Antwone Fisher

Sofia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:13 am
Agreed with LW. I really felt thrust back into the era in Far From Heaven.
And, Denzel's possibly best work was in Philadelphia. I felt him--especially in the first part of the movie, when he was grossed out by Hanks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:23 am
His growing compassion and understanding of Hanks culminated in the famous opera scene -- a whole box of Kleenex scene. It also made the connection between prejudice against someone because of the color of their skin and prejudice because of their sexuality.
This is being discussed elsewhere in the "Six Degrees of Seperation" thread. Being a gay African American, you've got two strikes against you and it seems to have manifested itself in the verdict in that case.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 11:27 am
After I watched "Fisher", while the credits were rolling, I was muttering to myself "Denzel Washington may be the baddest black man on the planet." What I was flashing on was how he tries to bring urgent realism to whatever he does - and topicality. Also, the way he is fiercely protective of his family life, that he has been with the same woman for so many years (whom he honors at every chance), and how he never ever seems to forget what are the truly important things in life - when I've seen him interviewed. Nobody - nobody has ever tackled a black man's sexuality from the perspective of an insecure, emotionally damaged young person like Denzel did with the Antwone Fisher story. If for no other reason than that, I thought this was an important movie - as affecting to me as (the themes of black/white codependence in) Glory.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 12:14 pm
Denzel is easily a role model for any white male just as much as an African American. He's many faceted, sincere and open minded and gives 100% of himself in any effort. He's carried not-so-great movies just by his prescence. He could easily be my favorite actor of the past three decades if it wasn't for Kevin Spacey.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:07 pm
I was thinking that, too, LW.

I remember seeing Bill Cosby at the height of his fame on Donahue. Donahue introduced him as the top black leader in television entertainment--and Bill said what I was thinking-- "Top black entertainer...black ain't got nothing to do with it--I'm the top TV entertainer."

Donahue wanted to press the blackness issue--but, it must be special because you're black. Cosby wasn't having it. He said, "I'm a man." They went to it for a while. I agreed with Cosby. But, there was a lot of flack against Cosby by some minority members, and if I remember correctly, the NAACP.

I was just thinking along the same lines. No argument with snood's characterization. That was quite a digression. I just think these men, Denzel and Cosby, shouldn't be measured by a limited scale, but THE scale, where they place very respectfully.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 01:29 pm
You got that right, Sofia. And amen.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:56 pm
Saying that Denzell Washington (or Bill Cosby) is the greatest black entertainer is like saying that William Shakespeare was the greatest English poet of his time or daVinci the finest Italian artist. What's ethnicity got to do with it? As Duke Ellington used to say, 'If it sounds good, it is good.'
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:58 pm
Word. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:10 pm
I think that by adding the adjective that indicates color or ethnicity, people are simply continuing prejudicial behavior. If a person is a good actor, painter, writer or whatever, he's GOOD, and his race or ethnicity is not an appropriate part of the equation. Pointing out a person's color or ethnicity is, to me, just as bigoted as saying that someone is a credit to their race, religion, etc. I think that the idea of qualifying the greatness of a person by adding his color or ethnicity is very patronizing.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:25 pm
Absolutely, Phoenix. By categorizing a person, one is saying that person is outstanding only within the context of his/her peer group, not universally. You're right. It's inherited 'continuing prejudicial behavior.'
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 05:50 pm
Curiously we don't do that with nationalities -- Sir Laurence Olivier is often cited as the finest screen actor of all times not the finest English actor. It's condescending to use a persons color as a criteria for a compliment and those of any political persuasions are apt to do it. They do gain something from some in their contituency who may worry about how they are preceived and many of them probalby have something to worry about.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 05:56 pm
Another point about ethnic/racial/religious adjectives. The people who use them are lumping people into groups, rather than considering them as individuals.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 06:00 pm
I don't know what happened but I made this a normal topic after it didn't seem to pick up and now it's going full steam ahead. The subject is getting into politics and other matters but it certainly is stimulating. Thanks, snood.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:43 am
Hi, everybody! I just joined and am starting by running through all the threads which seem interesting to me: needless to say, this one struck a chord.

When I saw Antwone Fisher, I was very moved, almost transported. Although I am white, the fact that it features African-American characters in the lead parts just disappeared for me almost immediately. It is simply a terrific movie and I easily identified with various characters.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:49 am
Welcome to A2K and the Film Forum, angelina.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:18 pm
Thank you, Lightwizard, I am happy to be here Exclamation
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:20 am
Check into some other topics -- we're a good group here.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:27 pm
Thank you, LightWizard, I have been doing just that. Very interesting group!

Some of the issues touched on in this thread are quite provocative; for instance, do you ever get discriminated against being a blue-ish little cutie as you are? I know I find a lot of people seem to like me only for my aroma; they seem to sniff and run...so sad :wink: !
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:44 pm
Sully will either comfort you or scare the hell out of you! Actually, he's suppose to make you laugh and I try that quite often!
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:47 pm
Be careful, Lightwizard, or I will prick you with my thorns! I called you a cutie (and you do make me laugh) ... but, you have exposed just one of my limitations. Who in the heck is Sully (a children's movie character)?
0 Replies