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:34 am
Besides, here is the scoring guide:
Quote:

SCORE OF 6
An essay in this category demonstrates clear and consistent mastery, although it may have a few minor errors. A typical essay

effectively and insightfully develops a point of view on the issue and demonstrates outstanding critical thinking, using clearly appropriate examples, reasons, and other evidence to support its position
is well organized and clearly focused, demonstrating clear coherence and smooth progression of ideas
exhibits skillful use of language, using a varied, accurate, and apt vocabulary
demonstrates meaningful variety in sentence structure
is free of most errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCORE OF 5
An essay in this category demonstrates reasonably consistent mastery, although it will have occasional errors or lapses in quality. A typical essay

effectively develops a point of view on the issue and demonstrates strong critical thinking, generally using appropriate examples, reasons, and other evidence to support its position
is well organized and focused, demonstrating coherence and progression of ideas
exhibits facility in the use of language, using appropriate vocabulary
demonstrates variety in sentence structure
is generally free of most errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCORE OF 4
An essay in this category demonstrates adequate mastery, although it will have lapses in quality. A typical essay

develops a point of view on the issue and demonstrates competent critical thinking, using adequate examples, reasons, and other evidence to support its position
is generally organized and focused, demonstrating some coherence and progression of ideas
exhibits adequate but inconsistent facility in the use of language, using generally appropriate vocabulary
demonstrates some variety in sentence structure
has some errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics

SCORE OF 3
An essay in this category demonstrates developing mastery, and is marked by ONE OR MORE of the following weaknesses:

develops a point of view on the issue, demonstrating some critical thinking, but may do so inconsistently or use inadequate examples, reasons, or other evidence to support its position
is limited in its organization or focus, or may demonstrate some lapses in coherence or progression of ideas
displays developing facility in the use of language, but sometimes uses weak vocabulary or inappropriate word choice
lacks variety or demonstrates problems in sentence structure
contains an accumulation of errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics

SCORE OF 2
An essay in this category demonstrates little mastery, and is flawed by ONE OR MORE of the following weaknesses:

develops a point of view on the issue that is vague or seriously limited, and demonstrates weak critical thinking, providing inappropriate or insufficient examples, reasons, or other evidence to support its position
is poorly organized and/or focused, or demonstrates serious problems with coherence or progression of ideas
displays very little facility in the use of language, using very limited vocabulary or incorrect word choice
demonstrates frequent problems in sentence structure
contains errors in grammar, usage, and mechanics so serious that meaning is somewhat obscured

SCORE OF 1
An essay in this category demonstrates very little or no mastery, and is severely flawed by ONE OR MORE of the following weaknesses:

develops no viable point of view on the issue, or provides little or no evidence to support its position
is disorganized or unfocused, resulting in a disjointed or incoherent essay
displays fundamental errors in vocabulary
demonstrates severe flaws in sentence structure
contains pervasive errors in grammar, usage, or mechanics that persistently interfere with meaning
Essays not written on the essay assignment will receive a score of zero.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 06:44 am
Embarrassed I have already found some grammatical errors of my essay after my recheck....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:21 am
Hey JB - Good luck! Do you want help with editing?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
Because I have already edited once on that post, so...

But that's not the point anyway. What I need most is suggestion, evaluation, and even criticism so that my writing capability can get improved. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:41 pm
I'm probably not the one to help you. Are the SATs there the same SATs as they give here? I mean, do they have a different scoring system for non-native speakers?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:53 pm
Nope.

It's just the same SAT. :wink:
Maybe I have more knowlege in SAT, but certainly not in writing, right? Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 07:15 am
Here is a sample essay on the same assignment which has a full mark
Code:Even though we live in a capitalist society, I still cannot help but believe, despite my own cynicism, that people are more motivated to achieve something for personal satisfaction rather than monetary gains. Look at Chekov's short story, "The Bet." A man agrees to sacrifice fifteen years of his life in prison in exchange for a million dollars. Obviously his motivation for such an extreme bet is wealth, but by the end of the prison sentence, the man could care less about the money. After years of introspection, of reading Shakespeare, The Bible, and textbooks, the man actually comes to despise the money he once sought; the money he signed away fifteen years of his life for. He does not collect his money from the banker, he runs away to be on his own and continue to live the life of solitude he has learned to love, free of money and possessions.

Also, in a psychology class, one of the first things students study when they come to the topic of motivation, is external stimulus versus personal drive. Any textbook will tell one that studies show that a child is more likely to put as much energy as possible into completing a task when it is something that makes him happy, than if he was doing it for a physical reward. A child is more likely to get good grades, if it makes him feel good about himself, than if his parents offer to pay him every time he makes the honor roll. I agree with this theory on motivation because I see it play out everyday in my life. If my older sister had been concerned with money and fame, which reality television tells us every night is important, she would have gone to college after graduating high school. She knew though, that school and learning did not make her happy, and she was not going to suffer through four more years of school just because a college degree could lead to a more successful job. Right now she does not make as much money at her job, but she likes her life and the way she lives; she has more fun answering phones and dealing with other people at work than she would behind a desk in a classroom. This past year I myself have been forced to look at my priorities as well. I have worked hard in school all my life and have made honor roll semester after semester, because I enjoy it. I have not filled up my schedule with classes I did not want because calculus and economics look good on a college transcript. I had a high enough GPA to join the National Honor Society, but I chose not to join because even though it might have impressed some admissions officers, it was not something that was going to make me happy. Instead I spend my time studying Creative Writing, Art History, and the other subjects I feel truly passionate about.

There is a pleasure principle in psychology, which basically means that one will do whatever will make them most happy or least unhappy. I think that is true, and I feel that the happiness most people seek out is not about money or luxury. Maybe it looks like that from the media, because advertising says that people want to be like Donald Trump, but that is not real life. Real life is my next door neighbor who gardens as a second job for small fees because he loves to be outside, working with his hands in the nice weather. I am sure no one would mind winning the lottery, but to say that it is our primary motivator in life is sad and untrue. A person who is happy and making minimum wage is likely to live longer than someone who spends his or her life working sixty four hour weeks at a stressful job to make money hand over fist. Are some people very driven by money? Yes. Is that more important than the personal satisfaction that comes from doing something good? Literature, psychology, and our personal lives tell us no, and I hope it stays that way.

Quote:
Why this Essay Received a Score of 6
This outstanding essay insightfully and effectively develops the point of view that, "Even though we live in a capitalist society, I still cannot help but believe ... that people are more motivated to achieve something for personal satisfaction rather than monetary gains." The writer demonstrates outstanding critical thinking by focusing on clearly appropriate examples from "Literature, psychology, and our personal lives" to support this position. The essay begins by describing Chekhov's "The Bet" as a short story that, through its main character's changed priorities after "years of introspection" in prison, ultimately places higher value on a "life of solitude ... free of money and possessions" than on wealth. The writer continues to demonstrate outstanding critical thinking by offering as evidence the psychological principle of "external stimulus versus personal drive" and several examples of how this principle has been borne out in a sister's and the writer's own lives. The essay concludes by once again drawing on psychology, this time the concept of the "pleasure principle," to reinforce the idea that "the happiness most people seek out is not about money or luxury" but in "the personal satisfaction that comes from doing something good." This well-organized and clearly focused essay demonstrates coherence and progression of ideas. The essay consistently exhibits skillful use of language and demonstrates meaningful variety in sentence structure ("After years of introspection, of reading Shakespeare, The Bible, and textbooks, the man actually comes to despise the money he once sought; the money he signed away fifteen years of his life for"). Thus, this essay demonstrates clear and consistent mastery and is scored a 6.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 07:44 am
I think your essay was far better worded than the original question. Whoever wrote that has a tendency towards redundance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 09:47 am
JB - I did have a reason for asking. I have a housemate from a foreign country who took the GRE (a test taken to get into graduate school) and they graded it differently since she was a non-native speaker. I guess they don't practice this weighted grading for the SAT testing. That's too bad.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:31 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I think your essay was far better worded than the original question. Whoever wrote that has a tendency towards redundance.

I agree ossobuco. That's why I'm afraid that I haven't put enough examples inside, instead, sheer ideas.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:49 pm
littlek wrote:
JB - I did have a reason for asking. I have a housemate from a foreign country who took the GRE (a test taken to get into graduate school) and they graded it differently since she was a non-native speaker. I guess they don't practice this weighted grading for the SAT testing. That's too bad.

Honestly I do agree with the College Board (those who make and conduct SAT). Smile See, nearly all the university classes are mixed with different nationalities. It has to be made sure that all the students, whatever the nationality, must be above a same standard of the ability of using language. so the idea is simple: Biased in the test, or biased in the class.
(Perhaps, your housemate is applying to a class for non-native students, or language communication is of less acount in graduate schools?)
Thanks for the kind intentions to unburden me :wink:

Btw, one bad thing I often and like to forget, but which has to be reminded: It is determined to be "weighted" since we all should learn English. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:51 pm
I'll look at it harder in a bit. I hope a couple of other a2kers come by who are pretty smart about things like essay analysis. Sozobe and Noddy
and Jespah are some that I'm thinking of..

By the way, did you ever contact Jespah through the help desk? I'm sure I know what she was trying to contact you for, not anything that you have done wrong. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the tiny blue letters "contact us" and ask for Jespah, if you haven't already.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:57 pm
Thanks osso, I am on my way
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 05:58 pm
^JB^, how long should that essay have taken to write?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 06:02 pm
ehBeth wrote:
^JB^, how long should that essay have taken to write?

25 minutes. That's the most tricky part. It means that I may only have 1-2 minutes to produce and structure my ideas.

Osso? I logged on in the Help Desk but it redirected me into the same page as if I hadn't sent a e-mail!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:35 am
JB, when you go to the Contact Us page, don't try to sign in at the right. Instead, fill out the part on the left (you select a subject) and click Next, then follow the directions. Thanks.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:40 pm
OK, thanks
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 02:50 am
New essay
Assignment:
Quote:
What gives us more pleasure and satisfaction: the pursuit of our desires or the attainment of them?

MY ESSAY
Quote:
I do believe the pursuit of our desires give us more pleasure than the attainment of them. If you see the achievement as an arrow, attainment will naturally be the sharp point. It might be the most noticeable part. But you still couldn't deny that the far longer stick of "pursuit" bears the chief work of an arrow's mission.
To take myself as an example. I busy myself reading books everyday. I don't think in such ways as :" Ahh, I going to get a literature Ph.D in Harvard someday!" It's the sheer happiness of reading itself that encourages me. I believe even if I really have achieved something in that field, such as an Ph.D diploma and fail to shift my objective, the happiness will forsake me. And then, hollowness will preside over.
"Only when you have been to the deepest valley, can you understand how magnificent it is to stand on the peak of mountains. " Thus spoke U.S former president Richard Nixon. It's true .Without the appreciation of those under the peak, what will be the point of a lonely peak then? Life is so colorful with so many unexpected events, of which few are really the moments of "attainment". If a person sees "attainment" as the sole form of achievement, the only source of pleasure, I wonder if that life might be a bit too boring and miserable.

Is it a bit too short? Confused
0 Replies